1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Self charging"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Apr 18, 2019.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Two similar points of view:

Also:

Does an amusing advertising lie justify a desirable result?

VW claimed they had a "clean diesel" which for fuel efficiency is a good thing <COUGH> <COUGH>. How about 'non-addictive' opioids?

The Wilson family has happily bought and used: 1991 Camry; 2001 Echo; 2003 Prius; 2010 Prius, and; 2017 Prius Prime. Sure there have been challenges that we had to overcome. But claiming "self charging" is a little too far for this engineer. It rates right up there with the anti-charging Lexus commercial.

IMHO, someone in Toyota/Lexus has lost their way. I can only hope they will get better ... like VW? <BRAHHAHAHA>

Bob Wilson

Data Daedalus likes this.
  2. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is the "full self driving" claim any better?

And there is one true "Self charging hybrid", Prius Prime with solar roof I can buy it in Europe.

Toyota marketing department obviously had to find something to distinguish between new 48V mild hybrids and plug-in hybrids. Full hybrid is not the best label. I don't know why would someone conclude that energy for "Self charging" comes from Unikorn farts, of course it comes from gasoline. The car uses it's own gas angine and generator to charge the battery, why is it wrong to call it Self charging?

But what do I know, English is not my first language, so fell free to teach me differently.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You are doing quite well with one minor correction (perhaps 'autocorrect' screw-up?)

For me it is a question of seeing language used in false, "perpetual motion" claims, applied to a serious, useful technology, hybrids. Hybrids can save substantial amounts of energy. But there have been notable failures such as any 'micro' hybrid or those horrible 48V systems.

Bob Wilson

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Pick up a self-charging car. Pop over to the grocery store and visit the juice aisle to pick up a case of "100% Juice with added ingredients" that you can sip while driving your self-charging car. No use fighting Madison Avenue....

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A Toyota exec claimed a BEV battery costs $34,000, and VW is putting millions into BEV factories. I don't want to trust VW, but they do seem to be walking the talk, to say.

The one hybrid with a solar roof has a plug, which makes it a collateral target to the self-charging ad.

6. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you read for context and actually do the math, that number works out.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why would the average reader do that? shouldn't the exec explain his fuzzy math?

Trollbait likes this.
  8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    “On electrification, we see an opportunity in North America, but it’s much further down the road,” Carter said Tuesday at a forum co-hosted by the National Automobile Dealers Association. “The average vehicle today costs $34,000 and for many EVs, the battery costs $34,000. The economics are not there.”
    - A $255 Billion EV Debate Is Raging Among the World’s Biggest Automakers

What other context is there? What else did he say?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    which of these 'many ev's' have a battery cost of $34,000.? model s? x? jaguar? porch?

likely not the bolt, leaf or model 3.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The S and X battery might, if you were able to expand it to provide 450 miles of range. Just switching to the newer cells used in the Model 3 will improve range, more so if also upgrading the motors, and it may cost the same or be cheaper.