1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Secret Doctor Conferences...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Jan 12, 2006.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    treadmill? ick. i've never been a runner.

i'm looking at cycle trainers because i don't want to get killed by some pickup-driving imbecile while out and about. i love biking and miss is like crazy. but as far as i'm concerned i'll take staying in shape and staying alive over being in slightly better shape and dead.

2. ralphh

ralphh New Member

I am an Ob/Gyn 1.0 FTE. I work 8 hours on Mon, Tue & Fri. Wednesday I do call, so I'm in the hospital from 7am to 7am(24 hours) and Thursday is my day off. So it totals about 48 hour work weeks.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you're interested, the Regency fireplace conversion I have is very similar to this one:

http://www.regency-fire.com/Wood/Inserts/I3100/

It has a pipe that goes outside so 100% of the combustion air comes from outside, never from inside the house. That's an important safety feature and also makes it one hell of a lot more effecient.

Since it's airtight, once the fire is really roaring along for 5-10 minutes, you can cut back the air feed so it just glows. If I light it first thing in the morning, the embers are still glowing at supper.

In the basement I have the standard pedestal Regency airtight stove on a separate chimney. This one also uses outside air for combustion:

http://www.regency-fire.com/Wood/Stoves/F3100/

I rarely use the wood stove in the basement, it's for "emergencies."

I think if your goal is to move to Florida, it is very reasonable to expect and design an off-grid home. It's much harder to do in a climate that can dip to -40, but actually there are more incentives to do so.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Believe it or not, there are many dedicated cycle and jogging paths in Winnipeg. Though I suppose a car could always jump the barrier and knock you off the Norwood Bridge into the river.

I first started jogging when I was a kid living in Utah, and have always kept it up. I feel real good when jogging and it prevents blubber from covering up my six pack.

5. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :lol:
    I figured so.... alot of misconception about that statement...

OB Gyn...is very broad and for the most part, patience, empathy, caring, kindness are needed for the general flow of duties required....

You have to admit many things just come easy to females "and males have to work at it" and other things come easy to males "and women have to work at it"

When you see a two year old playing with toys... the hormone flowing in thier veins tends to determine which areas they carry apptitude. I know when I say this there is alot of disagreement about this... but thats ok.

In my field when I say Technical.. that means installing Central lines, and doing procedures that are not "cut and dried" whereas you are forced to fly blindly and use tools and instruments whereas 'mechanical reasoning" is required, the males species ususally find it easier to accomplish without frustration based on what I have witnessed.

There are no absolutes.. I know there are great female mechanics, engineers etc... but they have to apply themselves unless from a small child they had alot of male influence to overide the estrogen.
    I also understand some males are strong in things that normally are only easy to females.

None of this is said to prove anything.. just merely my observations....
    You can disagree or agree.. it really doesn't matter. You cannot tell me what I have observed nor affect my interpretation of it... it is what it is...

If a male excels in something dominated by females... often that makes him "more of a man" in many eyes... Same with a female who is an excellent welder who works on skyscrapers... some see her as more of a woman... its all a matter of perspective.

Some women I wouldn't want to piss off in a bar.... maybe that makes them more of a woman too? :lol:

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Wow, go away for only a cpuple of days and see what happens.

...and people wonder why I decided to leave medicine and become a lawyer instead.

Also, someone needs to protect the doctors from the "I eat McD's 20 times a week and I'm grossly overweight but it's not my fault that I'm so unhealthy but you better fix me up better than perfect or I'm going to sue you" crowd.

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: perfect!!!!!!

There are many crooks out there, and they aren't always the ones with money either!... hey its the robinhood effect... its ok to steal from the rich right?