1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seller had severe hybrid battery warnings -

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by softdown, Dec 19, 2019.

1. softdown

softdown Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yellow triangle with exclamation mark at far left of dash (could be something else). Large rectangular message about hybrid battery issue and not driving. His electric vehicle repair shop told him he needed a new hybrid battery. Auto Zone scanner said the same thing.

He could not afford a new hybrid battery so he sold it - to me. I quickly replaced the 234,000 mileage 2012 battery with a 130,000 mileage 2014 battery. The messages remain after an hour of driving.

I'm hopeful the message will clear over time. But I am fearful that the hybrid battery is being over charged. The 2012 modules all measured between 7.9 and 8.2 volts. Is that too high?

Not going to drive it much at all until I can do a Dr. Prius hybrid battery scan - when the scanner finally gets here.

How do I replace 7.9 and 8.0 volt modules when replacement modules are only guaranteed to offer 7.75 volts? Something seems off. My voltage measurements were taken with a quality ($300) Ideal measurement meter.