1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Self induced "Check Hybrid System" ....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 12voltman, Nov 24, 2018.

1. 12voltman

12voltman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Guys,
    Just got the dreaded "Check Hybrid System" warning on dash, but I am almost 100% is was self induced , and wondering how to clear the warning .

Here is what happened .............. 2011 with 79,000 miles btw .
    I was installing a cell phone mount on the dash so I could use it as a GPS, and Pandora hooked through my stereo . Its a 2011 with the basic non JBL radio and no AUX port on the radio itself. The AUX port is in the center console. I took the center console apart so I could run a 3.5mm AUX wire from the center console up to the dash so it would be easier to hook up to my phone without a wire hanging around outside of the center console , and getting caught in the sliding armrest .
    Got it all done , and tested it. Works great , but when I started up the car, I got the dreaded "Check Hybrid System" warning . During the install , somehow the electronic shifter stalk plug was not snapped in place all the way and basically was not making contact. Of coarse I could not put the car into any gear at that point . Removed all the center console stuff, and found the error of my ways .............totally my fault . Plugged it back in securely , and checked all the others as well . Reinstalled the plastic center console pieces , and thankfully, it went into gear at that point no problem . Trouble is ..............the "Check Hybrid System" warning light is still on. I tried disconnecting the 12v battery , but no dice .
    Car has NEVER had the warning before, and it was perfect this morning . It was only after I left the electronic shifter stalk unplugged , did I get the warning (that wont go away).
    Car runs and drives perfect , except for the warning on the dash .............
    Do I need to have Toyota reset this with a techstream ? Wont go away on its own I am guessing ?
    I do have the Carista APP, and bluetooth OBD code reader set-up , but not sure if that will clear Hybrid codes anyway (its in my other cars glovebox right now, so I cant try it for a little while) .

Any ideas guys ?
    I had to cause this my self right ???

Am I going to have to go to the dealer now ?

Thanks for any ideas !

2. 12voltman

12voltman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry , Double post ...............

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Scan and grab any codes that may populate, it will tell you where to troubleshoot. Chances are, you may have left the car in accessory mode for too long.

4. 12voltman

12voltman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did have it in Accessory mode for a little while ........... didnt know that could set a hybrid warning ?
    I will check codes with Carista later and see what it pulls up .
    Thanks

5. 12voltman

12voltman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update :
    Well after about an hour of sitting , it seems to have reset itself . No More "Check Hybrid System" warning .
    Everything is perfectly fine now . Will pull codes later , just to see if anything comes up and report back .

Note to self ............. check all electrical plugs REALLY good on a Prius after doing ANY work, and before starting the car !!!

Pretty much the scariest thing to see on a Prius is the "Check Hybrid System" warning !!!

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At this point it'd be good to monitor your hybrid battery pack to make sure all issues are gone... Your OBD2 Bluetooth reader can be used with Dr. Prius for Android & Apple and Hybrid Assistant and Hybrid Reporter App for Android... This will increase your familiarity with your hybrid battery so if something comes up again you'll be more curious than furious....

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It will definitely complain if it sees the shifter or park button disconnected when it tries to go READY. In my experience, it'll usually stop lighting the MWL a few drive cycles after the problem is fixed, if you don't do anything else. The codes may be remembered longer as "historical" ones, even though they no longer light the warning. You can clear those with Techstream if that bothers you.

-Chap

Robert Holt likes this.
  8. 12voltman

12voltman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Checked for codes this morning with Carista .
    No warnings on dash what so ever . Car drives and acts completely normal .

Carista is showing 5 hybrid codes , but they are all ****** out . I cant read them or delete them without getting the Carista 39.95 1 year pro subscription (or the 9.95 1 week subscription ) .

On a side note : it took the Carista app forever to read the codes .......at least 2 minutes + .
    I am used to Carista reading a little slow , but this was REALLY slow !

Guess I may have to pony up and buy another Carista subscription again .......
    Unless there are any other iphone APP's that can do this ? Anyone know of any ?
    Torque is android only ........

9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Techstream is your best bet.

I haven’t found a good iPhone app like Torque Pro for the Android folks.

Where are you located?

Might be a member near you that has the software that could assist.

edthefox5 likes this.
  10. 12voltman

12voltman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Located in Central PA.
    How does the Techstream work Ray ?
    I thought the Techstream software was $$$ ?
    I am sure I would have to buy the wire adapter or something too right ?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You can purchase a J2534 protocol mini vci setup off of Amazon for $20. It pairs well with an old laptop, which is the exact setup I have and it works:).

Getting it to work can be a challenge, but once you do, it’s the best tool for diagnosis ;).

When you buy the dongle you get the Techstream software. Good luck and keep us posted (y).

13. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Engine Link for iOS will read & clear codes and do a bunch of other stuff. It's in the App Store. It's not nearly as good as Torque Pro, but it's as close as I've ever found.

There is a thread around here somewhere that explains how to get the Prius DTC codes used by Torque Pro into your iOS device so that Engine Link can use them.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Torque wants you to use a bluetooth OBDII reader while Engine Link and other iOS apps want wifi. Life would be so much nicer if they would just port Torque to iOS.

14. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No need to spend money with Carista... It's slow outdated hardware & software... There's an endless ocean of junk OBD2 readers and apps that don't work. Torque is no longer updated... I've been very please with Dr. Prius app when it comes to reading Hybrid battery subcodes... Also Hybrid Assistant and Hybrid Reporter App gives lots of data. First step is getting an OBD2 app that works, so follow this guide: Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

15. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I bought the TONWON bluetooth version above for use with apps. Dr Prius is ok for hv battery and related codes but almost nothing else, not even the most basic odb2 codes. I do use Car Scanner with the TONWON. Techstream is Toyota’s multi ecu tool, does controls as well as monitoring but the hacked version does not give you access to all of their drawings and procedures, which you can buy separately from Toyota for a day or weekend. I bought a weekend and downloaded everything I thought was useful. Even with the permanent downloads, you are compromised somewhat because they use links in the docs to other docs. So a procedure may link to five others to do the job.

Attached Files:

#15 rjparker, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  16. 12voltman

12voltman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks guys ,
    Not sure what to do . Really just need a way to erase these lingering codes, to make sure they are just that ......... lingering.
    Took the car for another good ride yesterday , and its acting perfect (as usual) with no warning screens .

For some reason I am bothered by something that is behind the curtains, so to speak, lol .

We are planning a few thousand mile trip soon , and don't want to second guess the reliability of this always problem free Prius .

May just purchase the Carista subscription to make sure everything is ok.
    Btw, the Carista has been perfect for me, and on several cars we own . Yes, its a little slow to pull codes , but other than that it has been perfect. I was a little surprised it even pulled the Hybrid codes (even though it didnt show them) . So bonus ...... at least it will work if I shell out a few bucks !
    In the grand scheme of things, its pretty cheap considering I was sure I would be taking a trip to the slealership !

17. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Torque Pro (Android) or Engine Link (iOS) are cheaper and will also clear your codes since I guess you already have the bluetooth/wifi adapter. You can also clear codes by disconnecting the ground wire on the 12V battery, but that will lose your radio settings, trip meters, and a bunch of other stuff. Or you can just wait, and if they are really OK, the codes should clear themselves after a while.

18. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If all your worried about is seeing and clearing the battery and hybrid system codes, download Dr Prius for free and it may work on your phone or tablet using a bluetooth adapter and still allow reading those codes and clearing them. They charge for extras like battery life testing.

dr prius png.png

#18 rjparker, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  19. 12voltman

12voltman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, I already disconnected the battery , and it did not clear the hybrid codes . They may just go out on there own if i wait long enough .

Thanks, I will try that . I was under the impression that Dr Prius only was able to access the battery itself, and not the hybrid system .
    Will give it a try .

20. 12voltman

12voltman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks RJ, Dr Prius worked like a charm, and FREE ! :)
    Dr Prius is pretty good . Worked great with my Carista Bluetooth adapter . As a side note , its also a good alternative for disabling the reverse beep, and seat belt beep .....for free ! (Not saying anyone should disable this stuff, but you know ...... at least you can with Dr. Prius app) .

Anyway .......all codes are now cleared , here is a screen shot of all 5 codes if you guys want to see if just starting the car WITHOUT the shifter stalk plugged in can throw up these codes . As of now, I have NO hybrid (or engine) codes showing after clearing them .

[​IMG]

Also , here is a few battery stat pics if you guys want to give a look over and see what you think . (I have no idea how to read if these are good or bad yet , but it looks ok to me . ) First pic is after the car was sitting all night , and not started .
    Second pic is after its started and running for about 1-2 minutes .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think ?
    Thanks for all the help !

followingalex and jerrymildred like this.