1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sell my 2009 Prius privately or trade-in? I have extended warranty + prepaid service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Turnip, May 30, 2012.

1. Turnip

Turnip New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE:

I took it to dealer #1 (where I usually get it serviced) and they offered me $14K. I thought that was quite low.

A few days later I brought it back to Dealer 1 to get it serviced and saw a huge sign saying "get your free appraisal and CarFax report). So that day they offered me $16K (atually 16.5 which they dialed back to 16 when I said I'll sell it now for 17).

That night I listed it at Craigslist for 21K (to give myself negotiating room). I only got 3 bites, one that sounded serious with an appt the next day.

The next day I took it to Dealer 2; they offered me $17K; I tried to get them to 18 but no go.

I decided to do it. Didn't want to keep worrying about it and time was running out. I called the guy to tell him not to come by; he was willing to go up to 19K but admitted he would have to see it first (obviously) so I decided to go with the sure thing.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

2. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think a lot of people end up doing what you did, which is a shame because I think you could have managed to get $18+k for it from a PP if you had a little more time (and also because I'm in the market for a used Prius). My 2c is to not let salespeople rush you, especially with gas and oil prices falling. You can get an extra thousand or so from a PP sale, and the PP can save an extra thousand or so compared to the dealer. It's not as if Prii demand goes up as gas prices go down.