1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seeking advice on used Prius purchase

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by JB03, Nov 29, 2017.

1. JB03

JB03 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello - I'm in the market for a used Prius and am seeking insights on what to target.

Was there was a significant upgrade making any particular Gen 3 year better than another? Relatedly, is a newer Prius with more miles better than an older Prius with less miles?

Some of the factors at play:

* Budget approx. $10K
    * Live in California
    * To be used for standard commute / city driving
    * Looking to keep the car for 5-7 years after purchase
    * Have a newborn and may have another kid in a couple years

Any advice/article links etc. are much appreciated.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No. There was a mid-model refresh as Toyota always does for the MY2012 Prii. The bumpers and headlights look a little different, just like what they did in MY2006 to differentiate from the MY2004-2005. Also in 2012 they added the stupid vehicle proximity warning. Basically it makes your silent EV sound like a clown car at slow speeds so that people can hear it better.

There was a recall for brake software on some of the very first Gen3's, the MY2010's. But those should have all been fixed, or will be a free recall at a Toyota dealer. It is just a software update, not a hardware swap.

As always, it depends. A newer Prius that was used as a taxi will have lots of wear on everything versus the older Prius that was only driven to the store once a week. The batteries don't like to sit. So a super low mileage Prius, like a 30k mile 2010 is a bad choice relative to a more normally driven 2010.

As with any car, if your budget is $10k all-in for a used car, put like 20% of that in a savings account if you don't otherwise have that for the unexpected repair. As with any modern car, including but not limited to the Prius, almost every repair is a few hundred dollars and things like ECUs will be thousands of dollars. We are no longer in the days of fixing a car with a paperclip and some bubble gum.

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A newer car with more miles is infinitely better than an older car with fewer miles, Prius or not. The reason is to two fold.

1. The newer vehicle likely had a lot of freeway miles to achieve high miles. Freeway miles are less wear and tear in general than local miles
    2. Newer car has new tech and/or more options.

For example, i'd recommend you get a 2012 Prius 2. Toyota added LED DRL. The center console got revised for two cup holders. All cars get the 6.1 inch infotainment screen. If you can find a 2013, you'd get a backup camera as well. These two things were available only on higher trims in previous years.

We fit three children in car seats rear facing with no issue with their gear for week long trips to San Diego.

Finding a 2012 or 2013 will be difficult for 10k. Personally I like the spaced ship sound on 2012 models. Too many distracted pedestrians as it is.

#3 mmmodem, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    RMB, Raytheeagle and paprius4030 like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    one thing to keep in mind is oil burning. some 2010's are burning oil or have bad head gaskets around 100,000 miles, and a few 2011's. we don't know if newer models have a better design, or if it's accumulated mileage.

5. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How many miles do you plan to drive a year? If your budget is 10K max and you plan on driving less than 15K a year then a Prius is not your best choice. There are newer cars out there that can approach or exceed 40 MPG. Of course, at the end of the day the choice is yours. Good luck with your car search.;)