1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat Cover Review

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fshagan, Feb 26, 2006.

1. riva

riva New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Regarding side airbags, forget my last post. I just found the airbag cloth tag on the upper part of the seat. I was looking for some kind of plastic emblem on the lower part of the plastic. Boy, there's so much I need to learn about this vehicle.

2. riva

riva New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Update: Just wanted to let everyone know that I ordered and recieved my Exact Seat Covers several days ago for $59.00. plus $9.72 for shipping. They came very quickly (in two days) by fed-x.

Installation: I was able to get the front seat upper seat & center console covers on fairly easily. The front bottom seat covers were a little tricky, but with a little time exploring underneath and around the seat, I finally figured out what needed to be done in order to fasten all the seat cover straps underneath and around the cushion.

As for the second row, the upper cushions covers were also pretty easy to install. However, with the bottom seat bench cushion, I simply fitted and tucked the seat cover in and around the edges. If need be, I can spend a little more time figuring out how to remove that bottom seat cushion, so I fasten all the straps underneath and around as shown in the instructions. In the meantime, just tucking it in around the edges and pushing the straps underneath the cushion... seems be holding well.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this purchase. The quality of the fabric seems very durable, and the fit is great. Thanks again to everyone here for all your help.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Congrats, Riva. Glad they're working for you.

OK, now a question for you, the answer to which still is unclear to me after responses from others in this thread: How do you get the bottom rear flap on the front seat back cover secured?

Thanks,
    Jim

4. riva

riva New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Aug 23 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]308279[/snapback]</div>
    Okay, I'll admit I kind of winged it there. For me, the most logical thing to do was to stick the velcro at the bottom edge of the exact seat cover directly onto the OEM seat fabric underneath the seat. So after reconnecting the original seat flap back to the metal wire, I simply pulled the Exact seat cover flap down as far as it could go and then pushed the flap underneath and pressed the velcro right up against the seat fabric. The velcro is pretty sticky and holds onto the OEM fabric pretty securely, so and I don't anticipate it coming loose. Also, with the cover being pretty snug, I think it should stay put... even when putting things into the pockets. Hope this helps.

5. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(riva @ Aug 23 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]308400[/snapback]</div>

Sounds like exactly what I did!

6. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OK, you folks about have me convinced they sewed the wrong piece of Velcro on mine. Riva, Catskillguy, and earlier, fshagan, all seem to be describing the same thing. But as I described earlier, that flap on mine has a strip of "loop" Velcro and not the "hook" piece. So it will not stick to the OEM fabric under the seat unless I sew it, glue it, or whatever!

I still haven't called the company in the now almost completed-faded hope that one of you might have a miracle for me. And I'm not sure I want to. Assuming they did indeed sew the wrong thing on, I'm not thrilled about the idea of taking them off and shipping them back. I may just improvise by utilizing my fiancee's sewing talents.

Anyway, thanks to all of for your patience with and responses to my persistent questioning!

Jim

7. dancekat59

dancekat59 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Aug 23 2006, 08:09 PM) [snapback]308578[/snapback]</div>
    Rats! I have the same problem and had thought that it may have been made incorrectly. I haven't tried it yet, but I thought about putting 2 sticky back velcro hook strips back to back so it can attach to the loop strip on the back flap of the seat cover then the other hook side can attach to the OEM seat cover. Do ya think that might work?

8. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dancekat59, I'm trying to picture what you're describing, but I'm not quite there. (Sorry - long day at work!) Maybe it's close to this: One of the options that would utilize my lady's sewing talents is to add a strip of hook Velcro to the end of the seat back flap next to or in place of the existing loop strip. The flap is long enough to reach beneath the seat and, as Riva suggested, it should stick to the OEM fabric beneath the seat if it has the right Velcro piece.

As I've pondered it further, I've just about made up my mind not to call the company. Either this workaround or the one I described earlier (having her sew elastric straps with hooks to secure the flap in a manner similar to the OEMS strap) should be pretty simple and quick.

I reiterate what I and others have said: I still think these covers are a good value. BUT, a word of caution for future purchasers: Check the bottom flaps of the front seat back covers before installing. From the experience of several here, and from the looks of the factory instructions, one should have hook Velcro and the other loop. I know Wayne in Seattle already posted the instructions, but I have attached page two with this feature circled in red to show it clearly. If I had paid closer attention to that, I might have caught it before installing them and probably would have returned them for an exchange.

Jim

9. riva

riva New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Aug 24 2006, 08:05 PM) [snapback]309071[/snapback]</div>
    I have a sewing machine, but even the idea of hand sewing a new strip of velcro (hook side) along the back flap edge sounds like an easier solution to sending the whole set back and waiting for a new set. Not to mention, the new set may not have the hook side on the back flap either.... Sounds like the luck of the draw. Either way, I think this seat cover set is a very good deal. As for the sticky back velcro, keep in mind it might have a tendency to melt in the heat of the car. So you may want to needle and thead it.

You know I wonder if the price differences (i.e. $39 vs $59) may have an effect on details like this. Did anyone else notice that the same velour Exact seat covers sold through the Ebay sell for as little as $39 and as much as $59? I called their customer service and one person told me she thought they were all the same. However, I purchased mine at the higher price ($59) and also enclosed a note about how picky I was.... As though I have the right to be picky for all of $59. :) I'm still amazed at how inexpensive these sear covers are!

10. dancekat59

dancekat59 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    JimboK, I was trying to find a lazy solution that didn't require removing the seat cover and any sewing. Of course, the best solution, short of shipping it back to the factory, is to replace the velcro loop strip with a velcro hook strip on the back flap.

Let's see if I can better explain what I'm thinking of doing...
    - Get 2 strips of velcro with the sticky adhesive backsides, both hook, not one hook, one loop
    http://www.velcro.com/consumer/products_sb.htm
    - press the 2 strips together, adhesive back to back, so you have one strip with velcro hooks on both sides
    - attach this strip to the velcro loop strip of the seat cover back flap.
    - you now have a velcro hook strip on the back flap to attach to the OEM seat cover under the seat. (the OEM seat cover back flap is re-attached w/ the elastic/hooks under the seat.

11. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dancekat59 @ Aug 26 2006, 01:09 AM) [snapback]309717[/snapback]</div>
    After overcoming my latest bout of "delayed intelligence," you're making sense to me now. I like that idea! It's certainly worth trying. (You caught my attention with "lazy solution"!) In fact, I think I'll drop by Lowes or Home Depot later today and see if they have the adhesive-backed Velcro. I'll keep everyone posted on how it works, or if you get to it first, please do the same.

Jim

12. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    An update:

Works like a charm! So far, anyway. I considered Riva's comment about the heat potentially affecting the adhesive adversely. So I was going to wait 24 hours as prescribed by the Velcro's instructions to allow the adhesive maximum time to set up. But then the instructions assume you're attaching 1 piece of adhesive to something without additional adhesive. During the "assembly" process I got the two pieces stuck at the wrong angle initially, and darn near couldn't pull them apart again. So I figured if anything pulls apart in the car, it would be the Velcro itself, and I decided to install them without waiting.

So dancekat59: Thank you, thank you, thank you! I owe you a beer.

Jim

13. dancekat59

dancekat59 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Jimbok! Thanks for trying it out for me! I'm glad to hear that it seems to work. I thought it might be a bit tricky attaching the 2 sticky back strips together and getting them aligned. ;) I've been too busy lately to try it myself. Maybe I get a chance over the long Labor Day weekend.

14. envyenvy

envyenvy New Member

Can anyone tell me if the seat covers for seats with airbags just have holes cut out of the side of them?

Also, I'd like to see pictures of ppl's seat covers for seats with airbags, but for some reason most to all of the pictures on this thread won't load for me....am i doing something wrong?

Thank you! I often get into my Prius after working out, and I don't want the seats to get dirty/smelly...but I'm thinking of buying covers from walmart or target and just modifying them for the airbags...I'll let you all know how it goes!

15. dancekat59

dancekat59 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(envyenvy @ Sep 4 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]314167[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, there are cut out holes for the side airbags but there's also a loose flap attached on one side that you tuck inside to cover the holes.

I used to be able to see the pics, but can't see them now, too. I don't know why. ???

16. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dancekat59 @ Sep 4 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]314248[/snapback]</div>
    The recent hacking into this site apparently resulted in the loss of message attachments. Maybe fshagan can repost them if he sees this or if someone PMs him to ask.

Jim

17. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I'm afraid I don't have the pics any more. They were lost in my computer crash. Perhaps I can re-take them this coming weekend (but time has been my nemesis lately, so no promises!)

18. jmilhome

jmilhome New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Sep 6 2006, 12:17 AM) [snapback]315017[/snapback]</div>
    Hey fshagan,

I would pay to see those pics again.

I ordered the covers from "Seat Cover Factory" for a Prius 06, I was really impressed with their quality but the instructions are just pathetic. I am really struggling to get this to work. some of the problems I realize are the same as many of you... like, what to do with that hanging back flap?

Please see the email I sent them and advise:

Regarding the BACK ROW:
    1 – I had no problem with the 2 pieces that compose the back seat
    2 – I am having problems with the bottom seat. The cover seems to fit nicely but I don’t understand how do I keep it in place. How am I supposed to pass the straps under the seat? The bottom cushion does not come off, is my hand supposed to go underneath the cushion? That is simply impossible…
    3 – Included were two pieces that I do not understand where they fit. Please see attached “pic1â€. Are those supposed to fit on the sides of the back seat (pic4 and pic5)? Something should cover those sides but I think there is something wrong with those two pieces as they seem completely odd shaped.

Regarding the FRONT SEATS:
    4 - I was able to install the bottom seat without a problem and fix it with the straps. In order to do that I had to detach the hooks of the original cover.
    5 – I am having problems with the back seat (see pic3) as I don’t know what to do with the back flap (B). That Velcro doesn’t stick to anything (it doesn’t have hooks). What I am supposed to do with the original cover (A) and how do I prevent that back flap from hanging loose?
    6 – I thought that included in the package there should be a cover for the center console. I didn’t get one.

[attachmentid=5482][attachmentid=5483][attachmentid=5484][attachmentid=5485]

Attached Files:

19. dancekat59

dancekat59 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SUSTAINABILITY @ Oct 26 2006, 06:10 PM) [snapback]338929[/snapback]</div>
    The bottom seat does come off completely. It snaps/pops in and out. Keep trying starting at the corners.

I thought this was tricky, too. The smaller piece "D" covers the cloth area under the back seat vent (passenger side). Piece "C" covers the other side. With both of these pieces, the plastic tabs fit between the seat and the body of the car and "hooks" in under the molding. You kind of have the idea in Pic 4 but I think you have it turned around. In the last pic for piece "C", you have it upside down as the notch section goes around the seat back lock loop.

First, re-attach the orginal back flap under the seat then follow my suggestion in Post #50 above.

Yes! You should have gotten a center console lid cover with the set!

Good Luck!!!

20. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SUSTAINABILITY @ Oct 26 2006, 07:10 PM) [snapback]338929[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with dancekat59: Check out our previous posts. Your problem is the exact one I had, and the solution in post 50 solution did the trick. The OEM cover will clip back beneath the seat, and by using the Velcro workaround described in that post, you should be able to get the cover to stick. It's still working fine for me.

I agree that a cover for the center console should have been included, unless they've changed the package so that it's not included anymore.