1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Second-hand (or shared) purchase of a 3rd-gen (not DVD) nav update?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Daryl K, Aug 18, 2021.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    @Tideland Prius

moto g(7) power ?

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Which is positively why some of the "answers" you get don't seem to exactly match the question you ASKED.
    :)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    1) You are not the first to mistakenly post in the Prius V forum. I don't think people meant to be hostile, but it does get frustrating.

2) Prius V head units don't fit other Prius models because they are 'V' shaped, and therefore will not fit in other models. I don't think the head units are otherwise different electronically.

3) I only am familiar with the Prius V, seeing as I own two of them. I don't know if the special mount I created makes sense in a regular Prius.

4) Using a phone as a GPS is not a great option in areas with tall buildings or weak cell signals. You are better off going "old school" and printing out step by step directions at home before going out. If the phone goes into "Recalculating" mode, the frustration is more likely to lead to a new driver accident, than would happen if a turn was missed.

5) I found the thread which brings up that hidden menu you mentioned in your post above. The post is confusing, as there is a "Back" icon in the upper right corner of the display. See below for details.

6) My 57011 MFD had stopped working correctly as a GPS one week ago. The map display was indicating movement, but the location was off by at least 10 miles. I could access a diagnostic (non-hidden) screen in the map options section, which told me that it was not seeing any satellites, and could not compute any coordinates.

Yesterday, I used the "Hidden menu" which allowed me to recover!

Start by pressing the "Setup" on on the right side of the display. These photos are of a 57011 running 5.2.0 firmware, and a Harmon extension box (running the current version, which I forget)

1) Press "General" Button:
    01-SettingsMenu.jpg

2) Press "Page Down":
    02-GeneralSettings.jpg

3) Press "Volume Settings"
    03-GeneralSettingsPGDN.jpg

4) Press "Navigation Prompt Volume"
    04-VolumeSettings.jpg

5) Press the "hidden" buttons (no feedback beep will be heard) in the following order:
    - Upper Button
    - Lower Button
    - Upper Button
    - Lower Button
    - Upper Button
    - Lower Button​

05-NavigationPromptVolume.jpg

6) Press "General"
    06-HidDiagTopMenu.jpg

7) Press "Page Down"
    07-HidDiagGeneral.jpg

8) Press "Reset Nav Calibration Only"
    08-HidDiagGeneralPGDN.jpg

The MFD will now reboot. Note that the GPS re-calibration will not be complete, until the car has moved about 100 feet, and made a turn. I lost all four of my Bluetooth pairings, but did not loose any radio station presets. YMMV

The Hidden menu also has some pretty detailed diagnostic screens, that let you identify which satellites it is seeing, and how strong the signal is. This can be helpful to tell if your GPS antenna is healthy. The factory GPS antenna is mounted on a metal shelf on the firewall, behind the instrument cluster. As I mentioned in other posts, aftermarket antennas work fine.

#44 gromittoo, Aug 22, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    doctorman likes this.
  5. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Many of the participants in this group use the PriusChat mobile app. I think the app makes an attempt to identify the user's phone brand and model. I am not sure what purpose this fills, especially since it often adds a question mark at the end.

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    TapaTalk provides their software for use, for free. I allow it to post that that is what I am using as gratitude for that. There used to be a Pro version that I paid a little for in the past but seems gone...

moto g(7) power ?

7. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks! I may try this!

8. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Actually with regards to the Prius navigation there were no mismatches with my question whatsoever. I only got onto the topic of which model to clarify if there were any differences in the head unit, and it turns out: none that impact my questions.

My request to redirect back on topic only came from the inevitable response to ditch the nav system altogether and use my phone. I am of course fully aware that my phone is an option, and had been using it the past year (after the nav got "funky" and before I turned the car over to my daughter). Therefore there's no point in posting a query about a solution I already knew of and was even using; I was asking only about the Prius nav update itself, of which my info was lacking. Maybe I would go through with updating it, maybe I wouldn't, but I was seeking the info to make that informed decision myself. Seems reasonable, no?

The topic strayed from what was posted, and I politely asked to redirect it back on topic. There is nothing rude, impolite mean or even unkind about doing so. And again, no one else seemed confused about this communication, so I have no doubts or regrets over how my responses were worded.

Anyway, I am done explaining that, and didn't think it was necessary the first time, but your comment quoted here makes it clear there some disconnect somewhere between what I am typing and what you are reading.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's a non-negligible population on PriusChat who have found that the 'ignore user' function can make for a more serene forum experience.

It comes with its own downside, though. The way this forum works, if you have someone on ignore, you don't see anything they've written, even when it is quoted in someone else's response to it. That leads to its own occasional moments of comedy when somebody who has Sam on ignore will take offense at somebody else's post because they don't see that it was addressed to Sam.

10. Daryl K

Daryl K Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I appreciate the info, but try not to take such an "angry" approach and won't block or mute any user(s).

Anyway, I like gromittoo's suggestion and am just looking to verify the exact keypresses needed to perform a "factory reset." No guarantees it'll work, of course, but since it's no longer "my" car she can start over with the configuration process. :)

11. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That group is comprised mostly of those who "can't handle the truth" !!!!!

:ROFLMAO:

12. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    One man's "THE TRUTH", is another's "EXTREME UNNECESSARY RUDENESS"!

I embrace the later, as IMHO, the purpose of these forums is to help other people, not to humiliate people for their misfortune.

Ed Beaty likes this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Reading this too quickly, I shudder at the thought of gromittoo embracing extreme unnecessary rudeness.

gromittoo likes this.
  14. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

15. doctorman

doctorman Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I hope this has been stickied somewhere, very useful info!
    57011 navigation radio reset