1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Security system not active

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Fernando12355, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Fernando12355

Fernando12355 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    2015 Toyota Prius IV. I got a an aftermarket alarm system installed to prevent car theft. At least to alert me if there is a crook. But I have noticed that the anti theft alarm does not go off. For example. Normally, if you lock a cars door with a key and 30 mins later you unlock or open the door without the remote key, then the alarms go off. But it doesn't happen. I installed the alarm and it works "lights up" alarm (aftermarket) is been triggered. But no response from the car. I got Toyota tech stream and I tried accessing "security" and anti theft but is not connecting or blank. Do these cars have relays or fuses for anti theft? Panic alarm button on remote keys makes car alarm go off. I have no codes and car runs great. Is there an ECU May be causing issues? Could somebody have disabled it? I thought that so I got techstream to turn it back on but is not accessible. Help please!

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did it ever work as you think it should?

3. Fernando12355

Fernando12355 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

No, it has not. I locked my car with my remote and then opened/unlocked the door to get out well past 30 seconds and no alarm. I had other Toyota's where that def triggers alarm. So my security system detects shock. Installed properly and connected to trigger ground and power by fuse all nice and done and it lights up when moved but no alarm. at first I thought it was something minor. Anyways, I got Toyota techstream and installed. I guess there is a way to enable alarm and I tried doing that. But it's blank no options and the anti theft system has a * which means not available. I can open other options though. Just security

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How are you unlocking or opening the door when you test this?

5. Fernando12355

Fernando12355 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well I turn my windows down and I lock the car with the remote key. I wait a minute or so and I place my keys like 10yards away cover in some foil that I used before. And I even tested the key by pressing buttons to make sure that my car is not able to sense the key. Then after a minute or so, I unlock the door manually from inside and open the door with the handle from inside and no alarms

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You probably need to contact the company that made the aftermarket alarm.
    Many of them are not intended to interface with the car for audible alerts and have their own horn.

7. Fernando12355

Fernando12355 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I appreciate the response and feedback. But I don't think that's the issue. Since the Alarm was not working well before I installed the aftermarket system. It is a salvaged vehicle. So I wonder if perhaps somebody disconnected something purposely. I just don't know where to look or what to look for since there are no videos or really any significant references perhaps for the security anti theft ECU or location

8. Fernando12355

Fernando12355 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I am DIY guy I can take this car apart. But I don't want to look for it everywhere when may be it's far easy to figure out my issues if somebody may point me in the right direction. Looks like techstream cannot connect to it so May be the ECU is not responding. Has anybody messed with their 3rd gen security system with techstream?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, that seems like a malfunction. My Gen 3 with the basic stock alarm system, no aftermarket changes, would alarm in that scenario.

Do you have access to your repair manual and wiring diagram (more info)?

10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    “Q: Did it ever work as you think it should?

A: No, it has not.”

No, it has not.”

In that case, I would suggest that it should be considered a completely separate aftermarket system for troubleshooting purposes.

11. Fernando12355

Fernando12355 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't have access. I was hoping may be someone had a similar issue and could share their knowledge or info to point me on the right direction as to what could it be or where could it be located

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the problem is 'salvage vehicle'. wiring could be an issue somewhere, not likely something anyone else has experienced in the same way/place

13. Fernando12355

Fernando12355 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well yeah I know that a salvaged vehicle can mean a lot of things. But a bad ECU still a bad ECU. A bad ground still a bad ground. I just don't know where things are. That is what I was curious about. But so far doesn't seem like nobody knows where the components to the Anti theft system are

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a bad ecu should throw a code i would imagine, and even faulty wiring in many cases.

google might help find a wiring schematic if available, otherwise, you need 'techinfo.toyota.com'

15. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It certainly doesn't come up very often........if at all.
    And details like that aren't usually widely published in an attempt to keep the information out of the hands of thieves.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This sounds, offhand, like it falls in that category of "issues that don't arise in a typical Prius under normal conditions". In other words, issues that are probably secondary to the car getting modified in some way—whether that was by someone's deliberate rewiring, or occurred in a crash or some kind of rodent or environmental damage or the subsequent repair.

The thing about issues in that category is that you often don't get a lot of people chiming in with "oh yeah, that exact thing happened to mine" because it probably didn't. Those weird issues that are secondary to something weird that was done to the car come in as many flavors as there are weird things that happen to cars.

That doesn't mean they have to be hard to troubleshoot. You just need to fix yourself up with a meter and the wiring diagram and start working it down.

Thinking about the typical odds can help here. ECUs are solid state with no moving parts, and they fail a tiny bit more often than rocks do, but not by much. In pretty much any of the troubleshooting sequences you find in the repair manual, "ok, must be the ECU then" is the step that comes after ruling out every other possibility. In most cases it's perfectly reasonable to start by asking the ECU what it thinks is going on; what it tells you will usually be useful even when it's not the whole story.

I've been through nightmarish bad-grounds problems in older vehicles (often beginning when the body sheet metal serving as ground was severely rusted away). A Prius has a lot of ground points though, at different spots on the body and bridged by wires in the wire harness; it's a fairly redundant setup.

If this car were mine, I would probably start with the wiring diagram and carefully compare what's in the car to it, and see if I could spot any differences that could be the results of aftermarket alarm installation, or of salvage-vehicle repairs.

The great thing about knowing where the wiring diagram is is that you've got the "I wonder where the components to X are" question covered no matter what X is, and it saves you having to walk around with 400 pages of diagram somehow committed to memory.

This wiki page that Elektroingenieur put in the work to compile will show you a lot of the ways that you have access to the repair manuals and wiring diagram.