1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Second battery died within 2 years

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by JenFVL, Nov 7, 2017.

1. JenFVL

JenFVL New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm bumming hard right now. I bought a 2001 Prius with just over 20,000 miles on it in 2015. I knew I was taking a risk with the hybrid battery, as I've heard that Prii drive better and longer when they are driven frequently. The battery died before my warranty was up (I felt so lucky!) and it was replaced in January 2016 by the dealer. Shortly after that I started having intermittent problems with it, getting the red triangle and sometimes the car wouldn't go over 25mph, then it would suddenly be fine again. I took it into the dealer but was told since there wasn't a problem when I brought it in, they couldn't do anything for me. This happened on and off over the past year and a half, and each time it would resolve before I could get it to the dealer, no problem codes to pull. My 6 year old jokes about how my car "fixes itself". So now, it happened again and did not fix itself. The dealer says I need the battery replaced, but it's less than 2 years old! I called Toyota, who also said it's only under warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles. I feel like I got a faulty battery and there is nothing I can do. Any advice? At this point, I don't really want to get another Prius and as it is a 2001, feel that it's not worth $3K to fix. I'm hoping I can at least get the dealer to agree to fix it and give me a little bit for a trade-in. Advice? Also, I don't know anything about cars. I'm just a stressed out mom trying to figure out what to do next.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have never seen a NEW Toyota battery fail in such a short time.

If it was a NEW one installed at a Toyota dealer since January 1, 2016, it has a 3 years warranty.
    Up until December 2015 they had only offered a 1 year.
    But 1/1/16 they extended it to 3 years.
    (Still only 1 year if installed at an independent shop)

Is the car driven regularly?
    As in, once a week or so?

If not, perhaps it is simply a case of the hybrid battery getting low from sitting, which then throws a hybrid battery error code.
    This could be overcome with installation of a hybrid battery charger. Then you could periodically "top off" the hybrid battery.

If they brought over the hybrid computer from your old battery, perhaps the hybrid battery computer itself is faulty?
    This could happen if your first battery corroded wires enough that it carried through onto the hybrid battery computer?
    I have seen that before. The pins on the connector are kind of a gross green and are corroded.
    This could be resolved by replacing the computer with a used one.

Feel free to call me if you want to talk through some ideas.

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hopefully you have dealer documentation of your complaints of intermittent failure shortly after the battery replacement. That should make it an obvious warranty issue.

4. JenFVL

JenFVL New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for the reply. I was also under the impression that it should be warrantied for 3 years / 36,000 miles based on what I have read online, but I called Toyota directly and was told that is not the case for replacement hybrid batteries, that this is only for new cars. I asked a few different ways to make sure we understood each other and she reiterated that a replacement battery is only under warranty for 12 months/12,000 miles, same as the dealer stated. I made sure she knew that it was replaced by a Toyota dealer. Perhaps I did not ask the right questions?

I drive the car every day an average of 10-30 miles. It has only sat one or two times for a week while we were on vacation.

I will ask them about the corroded computer. They charged me $450 just to open up the battery, said one of the wires 'snapped' and battery acid leaked everywhere, which is why they have to do a total replacement. I know for certain that something wasn't right after they replaced the battery, but I was never able to get them to pull a code when it was happening. I'm really wishing I had traded it in to them when it started acting up while they were telling me nothing was wrong with it :-/

5. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even if it is one year, you first reported issues within that time frame.

JenFVL likes this.
  6. JenFVL

JenFVL New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I only have one documented visit 3 months after the battery was replaced. After that, I would call them but they said don't bother coming in if the car is working fine and the alarms aren't showing on the dash. I wish I'd gone in more and asked them....but it's hard to take that much time out of my day as a working mom w/ kids. Lesson learned! I won't mess around with that again.

7. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This sounds very odd to me.
    I have installed a lot of NEW Toyota batteries in customers' cars and not heard of a new one failing this way.

As far as the High Voltage Hybrid battery warranty, I can tell you with 100% confidence that it was extended to 3 years. I independently verified it with my local dealer and Toyota corporate at the time it changed January 2016. Unless for some reason your Toyota region handles it differently?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. JenFVL

JenFVL New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Eric, I believe I did read that on your website, which is what I referenced when I called Toyota corporate. I will call again and ask someone else.

9. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If, for some reason it has reverted back to 12 months then that is news to me.

But they should be able to confirm that at one point it was 3 years.

If they can't confirm it was at one point then they don't have all the information.

10. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just confirmed with my dealer here in Madison, Wisconsin that it is still 3 years when done at the dealer/authorized installer.

12 months when sold across the parts counter or for fleet vehicle.

I also just confirmed with Toyota corporate (800 331-4331) that it is 3 years. This is across the board for all Hybrid Batteries. Not state specific.

Your dealer is wrong.

Call me and I can provide some info that may help sort this out for you.

#10 ericbecky, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    how could 3 years be for new cars, when new cars get 8 years?

and how is it that the battery that came with the car was still under warranty when it failed? the car was 15 years old.

JenFVL likes this.
  12. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I talked to the OP.
    This was a used car that the OP bought.
    The warranty was part of that sale.

3 years is for the hybrid battery as a part installed by the dealer service department.
    As opposed to the new car warranty.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a toyota dealer sold a 14 year old car?
    has the dealer agreed to the 3 years?

14. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm on the phone with the OP's dealer right now.... we shall see...

15. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With a bit of guidance the dealer rep was able to find and confirm the correct information.

**** 3 year warranty. ****

He was appropriately apologetic.
    I agreed that it is not something that comes up very often so it is easy to make a mistake. Especially easy since it was changed from the usual 1 year warranty policy.

The dealer is getting the part and will follow up with the OP.

16. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Very well done. This is what being a forum member is all about!

17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A professional going above & beyond the call of duty for sure!

m.wynn, Raytheeagle and JenFVL like this.
  18. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cape flying in the wind....
    Hybrid Hero to the rescue!

I am still interested to hear the final outcome from the OP though.

Will the dealer charge for labor? If so, will it be reasonable?
    Is the computer actually the problem, not the battery? etc, etc.

19. JenFVL

JenFVL New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi and thank you everyone! Especially Eric for being a voice of reason and giving them guidance. Best outcome possible! I had also called corporate about the warranty and was assured that my dealer was right; I said "hybrid battery" and didn't specify "high voltage battery"....it's so hard to figure this stuff out for someone like me who doesn't know much about cars. If I hadn't posted my question on here I would have just taken the loss. The dealer left me a voicemail today and I called back but haven't been able to actually talk to anyone yet. Per the voicemail, there is no charge and the car should be ready tomorrow or Monday. I think they felt reeeeally bad that they didn't know about the warranty, the service rep said a bulletin went out to everyone. I will post the outcome. I'm definitely going to be selling the car and looking for a newer used car.
    Gratefully,
    Jennifer

20. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many of us enjoy helping others with this amazing technology.

Personally, my philosophy is that I learn a lot and deal with problems. If, with a little extra effort, I can
    help others avoid the same problems, it is a sort of payback for when I learn from others.

I think also that many if us work professionally supporting others making sure we provide the best solution possible . We get mad when we see problems that could have been avoided if the service provider had been more diligent.

#20 Prodigyplace, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017