1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sell, or not to sell.

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by bonanzoo, Jan 17, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I have a 2013 Prius C One, with aftermarket cruise control I hooked up. I've owned it since 100k and now I'm just about to hit 158k. Never had any major problems other than changing the strut assembly for $500. I've change the transaxle fluid, engine/inverter coolant, brake fluid and spark plugs when I first purchased it. I changed the engine/inverter coolant again at 150k. Synthetic every 10k. Summing everything up, the car has been headache free and no issues.

However, I want to upgrade to a 2017 Prius/Prime. From a financial standpoint, would it make sense to buy another Prius when there is nothing wrong with mine? The only perks applicable to me is that I can hookup Comma Ai for level 2 autonomous driving using the existing TSS feature for road trips (which won't happen until rona is nearly over). I could sell my Prius for $6k and buy 2017 around 100k miles for $12k out the door. Based on my reasoning for wanting to upgrade and if you were in my position, would you upgrade? Or would you rather get as many miles as you possibly can out of the Prius C (250k+) before considering upgrading.

mikey_t likes this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If finances are the only consideration, then it almost never makes sense to turn in an older trouble-free car and replace it with something newer.

Wanting upgrades dramatically changes the situation. If you want upgrades, while still making financial sense, then you'll have to decide how much value each of those upgrades is worth to you now, vs delaying them a while or possibly indefinitely. Then roll in your ability to afford those upgrades, vs your other financial plans.

I kept one car 23 years. It wasn't trouble free, but the troubles it had were still cheaper than depreciation on a new replacement even at the end, when I decided that I really wanted to upgrade to something with airbags and ABS and better crash protection and modern fuel economy. That is when I got my first Prius. But I kept that one only 3 years before deciding I wanted to upgrade to a higher trim level, and easily could afford to do so. (It also helped that it traded in as just a 2 year old car, not 3 years old.) Now that one is approaching 9 years old, and I'm looking at replacing it with a PHEV, once the right thing/deal (Prius Prime has a couple shortcomings from our needs) becomes available.

Spouse's daily driver is 32 years old, first owner. It is now dirt cheap to own and maintain and renew registration and insure, and still fills her needs. I haven't been able to talk her into upgrading to something with airbags, ABS, side impact protection, ...

mikey_t, bonanzoo and Lukey51 like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was in a similar position a couple of years back when I upgraded from our old 2010 Prius II with 200k miles on it to our 2019 Prime Plus;).

I had done all the preventative maintenance in our old 2010, but when you get the itch to upgrade and something comes along that pushes you over the edge, go for it:).

In my case, @Pedal Logic had a friend who had a need for reliable transportation but was in a spot, so I helped out. Didn't take much pushing and we came to an agreeable sale price(y).

mikey_t, bonanzoo and Merkey like this.
  4. Lukey51

Lukey51 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I got a 2003 Nissan Sentra XE in 2007 with 51k miles on it. I ran it until 2017 when I swapped it for a 2014 Hyundai Elantra. Then 14 months later I swapped that for a 2016 Ford Fiesta, then 5 months later swapped that for my Prius C2. This Prius was well maintained and has been a perfect used car. I see no reason why I shouldn't run it until it's at least 20 years old in 2032.
    I wish I'd ran the Sentra until 2023. It was a nicer car when I traded it in in 2017 that it was when I bought it in 2007 and I only put 40k miles on it in those 10 years. That was the longest I'd ever had a car. It was a nice car.

#4 Lukey51, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    mikey_t and bonanzoo like this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want the tech and it won't significantly impact your finances, I'd say go for it. But if you're tight or are saving up for something else (home, or home upgrades or vacation or wedding or any other big ticket items), then maybe wait.

For me, I upgraded from my 2010 to a 2018 Prime (bought in Jan 2019 so it was discounted cause it was "a year old" even though it had a Nov 2018 build date). My 2010 was working fine with new front brake pads (regularly crossed the Rockies so that's why the pads wore out faster than normal) and didn't have any of the oil burning issues yet. It was due for a suspension repair (rough roads of many winters will do that).

But I wanted a Prime for EV driving and it was also familiar (i.e. a Prius when EV juice is out and it's running in hybrid mode). I'm not a fan of the reduced cargo space or the 11.6" MFD that isn't fully utilised to its potential but I love the car. I love driving in EV mode and it handles waaay better than any Prius before it (at least like a VW Golf).

If Toyota doesn't produce an EV (that's "affordable" and not a Lexus that's $100k) soon, I'd probably jump ship for my next upgrade.

mikey_t, bonanzoo and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Same boat here:).

I've got my eye on the Rivian;).

I'm looking forward about 4 years for the purchase, so time will tell(y).

bonanzoo and Tideland Prius like this.
  7. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    That's the thing. I said I would pull the trigger and buy a Gen 4/Prime after purchasing a house but never ended up upgrading. I bought my first home (rental property) in cash 30 miles outside of Boston in Nov/2020. I don't feel financially guilty anymore to upgrade, but I feel guilty about selling a trouble-free car. :/

It is also funny you mentioned the 2010 Prius you had because I had one and sold it for the same reason. I was creeping up on 140k and didn't want the oil burning issues. Then I got a 2014 BMW 428i, then a 2014 Corolla S; then I got the Prius C. I've never had a car for so long. It's been almost three years now with my Prius C. Maybe I'm just getting the urge to upgrade because I have had the Prius for so long? Maybe I'll stick it out to the end of 2021 and see how I feel. Time is on my side because by then, the depreciation on a 2017 Prius Prime and the HOV lane stickers expires at the four-year mark, which will ultimately lead to an influx of Primes on the market.

I appreciate the insight and congrats on the 2018 Prime. I honestly think it's the best looking Prius on the road today.

mikey_t and Tideland Prius like this.
  8. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thank you for your perspective and insight. I will hold off on purchasing till the end of this year. My parents are back home near Boston and I have a fear of flying. The Toyota Safety Sense and Comma Ai would make the 3,000 mile road trip from LA super easy. I haven't seen them in nearly 3 years now so I think I can justify the upgrade sometime this year.

AND WOW on the 32 year old car! That is amazing!

9. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    financially, run that prius c to the ground (or until you need to replace something that just costs too much...more than it's worth)

if you're to YOLO, I wouldn't do it on another Prius

10. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @bonanzoo, How did you change the brake fluid? Do you need to put the car in "invalid" mode? Could you please share the steps? Thanks.

bonanzoo likes this.
  11. bonanzoo

bonanzoo Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Wow, I never got a notification for this comment until I searched this thread. I ended up getting it changed at a local shop for $80. I didn't feel mechanically inclined to do it my self.