1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat Belt pretensioner

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kromerok, Feb 20, 2018.

1. kromerok

kromerok Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Does anyone know if the seat belt pretensioner connector can be bought separately? Its a yellow connector that goes where the red is in the picture. I'd ideally like to splice it into the wire harness. If you have a part number that'd be incredible.

Screenshot 2018-02-20 17.29.56.png

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm wondering why you want to do this? Wouldn't it affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle, and hence you insurance etc?

3. kromerok

kromerok Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Can you explain your reasoning? My plan is to splice in the connector I dont understand how it might do that.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I assume you're asking because the original was damaged somehow?

The Electrical Wiring Diagram viewer shows the part numbers for for connector housings for most of the wire harness connections. Now that I think of it, I have never clicked on any of the yellow airbag/seatbelt-tensioner connectors to see if those are also listed, so I don't know offhand whether they are, but it could be worth a check.

-Chap

5. kromerok

kromerok Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Recovered theft someone cut the yellow wires and removed the seatbelt with it. Do you have a link for the viewer?

6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Since you posted the illustration from the Repair Manual, I’ll assume you’ve also reviewed its warnings about working on SRS parts (under Vehicle Interior: Supplemental Restraint Systems: Airbag System: Precaution).

The Electrical Wiring Diagram is available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com. For the Front Seat Outer Belt Assembly LH (M7) and Front Seat Outer Belt Assembly RH (M49), it says the connector housing has part number 90980-12452, and the repair wires (pigtails with terminals) have part numbers 82988-12050 or 82988-12060.

Toyota’s parts catalog says 90980-12452 was replaced by 82988-12060, which makes me wonder if perhaps they sell the housing with the terminals and repair wires already installed, since it uses right-angle terminals. It may be worth the markup to go to a dealer parts counter, to see if they have better information.

To attach the repair wires to the vehicle harness, the EWD calls for blue splice sleeves, part number 82999-12020; note that these are insulated parallel splices, not the butt splices often found in generic terminal kits.

You may also find the older Wire Harness Repair Manual (PDF) from 2007 helpful.

RCO, kromerok and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. kromerok

kromerok Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks Elektroingenieur, I did read the precautions thanks for the mention tho. I will stop by parts department and ask in morning. Two questions where in Cali are you and you seem quite versed in all things prius is all this from working on your own car(s)?

RCO and Elektroingenieur like this.
  8. kromerok

kromerok Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    According to my local dealership after I placed the order for the connector they were told they discontinued them. Maybe ill check some pick a part spots now.

9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some dealers appear to have them. I have ordered online from here before.

Toyota Parts - metrotoyotapartsnow.com

kromerok and RCO like this.
  10. kromerok

kromerok Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Oh wow, thanks ill give them a try

11. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That’s disappointing. If the dealer @Prodigyplace kindly mentioned above can’t supply one—and you can wait a few days and don’t mind paying at least $20 for shipping, or need enough other parts that it’s worthwhile—you might try one of the Japanese export firms. IMPEX JAPAN, about whom I’ve written previously, for example, shows a price and weight for 82988-12060 in their database. I think they only add the weight when they’ve actually received a part in their warehouse for a customer and weighed it for shipping. The part might still be discontinued now, though.

Please do let us know how it works out. If the only alternative is to buy a complete floor wire harness (82161-47Z30), it’s probably worth a complaint to Toyota. Spare parts should be reasonably available, especially for a two-year-old model that’s still in production.

kromerok, RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. kromerok

kromerok Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Located the only one in the country that was in stock at Lowes Toyota in Georgia. Should be receiving it tomorrow the car is just about done getting painted and then ill do the connector and alls well

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.