1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Second day with my Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by HSuIPT, Jan 2, 2017.

1. HSuIPT

HSuIPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Took a round trip journey (17 mi one-way) mostly freeway, and some city. I managed to hit 60+ mpg on both legs. I am finding the technique of pulse / glide / braking a great learning experience. The Prius is a great teacher; control your fuel mileage like a practical video game! I had an almost fully charged battery at the end of the freeway segment. My last leg home, I was able to stay in EV mode with no one following me, traveling at 30-40 MPH. The car does have a very stable feeling to it, not sporty, but almost like its on rails. I think this is a combination of the Toyota suspension system and its unique drivetrain as compared to regular cars.

I did find Prius needs to get warmed up, so starting out cold is not very efficient. Parking in a garage might help a little in cold weather. It did occur to me the best way to maintain highway mileage is to stay in the slow lane (under 60 mph), many opportunities for coasting and regen braking as people transition, but statistically the most dangerous place to be. I think the lower speed of the Prius does make it a bit safer, but it is a calculated risk.

skayaks and bisco like this.
  2. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    The Prius C is a great little car - but it is a gas car at heart and my experience is that it's frustrating to try to keep it in EV mode. To the point that I'm hoping to replace it with a pure electric car later this year. Don't forget that every electron you consume was generated by the gas engine in the first place, so you're really only getting a benefit if you're consuming those electrons during driving conditions where gas engine propulsion would have been less efficient.

If you're as CDO about saving gas as I am then a way to shorten the warm-up time is to install a block heater to pre-warm the engine and perhaps even use a cabin heater to pre-warm the cabin. The car will still need to run the engine to warm up, but it won't run for quite as long and it sure is nice getting into the car when the cabin is already at a decent temperature. The downside is that you have to remember to go out and plug everything in before you plan to leave.

If you calculate your actual fuel economy by noting how far you've driven between fillups and noting how much gas went into the tank you'll probably find that the number shown on the driver information screen is about 5 to 8 percent optimistic.

3. roadrunner

roadrunner His (blue) and hers (black).

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I agree with Sean. "If you calculate your actual fuel economy by noting how far you've driven between fillups and noting how much gas went into the tank you'll probably find that the number shown on the driver information screen is about 5 to 8 percent optimistic." I am averaging 57mpg actual, but the dash shows 61mpg (7% difference). This is with using winter gas.

4. HSuIPT

HSuIPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Engine block heater is a good idea, On days that I drive, its less than 1 mi, and wish I could do it on pure electric EV, but won't happen, its too slow even without the cold weather. The gas mileage for that tiny run is around about 30 mpg, can't really complain for such a short drive. Good to know about the MFD's gas calcs, I plan on doing a manual calculation as soon as my tank runs dry.... gas gauge must be broken, seems to be taking forever!

5. GregoryG

GregoryG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Using an engine block heater just means that you are using electrical energy to heat the engine rather than gasoline. But, much of the engine heat from the gas comes for free as heating the engine is a side effect of propelling the car. So, while heating your engine may help gas mileage, it is probably increasing your overall energy consumption and may end up costing you more.

6. HSuIPT

HSuIPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    True that! Guess I am tempted to do a calculation, but that might be overkill, just happy I'm saving fuel. The temps here don't get much colder than 40s, maybe 32F on rare occasion, may not be justified.

7. Sean Nelson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I'm less concerned about cost and more concerned about using less gas. And since all the power where I live is generated from hydroelectric dams it's greener than warming the engine and the cabin with fossil fuels - especially since I spend a fair bit of time sitting at stop lights where the engine doesn't have to be running for propulsion.

8. HSuIPT

HSuIPT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    This would be a fair reason in favor of engine warming. I had thought about solar panels charging a 12VDC battery and an inverter that heats the engine block a few hours before the morning commute. The best option if you already have a solar system setup in your home.

9. Ebs

Ebs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I don't think I would want to worry much about using the engine block heater in moderate winter climate. It seems to be an overkill; the car occupant would need heat during the trip and, that seems to be more efficient coming from the gas engine. This is more true if your trip right after the cold start is a long one, in which you have plenty of opportunities to make the driving efficient; the "wasted" gas to warm up the engine would be even out with your driving style during that long trip. Just my 2 cent;)

10. Sean Nelson

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    If cold weather requires a longer engine warmup, then a longer trip means a lower miles per gallon, but that extra warmup time still uses more gas. Say, for example, that it uses an extra 0.1 litres - no matter how far you drive it won't negate the fact that that extra fuel was used.

I sometimes use a block heater and a cabin warmer here in Vancouver BC where temperatures are close to freezing. I've done some very rough estimation of how much savings I get based on the fuel economy display and I figure it's around 0.1 litres or so per outing. Where I live the cost of that gas is very roughly around the same cost as the electricity I pay for to heat the engine and the cabin. So I'm not really ahead or behind by anything significant, but I do feel better about not wasting that gas (which adds up over the month) and I like starting my drive with a cozy warm cabin without having to run the engine excessively to heat it up.