1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Second Prius in the family

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by anotherOne, Dec 29, 2013.

1. anotherOne

anotherOne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have an '06 Prius, package two. Got my wife a 2014 Prius, also package 2, to replace her old car. So now I have some questions;
    The salesman had never heard of any sound generator in the Prius to alert the visually impaired and blind. Can't find a direct reference in the manual, tho I am still reading it.
    What is with the manual, anyway? Much harder to read...
    The new car is a dark color. There is some sort of paint protection for darker colors...never heard of this. Good idea or salesman just trying to make more $$$ ?
    Like my '06, the '14 has handles inside to assist people in getting in and out of the car. But the manual says that these cannot be relied on for support. If not, why are they there???

I am somewhat disappointed. I see no reason for a 1.8L engine, and th Prius C is simply too small. I see no reason for the duplication of displays (why do we need mpg per minute anyway?); it is simply too busy. But it is a Prius. Any thoughts?

2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I believe the 1.8 actually makes this car more fuel efficient, it does have a higher mpg rating than the Gen II.
    I do agree with your comments about the displays. As for the grab handles, my guess is fear of lawsuits prompted the "cannot be relied on" passage.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard. Gee, you could also trade in in for a c or something else. Does the wife like it?

4. anotherOne

anotherOne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    We were originally going for a Prius C, but she would have none of it. Too small for her. She loves the new car.

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh good.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am thinking Plug-Ins such as PiP (Plug-In Prius) are required to have noise generator, but not hybrids. If the salesman never heard of it, I guess he never sold a plug-in PiP. Can a PiP owner confirm?

As far as 1.8 engine you will perhaps appreciate your car more after viewing this Youtube video from Toyota describing Gen3 vs. Gen2 improvements.

7. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome! We're a 2 Prius family as well.

8. anotherOne

anotherOne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ok, I have read more of the owners manual. The car has coat hooks I cant hang anything from ('might become projectiles', ya know), 'assist grips' that my mom can't use to get in or out of the car, displays I dont need (but I won't be driving it anyway).
    Definitely disappointed.

9. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I grab those hooks daily.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're overreacting. (orr jealous!:p ) gen III is a great vehicle. and while some prefer gen II, there are a muriad of small improvements. (and a few regressions as well unfortunately) the bottom line is higher efficiency in a (slightly) larger car. there is a proximity warning (aka noisemaker) under 15 mph, but to hear it, you need to be next to or in front of the vehicle while it is moving. all the best to your wife, she has the right attitude.(y)

11. anotherOne

anotherOne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Jealous? Honestly? Yeah. Perhaps I misstated my feelings. I do like the car, might trade mine in for one. I am disappointed that the dealer that has serviced my gen 2 lied to me multiple times. Many of these I knew about, but some I am just finding out. Little things like the clock/calendar wasn't set (but he said it was), the traction battery is NiCad, not Li-ion like he said it was, etc.
    I am also somewhat perplexed by the owners manual. For example, the assist grips. Toyota could simply have rated their use to a certain weight range and put the obvious statements in about not exceeding that range. Instead, they named them 'assist grips' then state that they aren't supposed to be used for just that. The manual seems like one big disclaimer. Hardly user friendly. The DVD is fine, but it refers the driver to the manual rather than provide some simple instructions (how to turn on the heater). But I haven't finished the manual yet, so who knows...

12. anotherOne

anotherOne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ok, I have driven the new Prius some more, and I have a dumb question: when you fill up the tank and enter the 'gasoline price', do you enter 1) the price per gallon, or 2) the total price? The manual does not explicitly say which. I am presuming that the price ler gallon is to be entered, as the car calculates the mpg but does not know how much gas you put in to the tank. Dumb question, but I would like to know.

13. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Price per gallon

14. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, I've only filled up my prius once....and only halfway through a "barely 40mpg second tank" where do you enter the price per gallon? i scrolled through the menus and cannot locate it???

15. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four

That is a feature for 2012 and up. My 11 doesn't have it but my friend's 13 does. We get the clock and odometer at shutdown while the newer ones get a cost of trip and other info.

16. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah..ok, well i know my last car was a 22-25 mpg wonder to and from. and now I'm in a 40+mpg wonder so I know I'm saving right. Who needs a stinkin' computer.... :)

17. afob3

afob3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here's a shot of the 12+ screen at shutdown I grabbed from another thread.
    [​IMG]

18. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    57 cents to go to work. Man that would be nice...