1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sell or repair 2004?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by birv2, Dec 26, 2017.

1. birv2

birv2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We are the second owners of a 2004 with about 155K. Original battery. The A/C system needs to be replaced, and the A/C compressor is now making noise and will fail in the near future, according to a reputable local mechanic.

We could pay about $6K to get a new battery and A/C system and keep the car running. We love the car; it's been our favorite car of 45 years of car ownership.

We live in South Carolina (humid) and mostly commute 10-15 minutes to work, with a long trip (1200 miles) or two a year. Any thoughts on longevity vs buying a new/used Prius or other used car? We're tempted to pay the $6k and keep the car, but maybe that's not smart....

TIA,
    Bob

2. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's probably worth somewhere near zero now, so why not drive it until it's fully dead, and rent a car for your road trips? You effectively have nothing to lose.

bisco likes this.
  3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Only you can answer this question.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    i think i would fix it, but shop around to make sure the price is right. as for long trips, i agree with egg salad, rent a car.

5. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd fix it... notice I said "I'd fix it." I found years ago that it's less expenive to do my own work and the warranty never expieres. So far, so good. But that's a choice.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can do much better than $6000. We have members here that sell nearly new batteries for less than $1500 and new batteries for $2000-$2500. AC compressor probably won't run you that much either. I'd say fix it and drive it until it dies

Where do you travel on those 1200 miles?

Chodronish, Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You've a gun, and a bullet fully loaded already. So, you shoot emm, at the right target. What target? Fix em!:D

8. birv2

birv2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the reply. I actually was contacted by a member here who offered to do a new battery in the price range you mentioned.

The 1200 mile trip is up to PA and back. No mountains, etc.

Could get just the compressor replaced though local mechanic said since A/C wasn't working prior to this that the whole system will probably go down eventually anyway. Thoughts?

9. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a Prius with over 300k miles, the AC compressor was shot so we bought a used compressor for $50 and replaced it ourselfs.

It was actually easier than other non hybrid cars. Thats because the compressor has its own electric motor and works without the gas engine. Essentially plug and play.

Chodronish, kenoarto and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'd be inclined to repair as well. Not sure why you'd need to a rent a car for your long trips with a new battery? @JC91006, so what can someone expect to pay to replace a Gen II hybrid battery these days? I'm outside Chicago and will hopefully not need it, but I do have two Gen IIs with low miles.

birv2 likes this.
  11. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Around 2k for a new Toyota battery. That will pretty much last a baseline of at least 10 years if driven regularly.

birv2 and Chodronish like this.
  12. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks @Aaron Vitolins and hello to Nashville! I lived there for many years and still have some family there. Wouldn't mind being there again since it is -3 here currently.

13. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello! Wow! I no I feel bad for complaining about the 16 degrees this morning. Bless your soul

Chodronish likes this.
  14. Chodronish

Chodronish Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    16 is still cold! I know! Sadly, it was 0 here this morning with a wind chill below -20. :eek:

15. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have replaced parts in cars where the parts were worth more than the car. The big thing is you know your car, buying another high mileage car is the old pig in a poke joke. If you can do some of the work yourself you can save half of the expense if not try not to be in a hurry and shop for better deals on repairs. I traded in my 2008 and only got $3,000 for it last month and there was nothing wrong with it, I basically gave them the car, I just didn't need another car around the house I didn't need.