1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seatbelt release woes

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by randommonks, May 15, 2014.

1. randommonks

randommonks Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The front seatbelts on my 2013 Prius had always been a bit "sticky" in that they would require a bit of work to release (usually it required pushing the red release button along with a small tug). The dealership replaced the buckles on both front sides and the driver side release has worked better. The passenger side seems to have gotten worse. The main passenger I have is a small 11 year old and every time she goes to release the seatbelt, she has to press the red release button and then give the buckle 2-3 sharp tugs to release it. However, if an average size person sits in the passenger seat, the buckle releases normally.

The only way I can reproduce this problem without the child is if I buckle and release the seatbelt without anybody in the seat. I was wondering if someone could check their seatbelts to see if you just buckle the belt in with nobody in the seat, does it catch when released and need a bit of a tug to come free?

I'm thinking this may be an angle issue since the angle that the buckle is released is different between the lap of the 11 year old and the lap of the 40 year old service advisor. If I can get some data that other Prius' seatbelts catch when the seat is empty or that the seatbelt releases smoothly when the seat is empty, I can then make the decision whether to take this back to the dealership and have them take a look at it again.

I appreciate any help that can be given! :)

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you should make a video on your phone to show them. They should just take your word for it, why the heck would you want another receiver if it's not broken/defective?

3. randommonks

randommonks Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for that suggestion about the video. I think it's what I'm going to do before I go in for my 10k maintenance. I actually took the car to a different dealership than the one I normally go to and they flat out said that they didn't find a problem and didn't bother trying to troubleshoot with me. I figured I had already wasted enough time waiting on the assistant of the service advisor to realize he had 2 people at his desk and just drove the car out of there.