1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seeking Prius DTC Code Wisdom

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ChubbySnuggles, Apr 1, 2019.

1. ChubbySnuggles

ChubbySnuggles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good Day! I've recently purchased a very used 2014 prius. It has 147K miles on it, but more dents and scratches than my 2002 Prius with 370K miles that I just got rid of. (My other car is an 07 Prius with 301K miles).

I have a few issues with the my new used Prius. I enjoy learning and troubleshooting things myself rather than paying overblown prices for someone else to play "guess and check". When I purchased the car, it was made clear that the temperature control was not working. I have checked the fuses and they all appear to be good.

I created an account with toyota and found he service history of the car. They noted that a previous owner reported the issue and their recommendation was to replace the Air Conditioner Control Assembly. The owner declined at that time. I purchased one from ebay and replaced it, but it still has no life. When I press the "temp" buttons on my steering wheel, my dash display says "temp", but there are no readings. If I press any buttons on my temp control unit, they don't do anything. I cannot adjust the temp and the blower never attempts to turn on. The little green lights on the buttons never light up and the display on the module does nothing. HOWEVER, the words on the module are lit along with everything else when the car senses it is dark out, so that would indicate that some power is reaching the control assembly.

Additionally, I have a check engine light with the following codes present:
    P0102 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
    P0031 - Oxygen (A/F) Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
    P0141 - Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
    P0403 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit
    P101D - A/F Sensor Heater Circuit Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1 Stuck ON

How likely is it that these are all unrelated issues that need addressed? Or is it likely that the problem is a computer module or wiring? I'm scouring the google, these forums, and all the documentation I can find. I may end up paying a dealership to fix the issue, but even if I do, I want to walk in knowing what needs done. If possible, I'd prefer to do it myself and learn more about my Prius as I go.

Anyway, thanks for all the help that you guys give on this forum. I've used it for years to research issues with my older ones.

2. ChubbySnuggles

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've been looking at the videos to clean the EGR. I'm thinking that's where I need to start as far as the codes go.... But the temperature control unit is a major concern. It's much more than I thought it would be when I purchased the car. I had not thought about the importance of the defrost / defog. We've hit a few cold days here lately and driving the car is risky without it.... So, any tips on that in particular would be much appreciated!

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:
    • What’s the 12volt resting voltage?
    • What’s the history of the car, any accidents or damage?
    • How many miles have you put on your Prius?
    • Do you know if the car consumes any oil?
    Good luck and keep us posted (y).

4. ChubbySnuggles

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for responding!

Resting Voltage: 12.69

History: I just purchased it 3-25-19, and the person I purchased it from did not know the history. It has not been taken care of very well and has a lot of dents and scratches on the driver's side and top of the car. I don't see any evidence of any major damage and there isn't any mention of it in the toyota service history.

Miles: It has about 148K miles on it. I've put a few hundred of those on it since I bought it last week.

Oil consumption: I haven't had enough time to know yet.

When I cycle through the display, my temp screen is blank. This is my primary concern as i think it may be why my temp control panel is not working. My theory (largely created in ignorance) is that it doesn't know what to do, since it's not able to tell if the car is hot or cold... I'm attaching a picture for clarification. 20190402_125918.jpg

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The control panel probably gets power for the nighttime illumination and power for its other functions from different circuits. Do you have a multimeter, and have access to the wiring diagram for the pinout of the connector to the module?

6. ChubbySnuggles

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, I spent last night dismantling the HV battery of my 2007 prius.

I do have access to a multimeter and the wiring diagram. Hopefully I'll have time to dig into this tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know as soon as I complete the next step and have something to report.

Thanks

Raytheeagle likes this.
  7. B Baker

B Baker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2010 Prius 3 had 3 codes, P0031, P0102 and P0403. I took it to my local garage and they found that a Fuse was blown and all 3 sensors are on the same fuse. They felt is was short somewhere and recommended taking it to the dealer. I took it to the Dealer yesterday and they found that one of the Bank 1 Sensor 2 - O2 Sensor wiring was causing the Short, as it was hanging very close or against the Heatshield. They replaced the O2 Sensor and secured the wiring away from the Heatshield and it only cost $500, LOL, but not laughing.

8. sparky12

sparky12 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Do you know what fuse they replaced? I have exactly the same issue but I think the short was in the mass airflow sensor wiring rubbing on the engine. Trying to find which fuse it was...

Ok, I'm going to answer my own question....the fuse box with the fuse is on the driver's (US) side inside the engine compartment. It is fuse #21 which is for EFI #2 and is a 10amp mini red. I replaced the fuse and the CEL went out.

My Bluedriver scanner showed that the MAF was operational. I'm assuming that the EGR and O2 sensors went back to normal as well.

#8 sparky12, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    SFO likes this.