1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Securing the charging cable

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ThatTallGuy, Mar 14, 2012.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A pad lock is the only thing available that's small enough to not slip through either end of the charging cable.

Without it, there's nothing to secure to the vehicle itself.

2. ELYKB

ELYKB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A preventive measure is to not creat a market for stolen cable,
    I never eared of a stollen cable but I don't want to be the first one either

3. PhilBlank

PhilBlank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just installed the Prius Plug-in Lock that I had sent to me from WhiteRabbitJapan (see post above for details). I had the directions translated - they were extremely clear and easy to understand - once they were in English. I really took my time and it only took me about 30 minutes. Only special tools required - a 10 MM socket and a torx screwdriver large enough for the enclosed screws.

The kit comes with two keys and a key code metal plate in case the original keys get lost. This is a relatively simple mechanical lock. You insert the charging cable and then you 'lock it' in place. It prevents you from unlocking the cable from the car. When you press the silver lever on the top of the connector, it prevents the front part of the lever from being able to move up vertically...and therefore preventing it from being removed from the car. It probably could be forced if someone really wanted to get the cable out but it would take a fair amount of work.

The hardest part of the installation (for me) is to make sure that you get the correct screws into the correct holes. They are color coded and there are tons of warnings about putting them in the wrong screw holes. The instructions are clear but you will want to double and triple check. That is what took up most of my time. Triple checking that I have the right color screw into the correct hole. Also, be sure to remove the screws exactly as described. Do not remove them all at once. Just follow the directions as given and you should be just fine but YMMV...;)

Anyway, this was kind of a fun and easy project (and no, I am not particularly mechanical) for my 2014 Prius Plug-in. I am now ready to 'chance' using my Toyota charger in public knowing that I can safely lock it in place.

Phil

P.S. I would be happy to forward the translated instructions if anyone would like them...and if there is a way to 'post files' on the forum, if someone could let me know, that would be great.

#83 PhilBlank, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    lensovet and rxlawdude like this.
  4. PhilBlank

PhilBlank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OK...just figured out how to upload files...

The first file is the original Japanese instructions with some 'sticky notes' that provide clarification on the bolt color.

The second file is the raw translation of the Japanese instruction...indexed by page number and diagram.

Good luck

Attached Files:

lensovet and rxlawdude like this.
  5. -Rozi-

-Rozi- Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    I quit locking after a week, because:
    1. I haven't heard of anyone had his cable stolen around here.
    2. In E.U. you need a "Mennekes" cable for public charging stations. It costs around €200, which is considerably less than Toyota's OEM charger.
    3. I forgot to lock mine half of the time. Then I started worrying after I have been a few blocks away already.
    4. I used to lock the release button using a small padlock, which was a joke for anybody who would consider stealing my cable seriously.
    5. Locking took half of the fun of plugging-in away.

So carefully considering all pros and cons, I've decided to reduce locking to using a padlock only for Toyota's OEM charger when public.

Other than that, I enjoy reading and seeing your imagination on locking here. (y)

6. Astolat

Astolat Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm much the same, for the same reasons, but I do sometimes lock the Mennekes cable if the charger doesn't lock it in -I prefer to have it locked at least at one end. But most people have no idea how much any of the cables are worth.

Thinking about it, I might at least write my car reg on the handles of both cables with a Sharpie. Again, not impossible to get off or disguise, but one more reason not to take the cable to try and resell it.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thats a nice looking unit. how much are they?

8. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    20140606_214109.jpg
    A small luggage combination lock with a fairly long shank was my choice, and it works perfectly.

#88 GregP507, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  9. PhilBlank

PhilBlank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The 'Japanese Lock' system is pretty pricey. Lists for about $125 based on the current exchange rate and by the time I got mine, it was about $155. I actually ordered two of them so I could give one as a gift to a family member who also has a PIP.

Does it pencil out? Absolutely not. Is it a lot cheaper to use one of the smaller locks suggested above - absolutely and, I suspect that the security aspect is just as good.

However, it was a fun 'do it yourself' project and the coolness factor can't be beat. Certainly fun to show off to other PIP owners...

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    much more money has been spent on much less useful mods.:p all the best!(y)

lensovet likes this.
  11. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for this! It does look much cleaner and convenient to use than the luggage lock combo alternative, even if much more expensive.

I gotta love the flow chart troubleshooting diagram at the end of the instructions. No way something like this would ever show up in an American instruction manual!

12. Camfab

Camfab Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Both solutions are good ideas. What a drag that you have to worry about locking your cables.

lensovet likes this.
  13. PhilBlank

PhilBlank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You are right about the troubleshooting chart. Don't see those much anymore.

Overall, this has been an interesting adventure. I have actually ordered another kit for a buddy of mine who wants to install one on his PIP after seeing mine. I don't quite understand why Toyota does not offer this over here. It would be a very easy dealer installed option. If it took me 30 minutes to install it, it would take someone who knew what they were doing about 10 minutes.

I wonder if it is because there is a key rather than the fancy key fobs that the PIP uses. Not really sure.

I have noticed a few chargers that have dual ports...one is the standard level two cable that plugs right into the PIP and the other is a 110 volt outlet. I don't mind using my charge cable at home but out in a major parking lot, I think that having some kind of retention mechanism will put my mind at ease.

14. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ChargePoint 110 outlets are behind a locking door. Once the charge begins, the door locks, so your cable is secured in that case without any additional add-ons.

15. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If anyone seriously wants my charging cable badly enough to break the lock, they can have it. Last Friday night, I watched out the window of my hotel, while a kid walked by my car and shook the charging cable as he went by. If I hadn't locked it, there's a chance he might have snitched it.

16. PhilBlank

PhilBlank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I didn't realize that the door locked after you plugged in. Good idea...but I will still lock my cable...have to get my money's worth...;)

17. Mon

Mon New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am thinking of using one of the bolts on the port to secure the cable. I'll attach an L shape bracket to the bolt. Run a cable through the bracket and the charge cable and putting a padlock on it. I'll do this over the weekend and let you guys know how it works out.

18. PhilBlank

PhilBlank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That sounds cool...be sure to post some pictures if you can!

19. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The thing is that when it's locked, you never know how many times the lock saved it from being stolen. If you leave it unlocked and it never gets stolen, that doesn't mean it won't get stolen the next day.

I call it "peace of mind" to lock it.

20. evfinder

evfinder Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was at Westfield's Century City in LA yesterday and there was a sign placed there by one of the Volt drivers that use the 110V outlets regularly saying that his EVSE had been stolen. Guess it's time to start locking the charger.