1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat Lock Starts Fight on Flight!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Onager, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Onager

Onager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A passenger on a UAL flight used a . . .

"$22 device, known as the Knee Defender, that locks onto the tray table on the back of the seat, making it impossible for the person in front to recline. The device is banned on United Airlines flights, but the Federal Aviation Administration leaves it up to individual airlines to set rules for the device.

According to law enforcement officials, the man used the device to stop the woman in front of him from reclining while he was using his laptop. When a flight attendant asked him to remove the device, he refused. The woman directly in front of him then allegedly stood up and threw a cup of water at him."

United Flight Diverted After Passenger Uses Banned Seat Recline Jammer, Starts Scuffle – Consumerist

Dang, I think I was a victim of this recently! I just thought the seat was broken. This is a novel issue but then we already have enough to worry about on a flight don't we? What would you do?

One thought; If she hadn't tossed the water on him I think the airline should have moved her, if there were room, even if it had to be 1st class since the guy refused to use his key and remove the lock. UAL and the TSA could deal with the guy once they arrived at their destination without pissing off all the other passengers.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think they should be illegal. you pay your money, get on the flight, expect the seat to recline and then no go because the person behind you doesn't want it? the airlines have to do a better job of letting people know what they can and cannot expect.

3. Onager

Onager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The opposite could be said about the person that buys a ticket expecting a certain amount of legroom in front of him. Tricky since blood clots impact this issue . Surprising that this occurred in economy plus on UAL. I'm fairly tall and I have several inches left in front of me. Even with the seat inclined in front of me. Of course these inches cost me an extra $85. My major complaint is the width.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got competing emotions here.....but I have to come down on the side of the Airline on this.
    Schedule disrupted and all of the other passengers inconvenienced because two passengers didn't want to play nice.

I would fine them both ALL of the $25,000.00 civil fine and try to bill them for the extra fuel and expense for the extra take-off and landing.

Diemaster likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why would you expect more legroom than the airlines have been providing for decades? it's not like they just invented the tilt back seat. i'm not saying they have to like it, but it is what it is. or was.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't abide abusing another passenger, but if my seat won't go back, i expect compensation, unless i'm told it's a possibility before i buy my ticket.

Epiphany2000 likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like some compensation for the time I was hit very hard on the head by the passenger in front slamming his seat all the way back, without warning, while I was reaching for something in the bag at my feet. He didn't apologize, I put up enough fuss that he moved elsewhere for a couple hours.

I'd also like some compensation for the many hours I've been unable to reach my pills, spare water and food, and exchange reading material because when the seat in front is fully reclined, it becomes physically impossible for me to reach my under-seat carry on bag. (Well, it can be reached if I lean way over into the adjacent seat, if and only if that seat is unoccupied. Uncommon these days.) Most of those recliners won't even raise their seat when they get up to move around.

The space you are expecting is my space too.

I'm able to handle most flights without reclining my seat at all. For the rest, I can handle going just half way when the person behind doesn't have a meal or laptop occupying that space.

Onager likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a personal preference, but the airlines don't seem to understand your point of view.

Onager likes this.
  9. Onager

Onager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't say more! Did I? Flying has become such a pain in the nice person that now I almost look forward to fast trains, almost.

10. Onager

Onager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Herein lies the problem and why the TSA dismissed the fracas as a customer service problem. I'm now awaiting the first major airline to start advertising additional leg space as an incentive to draw business.

11. Onager

Onager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what makes this tricky.

Passenger in back: Mine!

Passenger in front:No mine!

Airline: Nope it's mine!

12. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I certainly would want my seat to recline. You are crammed in like sardines the way it is.

13. Onager

Onager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, but like fuzzy said . . .

"when the seat in front is fully reclined, it becomes physically impossible for me to reach my under-seat carry on bag"

or if you are partially disabled or an oldie like me it's darn near impossible to get out of a non-reclined seat if the seat in front of you is fully inclined. This could be a safety issue.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  14. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I agree with you on that aspect as well because I have a little (lot) of age on me as well. I have travelled overseas 7 times and numerous times in the U.S. I have pretty much decided where my car won't take me I'm not going. Probably age, but it is too much of a hassle all the way round for me anymore.

15. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I like flying Southwest because I can be strategic in seat selection. The seats in front of an exit row don't recline.

SFO and pilotgrrl like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pointless to this discussion, but i try to respect the people behind me, flying is a major hassle that doesn't need human aggravation added to the equation. i'm not disagreeing with fuzzy or the o/p, but this is better resolved by the airline than the passengers. diverting the flight may have been unnecessary.

17. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And of all the airlines, United - ha! Their ratings IIRC are near the low end in consumer satisfaction.

DBCassidy

18. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    In school we learned if too many rats are put into a cage they start fighting. Now I know why we were taught the basics of animal behavior. It is the metric used by airlines. If you are not having passengers fight, then not enough seats have been stuffed on the plane.

(P.S. Your point about the airlines deciding is spot on.)

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are late, such advertising has happened on and off for decades.

Unfortunately, the added leg space has always been temporary. It gets silently removed after the next airline merger or aircraft overhaul.

20. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, on the one hand, I simply don't get why people need to recline on a 3-4 hour daytime flight. You wouldn't be sleeping if you were in the office. I only recline if it's a night flight, and even then, I tell the person behind me that I'm going to, so I don't take them by surprise or break their laptop.

I don't like it when people recline into me, but I accept that if I'm going to fly economy, that's what's going to happen. It's a particular problem on flights in Asia, where people will recline as far as they can as soon as they're allowed to (or earlier).

But I've recently flown China Eastern medium-haul (10 hours) a few times. Their new A330s have a kind of economy-class seat that I haven't seen before. When you recline, instead of the seat back going backwards, the seat base slides forward. So the person who wants to recline can make the choice between legroom and reclineyness (I claim copyright on this word), rather than the person who wants to recline knowing that they can recline all they want and it's only a problem for the person behind them. There's a shell around the seat too, so the person reclining in front of you doesn't affect the angle your TV screen is sitting at. I wish all airlines had this.