1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Self Serve / Pump Your Own and My Changing Opinion....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by The Electric Me, Feb 16, 2017.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have long defended Oregon's Non-Self Serve gasoline laws.
    Actually enjoying NOT having to pump my own gasoline, and liking the idea that it creates some employment.

But at the risk of sounding like a Grumpy Old Man...let me just get this out of the way..."You Kid's Get Offa My Lawn!"....

My opinion is changing.

I have a relatively new vehicle, and like most new vehicles including The Prius, there are warnings about NOT overfilling the gas tank, or "topping off".

Last night, I go to have my gas filled. The attendant starts the process, and I go inside to pay. As I am waiting for the gas to be pumped I'm watching through the window. The pump shuts off at $16 and change-closer to $17, and I watch the attendant pump it up to over $18.

First of all, topping off is actually illegal. They are NOT suppose to do it.
    Secondly, it's not good for the vehicle.

When I asked the attendant, he denied doing it. Saying he never tops off, unless it's just pennies to round up. A dubious answer at best.

This isn't the first time it has happened.
    If I warn the attendant before they start- not to top off, I get a derisive evil look like I'm the biggest jerk in the world. Usually with a snarl that they "don't do that".
    If I don't say anything?
    There seems to be about a 50/50 chance they WILL top it off.

I'm really getting to the point where since it seems impossible to find consistency, or trust the attendants, that I'd rather just be able to pump my own.
    Like Al Pacino said in Scar Face..."Who do I trust? I trust me!".

So anyway, not a big deal, just a venting. And the admission that I think I'm changing a long held opinion. Bring me Self Serve in Oregon.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never had any problems with stations topping off since the law banning topping off went into effect,

I have also never had Oregon attendants do any of the somewhat risky things when filling gas cans, which I see at times when I travel out of state, such as filling inappropriate containers, filling while holding a can in the hands, etc.

At least the attendants have some training. It creates jobs, it keeps me out of the rain and keeps my hands from smelling like petrol.

And, regarding topping off, the law is in place for safety,mechanical and environmental reasons. In my case, the attendants all seem to observe it. But, in a self-serve system, it will be back to a bunch of yahoo motorists squeezing the pump to put in a buck or two more.

Each time the gasoline lobby tries to change the law, it gets knocked down. Oregonians do not want self-serve for the most part.

#2 cyberpriusII, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    RCO likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A year ago, and for most of my life as an Automobile driving Oregonian that was nearly verbatim my viewpoint and opinion.

But I have now watched too many attendants top off...law or no law against it. Once they do it? The fact that a law exists against them doing it, really doesn't help you much.

And at the deserved risk of sounding intellectually elitist, snobby and conceded, I also pulled in a couple weeks ago, and turned off my engine, I was grabbing a few things so didn't immediately hit my gas cover release latch. I watched the kid press my gas cover at least 3 times, waiting for it to magically open.
    Let's just say, I don't always trust they are going to be able to bring nozzle to vehicle gas intake, without scratching my car.

No I just want the kids off my lawn.
    A good nights sleep.
    And to pump my own gas.

Goober can sell me the Slim Jims and Soda inside as I wash the smell of Petrol off my hands.

RCO likes this.
  4. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You're dealing with low wage workers who don't give a rat's nice person about your issue. Unless you stand there while they're pumping, you'll probably get topped off.

RCO likes this.
  5. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    must be the stations I frequent. Usually the attendants are 18-ish, friendly, willing to chat, not sullen, but also pretty much on the run as the stations nowadays (did not used to be the case) seem to hire two less attendants than are actually needed.

So, they are on the run. They don't want to spend the time standing there forcing an extra gallon in the tank. When it clicks off, they run up, remove the nozzle back, ask if I need a receipt, cap the tank, shut the fuel door and are off to the next six cars.

RCO likes this.
  6. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably often true.
    But I've always had the rather unique ability to not give a rats nice person about something BUT still do it right.

I mean, it's not rocket science...I'm basically asking them NOT do something...NOT press the nozzle. And NOT break the law.
    It's actually takes extra effort to NOT return the nozzle to the pump after the automatic shut off kicks in.

RCO likes this.
  7. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly my point, which is why I wonder where you are buying gasoline. When they are not forcing extra gasoline in the tank, are they reading from a book of sonnets? It is seldom I see any station in my area where the attendants have any spare time.

RCO likes this.
  8. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And I wonder where you are buying gas.
    Most attendants I deal with look like they are in an episode of The Walking Dead, as either on the run survivors or a Zombie themselves.

And disturbingly....way too many of them..busy or not, seem to want to go that "Extra Mile" by pumping in that "Extra Gallon".

RCO likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I go into NJ from time to time. With most stations charging less for cash, they'll regularly top off to the nearest quarter or dollar.

I don't care for the no self serve because one time I was outside of the car I saw the attendant spill the last bit of gas in the nozzle down the side of my car. It wasn't much, but it quickly adds up if a regular occurance.

RCO likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i prefer to have someone else pump mine, but if i have to, i will.

RCO likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Coquitlam is a little "island of Oregon", pretty much THE holdout in all of BC, where you can't do your own fillup. In 25+ years we've been here, think I've bought Coquitlam gas twice.

Once we were walking by the Esso in our neighbourhood, saw gas gushing out, the nozzle locked on and unattended. Down the side of the car, across the lot to the storm drain, wending it's way to the nearby stream.

Five minutes later, walking back, it was still still going. Just about then an attendant came out, did a double-take and started running towards it.

Yeah not a fan.

RCO likes this.
  12. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pump attendants are extinct in UK. RIP.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Imagine this process separate from its history. Just what the thing is.

A large storage tank of highly flammable (explosive vapors) organic solvent in a public place. Attached to a motorized pump. Freely accessible to the public (with no training, of any age) without direct supervision.

I guess I can buy a flamethrower, in many states, but that gives me just a few liters to play with. This whole thing is kicked up several notches. Seems amazing that horrible incidents are as rare as they are.

14. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Here's Ronnie...

[​IMG]

15. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In-laws live in Oregon.

Big thing I hear complaints about is "having to wait" for an attendant to pump the gas when in Oregon.

I have had to wait a minute or two sometimes when I visit. No big deal, rather wait a bit than hassle with it myself.

Unfortunately -- or perhaps fortunately -- my life is not so tightly wound that a minute or two extra at the pump is going to ruin my day.

And, Mendel, what year did that gusher take place. With the auto-shut-offs I can't see that being an issue nowdays, or any more of an issue than when the car owner at a self-serve sticks in the nozzle and heads off to the restroom.

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Self serves can't be locked in on position AFAIK. But this full serve apparently could, to facilitate one or two employee running around with 5 or 6 customers. I'd guesstimate the occurence was 1995?

17. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, it might be a Canadian vs. USA thing. Some self-serve stations have removed the various hooks that enable you to let go of the nozzle while the tank continues to fill with gasoline. At least in my experience across the Western United States.

But, most of them still have the various devices that allow you to "set the flow" and let go. Me, I set it on, let go, but stand next to the car and when the auto-shut-off turns off the pump, I am done. Lots of people leave though and go off to buy beer and use the restrooms.

All the Oregon stations I have been in, the attendants set the nozzle, leave, nozzle clicks off from the auto-shut-off, attendant comes back, removes nozzle, puts back cap and you drive away.

In other words, I think it is a legal requirement in the USA for auto-shut-off. If it is not, it should be.

BUT WAIT --

They all HAVE auto-shut-off here in the USA. That's what turns the pump off when you are holding it by hand and it clicks off.

#17 Stevewoods, Feb 16, 2017
  18. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is starting to resemble the thread:
    National Theft Search and Recovery -Identity Theft Recovery Service | Page 5 | PriusChat

Next we will be arguing the dangers of filling your tank from a gasoline can. :LOL:

All-in-all, maybe there is NO SUPER DUPER real reason to keep the NO SELF-SERVE law, other than to keep Oregon Weird. And for those of us who love her, that is reason enough. Sorry, Mendel, caught you coming out of the Dollar Store....:p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#18 cyberpriusII, Feb 16, 2017
    RCO and Stevewoods like this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They all auto-shutoff here too. Theoretically.

RCO likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    should we have attendants at plug in stations?

RCO likes this.