1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Selling advice for non-running 2012 170k

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mphsaxophone, Jun 3, 2022.

1. mphsaxophone

mphsaxophone New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My girlfriend has a hand-me-down 2012 II with ~170k miles on it that has not run in almost a year due to a piston misfire. I've read enough to know that it's either a clogged EGR or a head gasket but we haven't gotten it looked at. I know what you're thinking and yes, we should have done something with it sooner, but we were not in a position financially to accommodate towing or repair costs (we're barely out of college and paying a fortune in rent) and we live in an apartment complex that doesn't allow residents to do car maintenance in the parking lot. We're moving next month to a townhouse with a driveway/garage, but since the car has been sitting since last summer I'm too out of my depth to do my own diagnostics. We would like to sell it, get what we can, and learn the hard lesson for next time.

Given that the engine doesn't run, the hybrid battery is totally discharged, and there's a fair bit of cosmetic damage on the passenger side, we are not expecting much. Do any of you have experience with selling or buying a Prius in similar condition? Is it worth listing privately or should we just call the junkyard and get it over with? Any idea what we might be able to recoup? Any advice or wisdom is much appreciated!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    call todd at tampa hybrids and get his opinion. if it's not a head gasket, it might not be too hard to fix it up and sell it in running condition in this high priced market

3. Eddie25

Eddie25 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have no idea how much it's worth but I don't make a lot of money and I'd give you a grand for it, sight unseen (if I was close by). Probably 2 grand if I could check it out and ask questions. So I wouldn't junk it unless you can get at least that or more.

4. EH6TunerDaniel

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I paid $1800 for my 2010 in march of this year from a seller in Oklahoma. its a 3 with solar roof with good body and had a hole in the block. 249k miles on it and I got lucky. The guy i bought it from showed me his facebook messenger and he just scrolled endlessly through all the responses for his ad. I just got lucky he picked me. I would say the $1800 is a bit low but maybe $2500ish - $3k is a good start.

5. EH6TunerDaniel

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dont know why it posted 3 duplicates

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    With body damaged 3K . I'd go for the blown engine but the body damage no some wear on the interior sure but not a completely blown out interior the solar roof car was a good deal I have one of those in red it's got 260 on it and it's never had to be touched engine wise it's driven doordash and all that nonsense I don't pay these prices for those cars a lot of people won't either

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Clogged EGR leads to head gasket failure, and that causes misfire; basically allowing coolant to leak into the cylinders, typically starting with cylinder one..

I would try boroscope inspection and/or leak-down test. Both is best. The leak-down test is best left to a pro mechanic. The wipers, wiper motor/linkage and metal cowl will need to come off. You can see details on that in @NutzAboutBolts Prius spark plug video.