1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

seat removal disaster

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CJSK, Sep 12, 2018.

1. CJSK

CJSK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Base
    trying to do a seat replacement on my C as my seats are starting to fall apart.

Attempting bolt removal on passenger seats... i somehow sheared two of the heads off.

I had the right bit with a perfect fit, but i sheered one by hand and the other with an impact wrench.

Sooo what the hell?? Why cant i get these nolts off? And what am i supposed to do about the two sheered off heads??!!

:mad::mad: Frustrated

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is this a flood car?

you can drill into the bolt and use an easy out.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If there are any left, slide under the car and spray their exposed ends with some PB B'laster or other penetrating oil, then come back for them tomorrow.

Using a regular impact wrench (the kind that uses hard knocks to turn the socket) is risky, as you've seen, with small seized fasteners, as it may just twist the heads right off.

A kind of tool more to the purpose is this sort of thing:

[​IMG]

That's an air hammer it's chucked into, not an air wrench. You use your own open-end wrench on the outside hex to keep up a steady lefty-loosey force, while the air hammer's job is to just keep bopping away straight on the head of the bolt to shake the threads loose. That way there's nothing putting an excessive torque on the head to risk twisting it off.

-Chap