1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat head rests - awkward?!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by prinut, Jan 19, 2015.

1. prinut

prinut Pri Nut

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had some small-medium sized adults in the rear seats last weekend and they complained about their uncomfortable head position. The issue seem to be the head rest is a bit too forward. When sitting, the back of the head is touching the head rest, they feel like they cannot relax and is forced to look forward. I looked at the headrest position, sat in the rear seat and I do share their opinion.

Since the headrest is sooo tall, even if you have it adjusted to the lowest level, one cannot rest their head backwards to relax when it is a long drive. In my 99 4Runner, the headrests were quite low so when it is at it's lowest point, the head rest supports the back of the neck, not the back of the head, thus making it more comfortable for all. Does anyone encounter this same issue?

The same could be said for the front seats.
    I looked at the shafts to see if it could be bent back about 1"-1 1/4" but that would be quite difficult to get them both to do that. Any suggestions anyone? Other than don't have any back seat riders!! LOL!!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did i read that someone turned them around? i know some just take them out altogether. better vision is a bonus.

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    So on your 4Runner, if you got hit from behind, the same back seat passengers' heads would in effect snap back, the neck wouldn't and the neck would be damaged with all those nerves?

Isn't the idea of a HEADrest to catch the head from snapping back with nothing behind it thus reducing the neck damage?

4. prinut

prinut Pri Nut

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Actually, no to 1st question.

Answer to 2nd question.
    I understand your comment regarding the head snapping back.
    I went outside, sat in the truck and acted out the forward and backward motion as if I was rear ended.
    My neck did not go back to the point where I felt it would 'snap'.
    The headrest supported my neck and still supports the area where my top neck vertebrae meets the base of the skull.

In the Prius, if the headrest was a wee bit more back, then it would be more comfortable...OR....if the seatback could recline just a little, then it would not be so bad. In the front seats, the seatback can recline to take reduce the upright position.

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I want the skull supported because I've read it weighs hundreds of pounds of force in a crash. More than neck muscles and joints can support. Been rear ended...twice. Weird feeling hearing the car behind you sliding towards your stopped car at 50+ MPH speed and there is nothing you can do. Once ice, once inexperience.

You aren't the only one complaining of head rest angle. The v forums get that about the front seats.

The v has a rear seat that reclines.

Go to the junk yard and see if the older ones or ones from a different model fit and have a different angle. Of course why would Toyota have made the change except for safety reasons.