1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Second Brake Acuator Failure on 2005 Prius, Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by spartanjohn113, Jul 27, 2019.

1. spartanjohn113

spartanjohn113 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone! I have a 2005 Toyota Prius with brake fluid leaking out of the actuator. Had to replace the original part in January of 2017 and could only afford to get it used ($1,100 total vs $3,500 for new). The car has 140,000 miles on it and is in good condition outside of cosmetic damage caused by a former roommate.

As I see it, my choices are:

• A) Replace brake actuator with another used part ($1,100 rough estimate)

• B) Attempt to replace it myself ($300 however I have only replaced interior parts before, never anything around the engine)

• C) Put stop leak in the brake fluid reservoir and drive it until it fails while attempting to save for another car

• D) Attempt to sell or scrap the car before it gets worse, use this money towards a down payment on a new car (KBB value is between $1,000-$3,000 before this issue)
    Money is a little tight at the moment as I'm in my first job out of college with a fair amount of debt. Any suggestions, feedback, or advice would be very appreciated. Thank you!

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think you would not get another used unit after your experience with the first used one. Dorman has a rebuilt unit for around 800 with a lifetime warranty. You would have to pay additional labor if it went bad though. Plus as they just started rebuilding them there is no track record of how long they might last. How much is the labor to replace the unit vs price?

wnrsm and JC91006 like this.
  3. hexlogic

hexlogic New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there any other option than going for the Dorman, I've had mine replaced too, and got the lights and the actuator acting up again.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Only OEM new, ~$1,100.

5. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where are you buying a used actuator for $1100? I've bought 3 and they are $150 to $300 tops.

Look on car-part.com under Anti-Lock Brake Pump. You may need to call dealership and give your vin to ensure you have the correct ID number on used part.

6. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    140k mi in good condition, you might want to keep the car if you replace it yourself with a used one. However, paying $1100 on a $1000-$3000 I am not sure it’s a good idea. The other option is to sell it as is for $500-$1000 and use the $1100 you would pay for the repair and use it as downpayment on a $8000 2010+ lower mileage Prius. Longterm might be cheaper and with less headaches.
    If you were doing some work in your car yourself you could keep it but paying a shop for repairs it’s too costly.