1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat Lock Starts Fight on Flight!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Onager, Aug 26, 2014.

1. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How you twist comments made about "one" interaction between two passengers that disrupted a flight and the lives of all on board into something completely different is just one of many reasons no one likes you here. As an Airline mechanic I know every part those seats are made from and how they are pitched...exactly. As a person that's been around a lot longer than you, I know people pretty good too. I repeat, those two passengers were wrong and my previous statement stands. You need to find another sandbox to play in Onager, you are way out of your league here.

hkmb likes this.
  2. Onager

Onager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry Fro but your post described the space between the seat back in front of you and the ability to recline as a "perceived entitlement." The article and many posts here have clearly shown that people do feel entitled to them and some will seek compensation if this benefit is denied. This is not a perception or illusion to them and to simply dismiss it as such was rude in my eyes.

You also stated that seats don't recline very far and that those reclined seats don't inhibit or interfere with the movement or comfort of the passenger behind. Posts here have described injuries, slight but still injuries, they have suffered and difficulties they have endured when the passenger in front has reclined his/her seats. Are you willfully ignoring them? Your summary dismissal of the difficulties and feelings of many was, again, rude.

Perhaps another sandbox is called for but for whom?

3. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Lately it seems we're not really "entitled" to anything..... not reclining seats on airplanes, or freedom of speech, or using phones to film events as they happen (cops will arrest you).

Fortunately we have laws and courts and regulatory agencies. The law says freedom of speech shall not be infringed, the 1st Circuit Court of the U.S. has stated citizens have a right to film government officials, and the FAA says devices that block exit from seats are illegal (so no knee defenders allowed).

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There you go again trying to turn my words into something they are not. Perceived entitlement was in reference to the male passengers insistence on use of equipment forbidden by this carrier, then his refusal to remove it (for what ever reason) when told to do so by the flight crew. Ego and rude behavior played into the whole situation enough to get both of them kicked of the aircraft. As to your feeble attempt to rally the troops by portraying me as rude and dismissive to the comfort and safety of my passengers, nothing could be further from the truth and I have the gray hairs to prove it. So you go find someone your own age to practice your rhetoric on...and have a nice day. ;)

5. Onager

Onager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh?

Fro, you initially faulted both passengers equally. Then summarized the actions of both parties in a single sentence. The sentence immediately following stated that the "whole thing" was due to "perceived entitlement, ego and rude behavior" now your telling us "perceived entitlement" only applies to the male passenger? How would one know?

Nevertheless, thank you for this clarification and perhaps "rude" was a bit strong although I may reconsider after your last post. However, I did not say you were rude and dismissive of the comfort and safety of "your" passengers. But I will affirmatively state, since I've reconsidered my terminology, that much like your employers, you are dismissive and indifferent to the complaints and concerns of many. Did you not read the numerous posts where many here felt entitled to a certain amount of space/comfort? The last sentence in your post summarily dismissed those.

Now I'm done and even though, as the OP of this thread, I was in the sandbox first I'll yield it to your ego and move on. Enjoy!

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There TH goes again, scrambling and mixing important details on various subjects. He has done this repeatedly, sometimes creating Chimeras to suit his purposes.

'Freedom of speech' and 'infringed' appear in different amendments, on different topics.

The Knee Defenders are banned by airlines, not the FAA:

"The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration says it hasn't banned the device as it doesn't have an impact on passenger safety.

But most major U.S. airlines, including United, do prohibit its use."

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another article on this subject, with a reclining seat solution that is already available and installed on some aircraft: Travel Unpacked: Reclining seats controversy

"In my previous “Reclining seats on flights” post I suggested a seat design that pivoted in such a way that the reclining seat did not invade the space of the passenger behind. When I travelled on a Singapore Airlines Airbus A380 (the double-deck plane) I discovered that such seats do exist. When the seat in front was reclined the back hardly moved. Instead, as I discovered when I reclined, the base of the seat moves forward. You still get the same angle of recline but you lose a bit of legroom; your legroom not someone else’s."

This solution would also give everyone a reclining seat, including those now locked out by exit rows or bulkheads behind.

8. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    There you go accusing me (again) of having multiple IDs on priuschat. I only have this one user login, however I'm starting to wonder if Fuzzy and Chuck are the same guy (constantly attacking me with insults). You are becoming worse than I ever was, even in my high school/juvenile days. Why don't you just stop?

9. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I mentioned this earlier: China Eastern has them on their newer A330s. It makes an enormous difference.

10. Onager

Onager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the saddle/bicycle seat that's all the rage now . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where did I ever(*) accuse you of multiple Priuschat IDs? Pointers to the specific posts, or it didn't happen.

The reference above to Chimeras is most certainly not such an example.

I notice that you declined to respond to the specific errors I pointed out in your post. If you are annoyed about getting called out for your many errors, tough. Why don't you just stop making those errors?

(*) I have accused certain IDs of being reincarnations of ProximalSuns, and a moderator verified one such case. If I accidentally accused you of being one of his reincarnations, point to it and I'll apologize and go fix it.

#71 fuzzy1, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Checking several planes over the past couple days, I did find that you are partly right, some of those seats do not recline very far at all. On a Dash-8 and an A319, the seats reclined only about 3 inches.

But both of those were short hauls, under 2 hours. While unloading from an A340 after a 10 hour flight this afternoon, I measured the seat recline as nearly six inches. And that amount is more consistent with the problematic reclines I remember from similarly long hauls on other aircraft.

Could it be that the differences in perception are being driven in part by substantial differences in equipment? And of course, the differences will be tied to particular models of seats, not necessarily to aircraft.

13. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took a couple of flights with Ryanair in the past couple of weeks, their seats do not recline .... Problem solved

WilDavis likes this.
  14. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …ah but @bisco , old chap, we're now living in The Age of Entitlement! …do keep up, there's a good chap! ;)

RCO and bisco like this.
  15. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's an easy solution for the disabled. The exit rows have plenty of extra room. </sarcasm>

16. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He said that 3 years ago. …do keep up, there's a good chap! ;)

RCO and WilDavis like this.
  17. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :oops:

(…crawls back under rock muttering something about "…damned clock-watchers!")

RCO, Prodigyplace and bisco like this.
  18. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I, for one, am delighted that this thread has been revived. I travel a fair bit for work, but because it's my company, it's my money, so I generally fly economy.

I've been on Ryanair a couple of times, but only on the Liverpool-Dublin route. Not reclining at all is great for short flights: I was very pleased.

In the last couple of weeks, I've taken a few flights on Air China. Their A330-200s have normal reclining systems, but the A330-300s have seats that recline by sliding your seat cushion forward. So when you want to recline, you lose legroom, rather than impinging on that of the person behind you: you decide whether recline angle or legroom is more important to you. I liked this. China Eastern's A330Es (I think it's the A330-200E) do the same. It's a very good thing.

In all respects other than reclining, Air China wasn't up to much: it's not a patch on China Eastern or China Southern as far as service is concerned.

I avoid Qantas economy medium-to-long haul like the plague. Since they refitted their A330s, the economy seats recline way too far. If the person in front of you reclines, you can't see the seat-back screen at all, and you can't use a computer or tablet or even read a book: the top of the head of the person in front of you is within six inches of your face. So while Qantas offers non-stop flights from Sydney to both Beijing and Shanghai, I'd rather fly on a Chinese airline.

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hate when dandruff is falling on my tablet.

RCO and WilDavis like this.
  20. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's not a problem on Qantas. The dandruff falls directly into your mouth, so your tablet is fine.

RCO, fuzzy1 and bisco like this.