1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Second jumpstart in a month?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Falconrygal, Feb 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Falconrygal

Falconrygal New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've had my 2006 since 09 (I think?) and it's already had the hybrid battery replaced (within like a year) and since then it's been tough as nails. However, in the past year I've had to get 3 jump starts. One was around mid/late-year last year and then I've had two in the past month now! They're dumb issues like a light was left on etc usually but this is getting a bit ridiculous. Never had this issue before now so obviously it isn't a user-error type deal. I'm guessing the 12v battery has to be replaced soon? And if so, would it be easier to do it myself or go to dealership? I know nothing about cars but usually my dad figures out the way to do it and does it for me. He's only replaced head/tail lights so far though.

dalcon95 likes this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The right buzzword is S46B24R, that battery should be available at the dealer and at Auto parts stores in town, call around.

Here are videos on instillation.

Guided tour, he removes more parts

No talking, just doing

dalcon95 and Falconrygal like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, you need a battery. pick one up at a dealer/auto parts/batteries plus store/amazon. it's easy, show dad how it's done.;)

4. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Always remove the ground cable first.

In case it is not explained why in the vids: here some options

(1) When you have your spanner on the negative pole of the battery and accidently touch the metal of the car at the same time, nothing happens.

(2) However, when you have your spanner on the positive pole of the battery first and touch the metal of the car at the same time, you short the battery causing hundreds, maybe even thousands of amperes to flow through your spanner. If you are lucky, you will just see some big sparks. If you are unlucky, molten metal will land on your skin and your car will burn down to the ground.

(3) Once the link between the negative pole and the battery has been removed (step (1)): if you have your spanner on the positive pole of the battery and touch the metal of the car: nothing happens, as the bodywork of the car is no longer attached to the negative pole of the battery!!!!!

This is extremely simple electronics, yet some mechanics don't realise this.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My father-in-law once made a nice 2nd degree burn all the way around his wrist from his metal watchband by ignoring that advice. I don't remember if the watch survived or not, but it sure did hurt.

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    IF......you have no particular desire to learn mechanical things.....and aren't broke and living in your car......then pay someone to install it for you. It does not have to be a dealer though. Will probably save about $50 by having another shop do it.