1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seeking a Class Action Lawsuit Lawyer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Driver-72, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Driver-72

Driver-72 New Member

Thank you.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I think you got some bad information. I really don't think the stickers are limited to people buying their cars in 2006. Where did you hear this? The bill is called AB 2600 - I don't see anything to that effect.

Here is the text of the bill.

On the other hand, they may have run out of stickers, which would be a different thing.

...Looking in a different thread, the latter appears to be the case: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=29274&hl=HOV

Sit tight and hope for additional stickers. I doubt you'd get anywhere with a class action lawsuit. Enjoy the cheap fill-ups.

3. dylandog

dylandog New Member

Sorry you got bad information, I know that dealing with the DMV can be aggravating at best. As a purchaser of a 2007 Prius in January (Jan 6, 2007 to be exact), I was lucky enough to get HOV stickers at the very tail-end of the extended program. When purchasing the car, I knew that it would be a gamble getting the stickers. Looking into the information on this site as well as a phone call to the DMV made me very aware that the numbers were dwindling fast. I was never led to believe that the new allotment of 10,000 decals were reserved for 2006 purchases only. I had heard that overflow applications from 2006 would get their decals, followed by the 2007 applications. Depending on when you sent out the application.. you could still get decals. If your check was cashed, then you should get decals. I had to resend my app (after a dealer error) on Jan 20th, my check cashed on Jan 31st. It's a bummer about the info, but I don't know if that will be enough grounds for a class-action lawsuit. Anybody else have any idea? :huh:

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why did you wait so long to buy a Prius?

You could have bought a used Prius with stickers already on it.

The information you got at the time you bought your car was correct. I don't think you're going to find a lawyer to take this case. I think you should wait and keep posted on any legislation that might add another 10,000 stickers at some point. It may happen.

You might get lucky. Yours might be one of the applications that still made it in under the wire. It was first come and you might be in front of the other 700 that aren't getting theirs.

All of the information you got was correct. The DMV isn't going to tell you how many applications from 2006 they were holding waiting for the Jan. 1 release date for the additional 10,000. I don't think the applications they were holding added up to 10,000. They probably still aren't sure.

I'd like to know if they're counting the illegal HOV stickers that have been found on cars that do NOT qualify. Like hybrid SUVs.

What *I* did was get personalized plates. I applied for them a day or two after I bought the car on the DMV online system. As soon as my personalized plate was approved, I submitted the paperwork for the stickers. That way, I could apply for the sticker before any of my plates arrived by using my VIN number and my personalized plate. Of course, that was back in 2005.

You may have bought the car for the stickers but you'll find that with an 80-100 mile commute every day, you'll like the car for the mileage. Your last car didn't get 45-50 mpg.

Or you can sell your brand new Prius (at a slight depreciation) and buy a used Prius that already has stickers on it.

Of course, if you then find out you made the cut and your stickers arrive in the mail...ce la vie.

5. Driver-72

Driver-72 New Member

6. iiwi

iiwi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Driver-72 @ Feb 5 2007, 06:45 PM) [snapback]385851[/snapback]</div>

I checked the DMV website today. It was obviously written before January 1, 2007. I don't see anywhere on the website that the stickers are still available. It says that you can apply for the stickers.

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

The DMV couldn't have set a date for the sticker deadline. That's not how the law was written.

As I read your description, they didn't lie about anything. Unless I missed something, at the time they said they were issuing stickers, they were. Where's the lie?

Good luck finding a lawyer that will take this case!

8. nicoss

nicoss New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Driver-72 @ Feb 5 2007, 08:30 PM) [snapback]385899[/snapback]</div>
    Please do everybody a favor and:
    A) Sell this slow, boring and uneventful car.
    B) If you wish find a lawyer to recover the difference from the purchase price.
    C) Calm down and enjoy your life.

9. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I think California law allows a three-day reconsideratoin period when buying a new car. You are past that, but you might convince the dealer to nix the deal based on their misrepresentation. if you hurry.

10. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Driver-72 @ Feb 5 2007, 09:45 PM) [snapback]385851[/snapback]</div>
    Travesty. I don't think it means what you think it means. But I do agree there is a travesty going on here.

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, I've got a 2005 Black package #1 with HOV stickers.

I'll trade you even.

12. dylandog

dylandog New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Feb 5 2007, 09:28 PM) [snapback]385921[/snapback]</div>
    There is a "no Cooling-off Period" here in California. Once you sign the contract, there is no going back :(

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Driver-72 @ Feb 5 2007, 08:30 PM) [snapback]385899[/snapback]</div>
    I've got an idea for you. Since your Prius purchase was SOLELY for time savings and sanity . . . I can save you both!

Why add the extra time and associated insanity of a class action lawsuit to your hectic life? Why not consider trading Prii with me! :)

Mine comes with brand new, never used California HOV Access stickers . . . in fact, they are still sitting in my file cabinet.

But, before I jump at the chance to save you time and frustration during the next several years of your commute . . .
    I need to know a little more about your Prius:
    1) Did you pay cash? No outstanding loan?
    2) What color is it?
    3) What exactly is an "S Touring" model?
    4) Most important: Does it have Vehicle Stability Control? I will never own another car without VSC. <_<

Since your Prius purchase was SOLELY for time savings . . . how much is your time truly worth? Maybe at least the difference in value between your new Prii and my 2005 which is still under warranty, has one day old Michelin X tires, and oil changed at the dealer every 5,000 miles with nothing except Mobil-1 synthetic? [of course the truth in advertising part is that there is only about 5,000 miles left on the 36,000 mile warranty, and only two of the tires are one day old . . . the others are a couple of months old.]

By the time January 1, 2011 rolls around . . . what will be the price difference between a used 2005 and a used 2007 Prii???? I think very little . . . but you will still have your sanity. :D

I will drive to LA to make the exchange and even save you that time. And if by chance you are in show business or could use the exposure, I'm sure the local news media would love this story! Free publicity!!!!

Think about it during your commutes the next few days. :D

Remember, Your time is worth something - but your sanity is worth more.

[Of course, if a better offer come along, I just may have to take it . . . so don't wait too long to make your decision . . . again. ;) ]

[EDIT: DANG IT GODIVA . . . YOU BEAT ME TO IT! That's what happens when someone waits too long or composes a novel :lol: :( ]

14. Joe Bernard

Joe Bernard New Member

The HOV sticker situation has been covered extensively here. You make no mention of PC as part of your knowledge base before you bought the car. When I purchased my car in Nov., it was clear that a limited number of stickers were going to be left up for grabs. I bought the car knowing that stickers were not gauranteed. Why would you rely solely on the DMV and the dealership for information? It didn't occur to you to search Prius forums, too? Before you get too crazy and trade your full-zoot Prius for a used one with stickers, you might want to see what happens with your 8 bucks. If they cash it you might still get your stickers although, frankly, with your litigous attitude and disdain for the environmental benefits of your slow and boring car, I don't think you deserve them. Does that seem harsh? Well, coming to a Prius board and calling our little technological marvel slow and boring seemed kind of harsh to me.

15. duanelaugh

duanelaugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nicos @ Feb 6 2007, 12:10 AM) [snapback]385914[/snapback]</div>
    AMEN!!!

16. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Feb 6 2007, 01:29 AM) [snapback]385939[/snapback]</div>
    Good one Godiva! (oh and Sufferin' Prius too)

17. New Revelation

New Revelation The Master Captain

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think that is crazy....all of that for a darn sticker. Why waste your time buying a good car just to save a few minutes of traffic each day? There are many other benefits to having that car besides HOV use. Seems to me that you bought the car for the WRONG reasons. And based on the sue-happy attitude that you are displaying, I don't believe you deserve the stickers.

A piece of sticky paper isn't that important to where you would have spent $31K on a awesome piece of technology like that. That's just plain crazy.

I seriously doubt you will find any lawyer to take that case.

18. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Feb 6 2007, 02:55 AM) [snapback]385950[/snapback]</div>
    I have to agree here...if your time is THAT valuable, i would think the time spent wasted finding a lawyer, going through countless depositions, etc., would be worth the approx. $4000 you may be losing if you turned around and sold your Prius right now as "used."

I think the solution that SPE or Godiva offer would work out to both of your advantages!

And, btw, it's pretty stupid of you (and shows a certain lack of character) to come on a PRIUS forum and call the car slow and boring and expect ANY sympathy. Slow, I'll accept, but boring? You've gotta be effin' kiddin' me! A car doesn't need a V12 to be exciting. I still feel like Judy Jetson every time I drive that little doorstop o' mine.

19. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

I'd sell the Prius and buy a motorcycle with a trunk and saddle bags such as a Honda GoldWing or BMW K1200LT. This way you can carry just about anything you need (strapped to the back seat if necessary). You can also buy cargo trailers to pull behind if you need more storage space. It's fun and it's my other toy that I use a lot.

You get to use any HOV lanes, get around 40 to 50 mpg, get to use special motorcycle parking in lots of places, and pay less than half for parking in most parking garages (at least in Seattle). In California you also get to lane split if traffic is going less than 25 mph so you don't have to be stuck in traffic if there is a traffic jam.

20. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In Maryland its hard to sue the state even if you are right. I can imagine that right or wrong it would cost far more money then you could recover to sue CA. It would also take a ton of your time.