1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seeking Hybrid battery experience; new vs reconditioned

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DaviDino, Aug 11, 2020.

1. DaviDino

DaviDino Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please explain your experience (good & bad) if you have revived your Gen2 Prius with either a brand new (dealer or NewPriusBatteries) or reconditioned battery (Dorman, Electron Automotive, Green Bean, etc.) or replacement cells. What is your recommendation and why?

Of special concern: Have you sought Warranty replacement due to subsequent failure? How satisfied are you with how your warranty claim was handled?

THANKS in advance for your contribution to this Thread!!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good, Fast, Cheap: You Can Only Pick Two!

[​IMG]

If you buy a "new" battery you shouldn't have to worry about the warranty for many years.

edthefox5, Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  3. LaCajun 25

LaCajun 25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got a refurb battery the first time my battery threw the codes and got the red triangle. It lasted just over two years before I got the codes and red triangle again.

It probably was already on its last legs before the 2 yr warranty was up but Covid kept me from driving so I didn’t realize it. If it war still under warranty I believe I would’ve gotten a replacement without issue. Since I was out of warranty they only offered $100 off any additional service

I went with Newpriusbattery option. It was cheaper than new oem but I have to do the work myself. It’s not too bad, just a lot of steps involved and the instructions from NPB could be better. If you go this route, watch a lot of YouTube videos to familiarize yourself with what needs to be done. Take lots of pictures and make notes so you know what the parts are that you’re taking off. Taking things apart isn’t so hard, it’s the putting it back together that is hard, especially if you go slow or have to do it over a few days because of limited time.

iPhone ?

edthefox5, SFO and DaviDino like this.