1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seeking Prius Test Drive Tips

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Suburban600, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Suburban600

Suburban600 New Member

I've read through a couple of threads and have decided to rent a new Prius next weekend to see how I like the car. I'll be driving the car about 500 miles in a mixture of rural, city and highway driving.

I'm a 6'3.5" 240 pound guy. I plan to be driving about 2200 miles per month between my places in VA and NC. Besides fuel economy one of my primary requirements is comfort.

What kinds of things do I need to make sure I try during the test drive? What options do you recommend?

Thanks,
    Suburban600
    Buy Land, Plant Trees, Enjoy Life
    www.oldtramroadfarm.com

2. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think your variety of driving choices listed above should just about cover it all.

Bring a couple CDs that you know and love - see if the speakers are what you want to listen to.

Note the gas mileage when you finish your trip. Compare it to whatever you currently are driving, taken over the same 500 mile course; try to compare apples to apples.

Yep, it's ten or more hours behind the wheel. If it isn't comfortable for you, then don't buy the Prius, no matter how much you may like the rest of it.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, I agree. Just enjoy the car.
    This is a test drive. Any attempt to moximize mileage or use driving techniques is not warranted. Just test out the car.
    • Have fun
    • Accelerate
    • Coast
    • Use the Auto A/C
    • Take turns sitting in the back
    • Fold the seats
    • Haul stuff
    • Have fun

4. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Suburban600 @ Jul 15 2006, 07:41 PM) [snapback]286933[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with Walt. No matter how great the car is if you are uncomfortable it is not for you. I weigh more than you but I am much shorter. Most people over 6'2" have said that they have trouble with the rear view mirror being in the line of sight. My wife is almost six feet and she says she has had this trouble with everycar she has owned. She claims that noting in this world is made for tall people! :rolleyes:

marjam

5. Suburban600

Suburban600 New Member

I'll try flipping the rear view mirror over as recommended in a couple of posts. As for the wife factor...sneeking suspicion that I'll get the old car and the Prius will be comadeered by my superiors.

She says it is cute! That's usally a warning sign. :unsure:

Also read some info on drivers seat reposition, custom seats and lumbar support. Any updates?

Thanks for the help!

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Learn to “Glide†(A driving technique utilized by more advanced Prius drivers to achieve higher gas mileage).

Used while the car is in motion and additional assist from the electric motor or gas engine is no longer needed to maintain optimum speed - such as when decelerating or on a downhill slope and the induced fake engine drag (actually regeneration) is causing the car to slow more than optimal.

To induce “Glide,†barely step on the “gas†pedal until no arrows are showing on the Multi Function Display.

Glide is to a Prius as shifting into neutral is to an old technology car - with the exception that it is safer, due to the fact that you still have full control of the car.

Utilizing “Glide†is also the best way to sneak up on unsuspecting pedestrians :eek:
    . . . but do be careful . . . they are on “audio†and really don't know you are there. :rolleyes:

Have fun and enjoy the Prius Meditation Chamber experience. :lol: :lol:

7. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Suburban600 @ Jul 15 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]286933[/snapback]</div>
    I am a big guy and I fit the Prius ok you should be fine. I did flip the mirror up side down. I got the #8 and have never regretted the extra expense.

You won’t see the best MPG’s at first. You have to learn how to drive the car to get the best MPG’s and as your driving habits change the car seems to continually relearn how you drive so it takes a while of back and forth between you and the car until you get high MPG’s

The most important thing I can tell you is after the test drive, DON'T LET GO OF THE KEY!