1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seeking a Class Action Lawsuit Lawyer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Driver-72, Feb 5, 2007.

1. gdogg23

gdogg23 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Feb 6 2007, 01:14 PM) [snapback]386273[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. I appreciate the condolences on our situation.

I did do the research on everything, however, but still felt like we would have a pretty good shot at getting the stickers. The problem that seems to have arisen is that the "rules" weren't being applied uniformly. For some, they were able to apply without the completed application. For others, like my wife and I, we were not extended this same benefit. I made it clear to the dealer that I wanted the plates ASAP, but was told "the DMV tells us to tell everyone it takes about 2-5 weeks, but it never takes that long." It took almost 6 weeks for us.

What do you mean if you "pay cash", then you could get them in 3 days? The registration was included in our purchase price of the car, which was then forwarded to the DMV. How were you able to get it sooner?

And, yes, I can attest to the commute. I make the drive to downtown L.A. every day and it pretty much sucks.

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry if my earlier responses came off as uncaring.

But...it does seem to me that this program is an incentive, not a guarantee.

And telling the dealer "I want my plates ASAP" isn't really going to do anything, either, as you've discovered. For the life of me, I can't understand why you'd just take their word on this. (I wish we *could,* but the reality of it is that most of us know that you simply can't). I mean, they're funneling you towards signing the contract and buying the car, and everyone at every step is saying, "yeah, sure...it's gonna be fine..."

That's a big warning flag, right there.

I think their ballpark figure of how long it takes to get new plates in accurate. But the "...it almost never takes that long" sounds like dealer-ese for "we REALLY want you to buy this car NOW."

I can only speak for myself: my application was rejected twice for incomplete information (once 'cause I appled before a plate number had been issued for my car, the second 'cause I didn't have the appropriate FasTrak transponder). In both cases, accurate documentation was included, along with exact instructions on how to proceed.

I'm sorry that you're experiencing this hassle, but it does seem to me that you had multiple opportunities to prevent this from happening...chose to hear what you wanted to hear...and then, proceeded.

Oh well, you still ended up with a great car! And the stickers are ugly besides.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LB07Touring @ Feb 6 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]386335[/snapback]</div>
    In case it wasn't clear, what I meant was that I got the plates in 3 days. Maybe it's a dealer-specific thing. At first I paid with a check. They told me they would have to wait a few weeks for the check to clear before they could issue the plates. So I told them not to cash the check, and then went to the bank and came back with cash. So they issued the plates right away - and it took 3 days to get the plate numbers, which they called and told me over the phone. I still had to mail in the application, and got the stickers a couple weeks later.

4. gdogg23

gdogg23 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Feb 6 2007, 02:41 PM) [snapback]386347[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry, but is this a response to me?

If it is a response to me, then...first off, this program shouldn't just seem like it is an incentive and not a guarantee to you, it actually IS an incentive and not a guarantee. That's irrelevant, however.

I had ALREADY bought the car. The stickers were in no way a "funnel" to purchase the car. I was speaking to the finance guy as he was completing the paperwork. The contract was signed already.

What "word" of the dealer's did I take on this? I asked numerous people at the dealer what it would take to get the stickers. I called the DMV to find out what to do. I came to this very forum to find out what to do. I asked friends of mine with Prii what to do and if you had to wait for the plates. The "word" was pretty much the same. Print out the application and mail it in even if I didn't have the plate number. The only difference was that the DMV told me I'd need the plate number. I mailed it anyway. This was of no consequence because they mailed it back to me in about 4 days and I had to wait an additional 5 weeks to get the plates and mail the application back.

"(I wish we *could,* but the reality of it is that most of us know that you simply can't)."

What does this mean? I'm seriously confused by what you are saying here. You wish we *could* what? The reality is that you simply can't what? If you are saying that you wish we could get the plates earlier, but that you can't, then either you or I have been misled because I have read post after post on this forum where Prii owners have stated they got their plates immediately or within days. If you are saying that you wish we could take the "dealer's word on this," then I have no idea what you are talking about because I didn't take the dealer's word on anything.

"I'm sorry that you're experiencing this hassle, but it does seem to me that you had multiple opportunities to prevent this from happening...chose to hear what you wanted to hear...and then, proceeded."

In what way could I have prevented this from happening? On top of that, in what way did I have "multiple opportunities" to prevent this from happening? I bought my car in mid-December. I followed all instructions to a T. I tried getting the plates earlier, and it didn't work. I'm now not going to get the stickers while people who bought the car 6 weeks after I did have gotten their stickers.

And...how did I choose to hear what I wanted to hear? What I wanted to hear was, "ok, sir, we've assigned you plate number XXXXXXX. Please enter that on the line at the top left of the application and mail it in." Or, something else. I wanted to hear lots of things other than "it will take about 2-5 weeks to get the plates."

I also didn't hear what I wanted to hear and then proceed. I had already signed the contract before I even inquired about the stickers because I didn't think they had anything to do with them, which they don't as far as I can tell.

I'm honestly not sure where you are coming from in the majority of your post above. Perhaps you confused me with the poster who started this thread?

If this response wasn't to me and you just quoted me throughout your post on accident, then I apologize in advance for all of the above.

5. Jimm

Jimm New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Feb 6 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]386352[/snapback]</div>
    I was told the same by my dealer, that if I paid by cashier's check I could get my plates sooner. So I did and they were able to get them the next day. I applied immediately and got my stickers exactly two weeks after I bought the car. That said, I knew from reading this forum that I stood only a so-so chance of getting the stickers and that I shouldn't buy the car expecting to get them.

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LB07Touring @ Feb 6 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]386264[/snapback]</div>
    It has been a full 3+ years since I bought my '04 Prius (at the end of '03), and got my stickers, my dealer made a point of telling me that a person from the dealership went twice a week directly to the DMV to (register?) and get plates for new cars they sold during that period. I thought this was quite a 'service'. The plates were mailed directly to me very quickly. Now the dealer is not allowed to perform this service by dictate of DMV, but they still mail all required paperwork to DMV for their purchasers. Sounds like perhaps you guys need to beat up on your dealers for taking your money but not giving any 'service' after getting the check, especially since the issue was 'time sensitive'.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LB07Touring @ Feb 6 2007, 06:01 PM) [snapback]386363[/snapback]</div>
    Oooooooops, I made a mistake!

Yes, I intended to reply to the OP. My apologies.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Driver-72,

As long as you are going to sue the state, sue to remove the HOV lanes. Your taxes paid for the pavement so you should have a right to drive on it. I'm surprised no one recommended going to consumeraffairs.com. Personally I think the state whimped out on this one. (I can take such an attitude because we don't have HOV lanes where I drive.) HOV lanes should be for HOV use.

For the record, if your current vehicle is stuck in traffic then the Prius next to you is just as fast and getting 50mpg.

With your attitude don't expect a lot of sympathy when you get your next earthquake, mudslide, firestorm, or riot. (Then you can sue FEMA for not doing anything for you.)

9. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, how often in life have people just missed out on a good thing by being one minute late. Alas, that is the case here. I feel sorry this new owner wasted (apparently) his money on a brand new '07 only to be told "sorry no stickers for you". This is just an example of not striking when the iron is hot and cryingover it later. I see no misrepresentation by anyone at the dealership or DMV. They gave the best information they had as they had it.
    As for the one comment about all the illegal stickers out there, I have yet to see one and I look all the time. Don't worry about those cars/suv's they will get caught soon enough.
    Apparently I am going to have to keep my stickered Prius until the program terminates in 2011 or if/until DMV say they are going to authorize another batch of stickers. I like my stickers and do not want to be without them. When I need the commute lane it saves me a ton of time. DISCLAIMER: I have no idea if DMV ever plans to do another sticker release!

10. gdogg23

gdogg23 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Feb 6 2007, 05:11 PM) [snapback]386442[/snapback]</div>
    No problem! Mistakes happen.

11. bugmenot

bugmenot New Member

I was in a similar situation. I bought my car on the 13th of January. The dealer said prior to buying the car, "There's at least a two month supply of stickers...blah...blah...blah..."

I read the threads on this forum and knew my chances were getting precarious. I bugged the heck out of my dealer (I fiananced the car mind you...) and got the plate # on the 24th. I then sent in my app via next day air.

Today, I checked with the bank and the DMV. My check cleared and I will be issued stickers. Whew!

Even if I missed getting the stickers, the fault lies with me. Sure the dealer gave me wrong info, but there is no way in hell I would win a court case or want to waste my time filing a complaint. Just read all that paperwork you signed. Somewhere in there is a caveat about oral promises!

I drive 7 miles to work and don't even need the stickers. It was an incentive and a safety factor in case I moved. Bottom line: If the stickers were THAT important to you then DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE before plunking down 30k.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Got the job on the 8th, Monday,(didn't know what the commute was going to be before that?)but waited a week to start looking. Decided to buy after two weeks of commuting, Friday Jan 19th? Waited until the 27th to buy the car. Then didn't follow the instructions (remember the DMV is not only a government agency but if my recent visit to get a replacement driver's license is any indication is one of the most wasteful, inefficent and bloated departments in the state) so had to redo and resend the application after the plate arrives a week later on Friday, Feb. 2.

And doesn't know if he's missed the cutoff or not. Could be the check will be cashed and those stickers will arrive in the mail in another week or two.

So all of this B&M could be for nothing.

Now I bought my car in April of 2005 anticipating a change in my work location the following September. I bought the car the same day I test drove it. I applied for a personalized plate online with my VIN number about 24 hours later. I received confirmation within 24 hours. I then sent in the application. I got my stickers before I got my personalized plates.

It could have been done. You can't sue because you dragged your feet.

2005 Black #1 with ivory interior and BT stiffening plate already installed. I will even throw in the seat covers, leather from Priushoods and the little trashcan that sits on the hump. I can drive it up to L.A. too. I don't mind the commute....I drive a Prius.

13. nicoss

nicoss New Member

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have beaten this to beyond door nail status.

Respectfully I remind some of the OP statements:

14. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nicos @ Feb 7 2007, 12:52 AM) [snapback]386587[/snapback]</div>
    The thing that struck me as funny about this thread (well, one of...) is that several posters claimed to be chagrined that a car dealer representative lied to them!

15. Prius07Pkg4

Prius07Pkg4 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bugmenot @ Feb 6 2007, 08:06 PM) [snapback]386544[/snapback]</div>
    GOOD ATTITUDE.

16. Prius07Pkg4

Prius07Pkg4 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Driver-72 @ Feb 5 2007, 08:30 PM) [snapback]385899[/snapback]</div>

Sorry to hear your story!

-If you only need the car with sticker that bad, you could buy a used one with sticker.

-Exchange your non HOV Stickers car with 05 Prius with HOV Stickers (someone offers for your just do it and move on).

-I don't know why spend 31K for the car that you don't like, you could spend 24K out of the door for a new 07 Prius with package 2 (also without HOV Stickers).

-I heard that you can get looks alike HOV sticker in ebay (it's stamped with "ACCESS DENIED" or something like that; but I do not think people can see the words while driving).

-Well, if you choose to fight with the lawsuit, let us know how it goes (I can bet 10 Cents for a Dollar).

I wish you luck with your lawsuit.

Attached Files:

17. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oh yeah, and to you I would say "Oh Boo Hoo Sniffle Sniffle".

Geez, this is so what Americans are all about.

THEY DIDN'T GIVE ME MY STICKER WHEN THEY _SAID_ I COULD HAVE ONE, WAAAAHHH!

I mean, can you hear this coming from the mouth of a pre-schooler? I can.

So to the original poster, hey! SOUR GRAPES! Ya know what, sometimes life just doesn't work out like you wanted it to.

So I understand your solution is TO CALL YOUR LAWYER?

Oh I see.

You are the kind of person who would run to the playground teacher every time YOU thought YOUR recess wasn't going the way YOU thought it should go.

God people like you make me SICK.

Travel to a foreign country and live there for a while. Then come back here and you'll realize how lucky we all are, STICKER OR NOT.

-Dave (no sticker on my car, and no problem)

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    LOL, this OP is a peice of work. What an ego on him...

19. gdogg23

gdogg23 New Member

Well, my story is above, but just an update...

The DMV cashed my check. So, assuming this means what everyone thinks it means, then things might look good for us!

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Feb 6 2007, 09:32 PM) [snapback]386465[/snapback]</div>
    Yea! And while were at it ... I'm gona sue to drive my Prius ALL over Area 51 ... my tax dollers paid for that sand pile and the secret UFO hangers all around there, too :rolleyes: