1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat Height -- Obvious flaw in otherwise great car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nyprius, Jan 22, 2008.

1. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Yes, that is true and why I can't recommend doing this. But I am willing to risk it for myself in return for better visibility. That's also the reason you would have a hard time finding a third party to make a modification to the seat structure. There is too much liability.

I considered buying a Toyota Matrix instead of the Prius because it has more headroom. But I like the HSD powertrain and the additional mpg. With the original seat I had marginal headroom, with the seat lowered I have reasonable headroom and better upward visibility.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yeah!!:D

3. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't recall anyone, including me the person who started this post, saying the Prius should come with Recaro quality seats. The only complaint I have is that the US Prius doesn't come with driver's seat height adjustment, as it does in Japan, Europe and I think Australia.

I'm sure Recaro seats are much more comfortable. But I would be happy with my existing seats if they were one inch lower. Spending several thousand dollars to just lower the driver's seat one inch seems excessive. Also, even though the Recaro seats are more comfortable, they wouldn't match the interior of the car as well as the OEM seats.

Since you say you're happy with your standard height adjustable seat, I assume you're not in the US. I would be happy with a standard height adjustable seat too. Toyota should have installed them in the US, the way they did everywhere else in the world. The base model Yaris and the Prius, even the high end Prius, are the only US Toyota cars without seat height adjustment. Clearly this was a mistake.

4. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If I was 5'6", I'd be happy with the Prius seat height too. Everywhere else in the world, Toyota tried to accommodate drivers of varying height. For example, if you're over 6' tall and own a Prius anywhere other than the US and Canada, you simply lower the driver's seat and you're good to go.

I don't think you mean this, but it sounds like you're saying tall Americans should not buy a Prius. They should instead buy different cars. As an alternative, perhaps the US Prius could be made to accommodate tall (and short) people by adding height adjustment.

Seats are modified frequently for handicapped people. If it's done well, the seat structure remains as strong or stronger. My seats were moved back three inches by professional retrofitters. The structure is easily as strong as before.

The likelihood of a well done seat modification being relevant in an accident is extremely small. However, the likelihood that a poorly designed seat will be uncomfortable all the time is one hundred percent. I would gladly trade a microscopic accident risk for vastly improved comfort all the time.

Also, failure to provide seat height adjustment increases accident risk. My vision is obstructed out of the front and rear windshields due to the sloping down front and rear roof and me being too high in the car. Adding height adjustment would lower accident risk for tall and short people.

5. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Dogfriend! One thing becomes immediately clear from your post -- you are WAY better with tools and fixing things than I am!

If I can't find anyone to lower the seat, I may get the courage to try the work you did. Your instructions in the other post will be very helpful.

BTW, Solar_Powered added height adjustment to his Prius via the means you discussed. But this is too complicated for me to do.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-m...i-ve-got-height-adjustable-driver-s-seat.html

I would definitely want to lower the front by an equal amount. My preference would be to have the seat lean more forward than its current max forward position. Therefore any increased backward angle wouldn't work for me.

As someone else on this post suggested, it would be great if someone made a mod that enabled height adjustment. I would gladly pay several hundred dollars for the mod, or even for someone to do the work to lower my seat.

6. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The lack of seat height adjustment is really a glaring oversight in an otherwise impeccibly engineered car. It was obviously a marketing decision not to offer it in North America, because the hardware was already designed and already exists for other markets.

Because I have a long torso (my GF says I'm a freak of nature) when we shop for a new vehicle, the first test is to see if I can fit in the car with adequate headroom. We can eliminate most cars just on the headroom issue. On the first pass, I rejected the Prius because it did not seem to have enough headroom for me. A few months later, I tried a used Prius and it seemed to have more headroom than I remembered. Maybe the seat had broken down slightly (or the previous owner modified the seat ;) ). I didn't buy the used Prius because the asking price was within 1k of what I ended up buying the new one for.

What I have found is that the German cars (BMW, Mercedes, VW) and especially the Scandinavian cars (Volvo, Saab) tend to have much better headroom than other makes. I think that this is because Scandinavian people tend to have long torsos (I am a mixed breed with 1/4 Norwegian blood). Japanese brands are hit and miss. Fords have the best headroom among American brands, Chrysler has the worst.

When my GF was buying a car, we came close to buying a Volvo because I had good headroom even with the sunroof (sunroofs usually lower headroom by at least an inch). But after reading horror stories online about Volvo electrical issues, we ended up with a Toyota Avalon sans sunroof. The other vehicle in the fleet is a gas sucking but very reliable Ford Explorer that has the best headroom of all three.

You should be happy that I'm willing to sacrifice headroom for lower CO2 emissions. :D

7. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius which came from the factory with height adjustable drivers seat had a retail price of $37,400AU at the time of sale and the current price for the base model Prius in Australia is still $37,400AU including 10% tax but not stamp duty and delivery costs or $33,783US, you would have been happy to pay that much for your Prius with height adjustable seat and no GPS etc? Remember we are talking base model. If you also wanted extras like GPS, Blue tooth, 6 stack CD player etc you would pay $46,000AU (Inc 10% tax) or 41,552US. I believe Australian prices are less than many other places around the world.

Do these numbers make a Recaro conversion look cheaper than paying what the rest of the world pay for a Prius with a height adjustable seat?

8. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would argue that they should have picked a different feature to delete - for example, I would gladly trade heated mirrors for a height adjustable seat.

I'm sorry that you had to pay more for an equivalent car, but I don't think the height adjustable seat accounts for the difference in price.

9. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It just seems to me that if the seat was perfect another bug would rise up to take its place and the loudest complaints come from the country with the cheapest Prius'.

Oh I paid $25,000AU for mine but it was 3 years, 61,000km old. Still about the price of a new base model in USA.

10. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well, I can't speak for anyone else in the country with the cheapest Prius, but my only complaint about how the car is equipped is the lack of an adjustable seat.

Also, as noted by others, Toyota offers less expensive cars (Matrix, Corolla, even the Yaris sedan which goes for almost $10k less) that are equipped with an adjustable height seat. So it seems to be a glaring oversight for those who need that feature.

11. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  12. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your analysis is irrelevant, unless you're making the case that the base model Prius is roughly $9,000 more in Australia because it has seat height adjustment, which obviously is not the case. Prius's are priced differently around the world for many reasons, not the least of which is import duties.

The issue to focus on is the incremental cost of manual driver's seat height adjustment. Given Toyota's economies of scale and the fact that the equipment is already made, the incremental cost of adding manual height adjustment to the Prius is probably less than $100, and maybe less than $50 (Toyota's cost). So the key question is would US Prius owners pay $200 more for height adjustment. I would. I bet many others would too. Regardless, it should at least have been made an option.

In the US, the base model Corolla cost $15,000 and comes with seat height adjustment. The base model Prius costs $21,000 and does not come with height adjustment. That's a mistake. Plain and simple.

13. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe if they left out the HSD they would have included the adjustable seat and it would have even been cheaper. After all those cars you list didn't have HSD. Maybe they could have left the MFD out? Maybe the ABS would have been a delete option for the inclusion of an adjustable seat?

MY belief is; - Toyota left out an adjustable drivers seat to keep the cost of the Prius down and to lower the mass of the vehicle. Does the US also only get a passenger side wiper that moves in a simple arch? Mine wipes out into the corner. Do you get Michelin tyres standard? I think the rest of the world does. Disc brakes on the rear? The rest of the world does. Toyota knew they had to shave the price of Prius for the US market to get sales. That is just what they did. If the Prius had an adjustable seat height (which isn't all that great as it only adjusts the back of the cushion by about an inch) then the complaint would be standard wipers or cheap tyres or drum brakes or high cost.

14. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  15. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Australia the base model Corolla 1.8 litre manual costs $20,990AU while base Prius is nearly double that at $37,400AU. Toyota Australia - Passenger Vehicles
    You only pay 33% more while here it is 78% more, you are lucky!

16. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think your belief is reasonable. But some of us believe that Toyota USA made a mistake by leaving it out. That's the point of this thread.

17. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Keep it simple. Should the US Prius have manual seat height adjustment, yes or no? If you read the other posts on this thread, nearly everyone says yes. There's also another active threat titled: "If I could change one thing about the Prius it would be...". There are 80 posts on it. Nearly half of them relate to seats. Most of these want height adjustment.

You said you thought Toyota left height adjustment off to keep cost and weight down. Why wasn't weight a factor in other countries. Plus the additional weight is probably less than ten pounds (ie: irrelevant). Re cost, the Prius is a mid range car. All Toyotas in this range have height adjustment. Possibly you work for Toyota and don't want to acknowledge a mistake made by US Toyota, though I'm not sure why you'd care since you're from Australia.

18. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't care. Australians are known world wide for not caring.

I am just pointing out that in the US you pay much less for the Prius than anywhere else in the first world outside Japan and still you aren't happy. If the seat had rear height adjustment as it has in most other markets you would then complain there is no front height adjustment, then no lumbar support then no heating in the seat then drum brakes etc. Toyota didn't fit a height adjustable seat, fit another seat or get over it. Basically I'm saying stop whining, it could have been worse.

I work for the South Australian government not Toyota, I doubt my style on this thread would be doing anything positive for Toyota sales. I also can't imagine a Toyota rep recomending an after market seat.

Maybe BT Tech can make a modified seat frame on an exchange basis? Sounds like a sure fire hit.

19. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The price Americans pay for the Prius makes sense given other car prices here. The price paid for Prius's in other countries is irrelevant. Apparently you're annoyed that you pay more in Australia. But it's a non-issue here. So I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up.

The issue is whether or not the US Prius should have seat height adjustment. If I pay nearly $30,000 for a car I use nearly every day, I think it should be comfortable and safe to drive. Your position is that I should be quiet and not say anything about the fact that the Prius has seat adjustment everywhere but in the US and Canada, or as you say I should just stop whining. That's your opinion.

But it all goes back to the original question, should the US Prius have seat height adjustment. And you've added another dimension, are Americans whiners for asking for it. Since every US Toyota car has seat height adjustment except the cheapest (base model Yaris), it seems clear that it should have it. I'll be surprised if Toyota makes this mistake again.

Regarding whether or not it's appropriate for us to complain (I think complain is a more accurate word than whine), the answer is, of course. Toyota wants to make its customers happy. Usually they do a great job at it. I spoke with Toyota customer service. They told me customer feedback plays a large role in determining what features will be on new cars. They also told me they read PC and other forums. This thread and others like it may have some influence on getting height adjustment next year.

20. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A