1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Second Place Is First Loser

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Pinto Girl, Oct 22, 2007.

1. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No drinkin' and hypermilin', now...
    _H*

2. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 22 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]528951[/snapback]</div>
    :mellow: How are you doing Natalie? You are a dear e-friend to us all.

Lee

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oxnardprof @ Oct 25 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]530463[/snapback]</div>
    Well, there are TV shows that glorify excessive consumption and a gluttonous lifestyle, MTV's "Cribs" for example.

Really, could you think of a worse example than a professional (stick and ball) athlete or a Hip-Hop performer? Yet so many wish to emulate their lifestyle.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it does!

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What I think many people fail to remember is that there is a difference between rich and wealthy. At least, in my mind there is. I got this idea from the book, "The Millionaire Next Door."

"Rich" is an impression.
    "Rich" is what others think you are.
    "Rich" is how you dress, what you drive, what you wear, and where you live.

"Wealthy" is the amount in your bank account.

Many people forgo 'wealth' for 'rich'. They spend all their money - and then borrow - to establish an illusion that they are rich. They do this because the American Marketing Machine tells them that it's the right thing to do. They do this because they want to appear richer than their neighbors. They do this because unlike 'wealth' 'rich' gives other people something to look at.

The Prius, for the most part, is a pretty unassuming vehicle. I certainly did not buy one because I felt that I was making an effort of showing off my bling. In my mind, there are very few things that proclaim "nerd" more than a Prius (a la Weird Al).

So when I read/hear/interact with people who are dissing the Prius because it doesn't tow, it doesn't accelerate, it doesn't off road, or whatever it doesn't do I know that what it does do best is question the average American's need to own a car/truck/SUV that does all those things. And in my mind, that is what annoys other people the most. The more people see happy little Prius owners the more they question their own purchasing habits. The more they question their weekly fill-ups. The more they get annoyed.

For me, it's not about having the money to afford "better," it's about having the intelligence to know what "better" actually is.

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Oct 26 2007, 09:20 AM) [snapback]530683[/snapback]</div>
    Good thoughts Tony. I live in an area adjacent to nicer McMansions (New Money), and also a little farther away are the houses of people with Old Money. The New Money houses are showy and visible, but the Old Money houses are usually hidden away in private drives. You could say Old Money people don't need to show off because anybody who counts already knows that they are wealthy, but I'm casual friends with some of them and they really are unassuming people. I don't think they feel a need for others to know their wealth (of course, I also know them mostly thru a volunteer nature group or church, so that is probably a pretty good filter there too, for the others I just see their houses or driveways).

I also have some friends with New Money (but not nearly as wealthy as the Old Money people) who have been outdoing each other with their new houses and are now in houses way too big for them. One family went thru some financial problems, so they dropped their kids health insurance for maybe a year, during which their daughter was diagnosed with asthma. I was just shaking my head - Dude! Sell one of your $10K+ motorcycles!!!! Sell that high-end brand-new Jeep! Don't drop health insurance!

I think American/western pop culture is focused on the New Money people and do everything they can to attract their wallets because that's how they make their money. Other people see this attention given to them and they want to have attention as well, so if they aren't really New Money, they can still look like they are by going in debt (just for awhile, right?).

I fall into this category sometimes as well. I bought a house bigger than needed (altho at 2500 sq. ft. it's apparently about normal for new houses). I bought a new car when I would have been happy with a 5-year old compact. So I fit in more than I want to. I grew up in a poor community, and people are just as happy there, and a lot of them reject the consumption craze. The big problem is having enough money for health care and a comfortable house.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, other than our landscape is a bit more varied than can be summed up in a couple pithy statements. Popular media is focussed on one demographic, so it's easy to think this is all there is, but it's not so. But important policy and environmental action can't take place without some kind of consent from this popular demographic.

(BTW I've ridden in the low-end Range Rovers and was spectacularly unimpressed. You can't fit 5 people in there unless you use the tiny jumpseat in the back with your head against the ceiling, even in the back seat your shoulders are scrunched and your feet can't move, and if you take a corner at more than 10 mph the whole thing leans and you're pushed against the window. One friend tried taking his over a small ditch out of a parking lot, broke something in a door window and it cost several hundred $ to fix it. And it gets about 12 mpg on a good day.)

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 22 2007, 10:35 PM) [snapback]529147[/snapback]</div>
    Which is why I should be able to retire at 50, because I never felt the "need" to show off for others. Guess you can thank my folks for proper upbringing. I know I've stated it to you a few times, and I will repeat for the others in the audience: work hard, save, avoid debt, and anybody can be the "millionaire next door."

I do get a chuckle out of those folks who buy Escalades with the ginormous low profile wheels. They're the first ones to piss and moan about how "tough" life is, can't make ends meet, etc. Well, nobody pointed a firearm at them and forced them to buy the Escalade.

Anybody who seriously worries what other folks may think of them - especially their perceived "wealth" - is a fool. Get real!

But I'm happy to hear that we think alike on this topic

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 22 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]528951[/snapback]</div>
    Are you just reading that for fun? Or are you planning on buying a winery? Based on numerous threads, I think you'll have a lot of PCers wanting to take long vacations visiting you as soon as your first vintage is ready to drink.

9. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Oct 26 2007, 08:52 AM) [snapback]530715[/snapback]</div>
    Ha ha. So many of those people can barely make the lease payments on those cars they can't really afford, and then they have no money left to put gas in them (which might be a good thing actually).

I know people that make about 1/10th what I make who drive cars that cost 2x what mine cost. They will die at their jobs, since they have no retirement funds, and will actually die with negative net worth.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Oct 26 2007, 08:27 AM) [snapback]530707[/snapback]</div>
    On another forum I frequent, some member was selling his expensive aftermarket wheels, as his wife was having some medical problems and he needed the money. I didn't say anything, but I mean, Wth are you doing spending money on expensive aftermarket wheels when you don't even have a couple thousand dollars in the bank to pay for some minor medical expenses.

10. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 26 2007, 04:15 PM) [snapback]530876[/snapback]</div>
    I remember the first car I bought after getting a real job. I had moved to Texas with an old VW bug, which was great but didn't have A/C and some other modern amenities. One tinny speaker that couldn't be heard over the engine and road noise. So after I saved up some money (at the same time I was paying down my college loans about triple the minimum rate) I bought a 5-year-old economy car in good shape with the money I had saved. I was talking to some friends awhile later and one confided to me that his wife had said that I could have bought something much nicer. Several thoughts went thru my head, first - why should she even care, second - I hadn't even thought of gettin something fancier, and third and what I said, which was that then I would have to go into debt for it. That comment was just a total surprise to me.

I did go into debt on the Prius, in fact I should pay it off in December, about 20 months after buying it. Then I'm done with car payments for awhile, hopefully a good long while.

11. nerfer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Oct 26 2007, 10:27 AM) [snapback]530707[/snapback]</div>
    I was thinking about this a little as I was biking home. I think there's the following categories of have and have-nots:

Always had it: they make most of the policy decisions and run the corporations, but don't talk about it much
    Just got it: they show it off the most, but still their equity is always positive
    Want to have it: biggest group, they spend like they do have it, in debt, and marketing/popular media caters to them
    Have almost enough:that's me, marketing wants to convert people like me to the above category
    Can't have it: perpetually poor or new/uneducated immigrants
    Have what little they need:I remember a villager in Bulgaria with a small but interesting house, he explained cheerfully "all you need is a bed to sleep on, a table to eat and drink your rakia (brandy) at, and a smile"

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Oct 26 2007, 09:38 PM) [snapback]530985[/snapback]</div>
    Was he n@ked?

Well, I guess with enough brandy...you don't care.

13. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Natalie, I am sorry to hear that you have been laid off. I don't know which is worse - getting laid off or having to tell 30 people that their jobs no longer exist because the dot-com bubble just burst and the investor's have pulled out. I have been on both sides of that coin before. Hopefully, you are not buying into the title of your thread; that is more in tune with the brainwashing that Accenture, EDS, and the like use on their college recruits. It strikes me as offensive if that head trip is laid on someone who has just lost their means of supporting themselves. This post is my wish that you will land on your feet in a great opportunity real soon.

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Oct 26 2007, 12:40 AM) [snapback]530594[/snapback]</div>
    [blushing] oh, gosh, thank you; I'm very well, actually.

You know, for the first time in my life, my emotional health does *not* seem to be inexorably linked to the health of my career. It's a bit surprising to me, actually; I was fully prepared to enter the depths of depression after being laid off. I tend to be fairly passionate about whatever it is that I'm doing, and when that routine was disrupted...oh my, I was expecting the worst.

But it didn't happen. I think forcing myself to take time for myself (the wine thing is part of that; the ritual and the pace of it and how that can't be rushed) is really helping to remind me that I don't have to ride that same roller coaster again.

What's really cool is that part of my "reemployment plan" through the EDD included attending a meeting of Toastmasters. I've always wanted to do that but never made time for it --until now, when I had to-- and it was AWESOME!! I've begun attending regularly and even won "best table topic" this last time around!!
    :) I never would have done this otherwise.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Oct 25 2007, 11:53 PM) [snapback]530589[/snapback]</div>
    I know...I might spill my drink/it's difficult to see around the bottle...!
    [laughing about something that's actually a serious subject]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 26 2007, 10:52 AM) [snapback]530716[/snapback]</div>
    Somewhere in between, actually. The layoffs, along with <strike>suffering</strike> having my 45th birthday looming next month, has me wondering what I'd like to do with the rest of my life. I'm weighing the possibility of acquiring between 2-4 acres at the north end of the Napa Valley, near Calistoga, actually. The fantasy is a small place for me to live on my own little mini-vineyard, and perhaps a cottage or two on the other side of the property, which I might rent to someone long-term/use as a guesthouse/make available for visiting family and friends/perhaps even rent out short term during the tourist season.

Don't get the wrong idea...this is NOT some high falutin' "Napa Style" inspired spa (won't that Chiarello guy please, please go take a walk in the garden?) and we won't be selling embroidered shirts with the company logo on the breast pocket!

I don't know how all of this will turn out, but I AM beginning to realize that I have options, that maybe there are other scenarios which I might pursue that could provide me personal satisfaction, along with a way to express myself creatively, too. I think that, in itself, is really healthy for me, even if nothing comes of this particular dream.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Oct 26 2007, 10:06 PM) [snapback]530992[/snapback]</div>
    You know who said "Second place is first loser"? This career coach/motivator I once interviewed.
    :-(

That kind of thinking is so deterministic and simplistic and it doesn't work for me...even if I'm lucky enough to be the "winner."

I appreciate your thoughts; financially, I'll be okay...it's the emotional side of it which worried me the most. That appears to be in the past tense...I'm terribly skeptical, but seem to be finding an emotional center that's independent of my performance at work. I suspect that, for the first time in my life, I'll be pursuing two or three different interests simultaneously, instead of being as specialized as I have been...this, too, is not what I was taught that "success" is...another challenge, apparently!

--Natalie