1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seeking Advice for Upgrading Audio System in 2010 Prius: Power, Tweeter Placement, Connections

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Wums, May 15, 2023.

1. Wums

Wums New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey PriusChat enthusiasts,

I hope you're all doing well! I recently undertook the exciting task of upgrading the audio system in my 2010 Toyota Prius. While I've made significant progress, I've encountered a few challenges and have some important questions that I hope the knowledgeable members of this community can assist me with.

Here's a comprehensive breakdown of my situation and the current challenges I'm facing:

1. Power and Connection Issues: To start, I successfully installed the Kenwood KFC-6995PS 6x9 inch speakers in the front doors, and they sound fantastic. However, I'm currently experiencing an issue with my head unit. Despite making most of the connections, the head unit won't power on. I suspect that better crimping of the connections and a thorough check-up are required. Any insights or tips to troubleshoot this issue would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tweeter Placement: I recently acquired the Kenwood KFC-P509PS 5.25 inch speakers for the rear doors, which come with attached 1" soft dome tweeters. Here's some additional information on these speakers:
    • Speaker Size: 5.25 inches
    • Design: 2-way
    • Tweeter Design: 1" Dome
    • Impedance: 4 Ohms
    • Woofer Composition: Poly
    • Woofer Surround: Rubber
    • Sensitivity: 86 dB
    • Frequency Response: 63 - 24k Hz
    • Peak Power Handling: 240 Watts

Now, the pressing question is: Where is the optimal placement for these attached tweeters? Considering that I intend to mount the speakers in the 6.5 inch OEM bracket in the rear doors, I'm seeking advice on how to position the tweeters for the best sound quality and a clean installation. I would appreciate any input or experiences from those who have successfully installed similar setups. Specifically, I'm interested in the ideal mounting depth, height, and cutout diameter for the tweeters in this configuration.

3. Connection to OEM Bracket: Furthermore, I would like to know how I can effectively connect the Kenwood KFC-P509PS 5.25 inch speakers to the 6.5 inch OEM bracket in the rear doors. If anyone has insights or recommendations on adapting the speaker size, utilizing mounting adapters, or any other modifications necessary for a seamless installation, please share your expertise.

In addition to the questions mentioned above, I'm still actively troubleshooting the power issue with my head unit. As mentioned earlier, it seems to be related to the crimp connections, but any guidance to ensure a solid power connection would be immensely helpful. I am having larger wires connect to smaller ones and I have read the Toyota manual on connecting them.

Thank you all in advance for your expertise and support. I truly value your insights and experiences, and I eagerly await your guidance to overcome these challenges and create an exceptional audio system upgrade in my beloved Prius!

Best regards,
    Wums

2. Khawailad

Khawailad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you figure it out?
    I avoid cutting into factory wires and use harness adapters wherever possible