1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Second-hand (or shared) purchase of a 3rd-gen (not DVD) nav update?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Daryl K, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Northeast Ohio, specifically.

jzchen likes this.
  2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    For NAV update need the $60/two day level, can download Techinfo software hook up to OBDII and scan car...

moto g(7) power ?

3. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hmm, kinda cutting into the savings at that point.

Based on what I've learned in this thread it seems pooling is not an option (I did that once with a Chrysler update, which came on DVD), but I may call around to multiple dealers and see what kind of price range I am looking at.

Thanks!

jzchen likes this.
  4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Pooling can save on the TIS $60 and $85 USB. Activation Card is a must for each installation. (I'm not sure how long the install code is good for so safe bet is local pooling)...

moto g(7) power ?

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No, just RUDE.
    Having been a member of this forum for near to 10 years, you should know how things like this work........and not complain when someone kisses you on the left cheek instead of the right.
    (y)

6. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe you can explain how it's rude. I have been a member for 9 years (see my profile), so it's not like I don't "know how things like this work."
    (BTW, your profile says you joined 3 years ago, not 10).
    The fact is, with this particular debate topic (in-vehicle nav) people always veer toward "use your phone instead," regardless of the car, regardless of the make, regardless of the forum. I wasn't looking for that template answer, hence my wording.

I might add you seem to be the only one interpreting my polite re-direction as "rude," but one can find any kind of malfeasance in any sentence (or action) if they are determined to.

7. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it actually came to those prices ($80 and $65) I probably wouldn't worry about pooling. That's on the high side, but still can be considered (somewhat) reasonable. I was a little taken aback by the prices my local dealer wanted, but perhaps they are the exception on the range they were quoting.

EDIT: I noticed you were talking about TIS, so disregard. But some of the other activation prices I saw quoted were - if not good, at least "better" - than I had been expecting (USB + activation).

#27 Daryl K, Aug 19, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That would definitely count as an explanation from a leading authority.

Unless I miss my guess, Sam did mean your profile when saying "nearly 10 years". But he's also been around longer than you'd think from the sam spade 2 profile; there was Sam Spade before that. I suppose different accounts could conceivably be different people, but there's a certain unity of attitude suggesting those two were not.

9. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'll agree on that one - re-reading I think he was referring to me, not himself, regarding "nearly 10 years." Fair enough. I personally don't care how long (or not) he's been on here, but was only pointing out what I perceived to be a contradiction between his statement and his profile, since corrected.

Still not getting how politely saying "I am looking for this, not that" with even "please" and "thank you" sprinkled in can even remotely be construed as "rude," but like I said: you can find anything anywhere if you are really determined to do so, and Sam was clearly intent on doing so.

10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    @Daryl K I hear you. The price at Alhambra was so good, my first update doing it all by myself was excessive in comparison. The $85 USB does not include shipping nor sales tax, so expect over $100. That said I never went back. It was too good maybe they were giving me a one time good will. I also felt guilty exploiting/abusing it. (To be honest I wasn't charged any labor. I was asked if I could leave it for a while as the technician would do it on his free time. I happily agreed. Also got a discount on the activation card buying it from the parts department)...

moto g(7) power ?

11. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there a vid of this process somewhere? I am trying to picture where the activation card fits in, though my guess is it's a unique number that you have to type in to begin the update?

12. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    At over $300 not many people would pay and do it on their own.... JPEG_20210820_060809_2814556198813939314.jpg

moto g(7) power ?

13. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So if I may ask, what was your reasoning (to doing it yourself)?

Was the process very complicated?

14. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The dealers didn't know how to do it back then. I'm a tech freak and money was available to spend. (Heck, I had to call Toyota TIS and got to speak to a guy who said he was in "Level 3", the one who helped me produce the installation code).

I took a peak when I had access more recently, and the instructions were actually implemented, not too complicated but the process is NASA/FBI/CIA approved security wise.

moto g(7) power ?

15. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This thread has gone way off what I think you are trying to accomplish. I tried to "Start a Conversation" with you (essentially a "Direct Message") but I get an when error doing so.

I would like to offer four options that can cost less than updating or repairing the unit in your 2012 Prius V. I am assuming that you have a MFD (MultiFunction Display) with the ID of 57011, or 57012. That unit has a Harmon expansion box on the bottom of the unit, which often go bad.

Option 1: Replace the MFD 57011 with a 510057 from a 2015 or 2016 Prius V (Only Prius V MFDs will fit in a Prius V). Currently, you can find these on eBay for under $250. You have to be careful about which one you buy, because Salvage yards often don't include the cables you need,

Doing this MFD upgrade requires a some work adapting the connectors, but once done, you will have a much nicer unit, that uses a much more reliable "Expansion Box" made by Pioneer, not Harmon. Also, you can update the with an SD card. The updated SD card lists for $160 at a dealership, but the 2021 version can be found for under $50 on eBay or Amazon. No need to get an unlock code. The whole process of upgrading to a 2015 unit is documented in this thread:

Retrofit Facelift Model (2015+) Head Unit to Pre-Facelift Model (2012 - 2014)

Option 2: I mentioned in Option 1 that the "Expansion Box" on the 57011 units go bad. If you are having issues with the GPS working properly, it is very likely that the Harmon expansion box (which is where the GPS antenna plugs in) is either bad, or has a bad connection to the antenna. Harmon boxes are available on eBay, but they are rarely cheap.

Option 3: If it is the antenna, you can find an Aftermarket replacement for very cheap (~$15) on Amazon:

Anina Car Active GPS Antenna for Kenwood DDX DNX KNA DDX Navigation Radio Compatible with Toyota Honda Nissan

You will need to file off a plastic ridge on the connector, but it will work. I have used one for three years before my Harmon box went bad (I broke the GPS input connector). The GPS in these MFDs use a combination of GPS satellites, and "Dead Reckoning". If the GPS does not see any GPS satellites, it will use speed and turning information provided by the car. If you turn left without an satellites, the GPS map will turn to the left on the map.. etc.. Cell phones need cell tower data to get their location, which can be problematic if there are no towers, or too many towers with signals bouncing off tall buildings.

If you see your MFD GPS starting to slowly get worse and worse, it may be using "Dead Reckoning" only. If the Harmon box does not see satellite data for a long period, it will start to report the wrong location and direction. New maps will not fix this problem! You can check if your MFD is seeing satellites by going into the options, and page down to the "Location & GPS" Information" option. If you see the following, especially with an address that is 5 miles away, your GPS signal is lost (159 Flick Drive is about 5 miles from my driveway).
    BadGPSData.jpg

Option 4:

As a last resort, and your daughter has to use a phone (using the Voice Guidance feature), I have a better idea for a phone mount. As an Uber Driver, I needed a good Phone mount that I can access using the "braille" method (not taking my eyes off the road for more than 1/2 second at a time). I came up with this mount modification, which really works for me in my 2013 Prius V:

Phone Mount @ the Front of Console (Good for Ubering)

Feel free to "Start a conversation" with me. Post in here if you get an error trying to start a conversation with me. My account seems to be messed up, and I get an error message when I try to "Start a conversation" with anyone else.

#35 gromittoo, Aug 21, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  16. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It is not just your account.
    It is a system bug that the owner is unwilling or unable to fix.
    It does not affect everybody though.

17. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you so much for the detailed response, and I do agree it went way off the original topic. Hence my attempt to redirect it back on topic, which was for some reason met with some hostility.

One correction I must make though: I do NOT have a Prius V. I could be wrong, but I don't think those even existed yet in 2012. I said "Prius IV," but maybe it would have been more clear had I typed it "Prius 4," or perhaps "Prius Four."

At any rate, I only made that mention because I wasn't sure if there was a difference in head units between say a four and a five, so I wanted to specify the exact year and model.

Having said all that, I don't know for a fact what the differences are between a Prius head unit and a Prius V unit, which may negate some of what you typed - except Option 4, which was my "Plan C" from the start. I am uncertain about 1-3 though...

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ah, you posted this in the "Prius v Audio and Electronics" forum, probably why people have thought you have a v.

The Prius v (lowercase) is the station-wagon version, not trim level V of the liftback.

Maybe you can get a moderator to move the thread into the Gen 3 Prius forum.

19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Are the head units different? Yes I thought you had a Prius v IV...

moto g(7) power ?

20. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My bad. I thought I went through the steps appropriately (in placing my thread) but perhaps I missed something.

Do we know any mods by name that I can ping to move the thread?