1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Second generation catalyst question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jackmccullough, Jul 1, 2019.

1. jackmccullough

jackmccullough Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2008 Second generation, 173k miles

Recently I've noticed that the cruise control won't activate, at least hardly ever. I took it to my regular garage and they told me it's the result of the check engine light being on. According to them Toyota and Subaru disable cruise control when check engine is on.

I am a bit skeptical because the light has been on for a few months and this just started.

They test it and the code says I need a new catalytic converter. $2400. They say they've had bad experiences with aftermarket converters.

Does their explanation make sense? And is it worth the money or better to replace?

TIA

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should get a Mini VCI, set it up on an older laptop and read the codes yourself. Then post them here. There are codes that do disable the cruse control but since your light was already on you have no way of knowing if this is a new problem. Internet dealer price for a new cat is around 1625 and any muffler shop can install it for a lot less than what your shop wants.

Raytheeagle likes this.