1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Selling Nitrogen In Tires - Is It All A Lot Of Hot Air?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by FloridaWen, Jun 2, 2007.

1. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(msirach @ Jun 3 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]454337[/snapback]</div>
    Actually I DO NOT have "nitrogen" in this new (2007) Prius............... I HAD it in an '03 Acura MDX when I purchased four new Michelin Cross-Terrain tires mounted/balanced at Costco about 6 months ago. We have since traded-in that MDX toward the new Prius. That was my very first "exposure" to nitrogen in tires..... since the tires were brand new and the alloy rims on the MDX were in excellent condition that may be a contibutor to the reason we never "lost" any "air" (nitrogen) in those tires over the six month period.

Will I go and have my new Prius tires "purged" and re-filled with NITROGEN.......... certainly NOT !!

This topic was actually started for two main reasons...........
    (1) I thought it might be of some "interest for discussion" amongst the very alert and intelligent people I find here on this PriusChat Forum, to share an article I found (several months ago) about NITROGEN in auto. tires ..........
    (2) In ANOTHER THREAD on this PC Forum, I just happened to mention we "traded-in" the MDX toward our new Prius and it had this package, that option, blah-blah-blah..... and new tires filled with Nitrogen.... and someone responded to that "quote" poking fun of me as if I was a "jerk falling for a scam"...... he also asked if I had a VORTEX "air swirler".......... obviously HE did not realize that the ONLY substance Costco uses to fill their new tires mounted/balanced at their Automotive stores is NITROGEN !! It was NOT a choice or an option for me........

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Amazing how few people actually -read- posts, isn't it? Most appear to just "skim".

But to "answer" your original post question, it's a lot of -dry- air. Excluding O2 does nothing. I've never seen the -inside- of a tire oxidize. The outside, yes, and that takes assistance of UV from the sun.

However, now that N2 is the "hot setup", marketers are leaping on the bandwagon selling devices that compress air and reduce the O2 in the tank. They just don't get it. Reduce the H2O in the tank! THAT'S the "hot setup".

It's the water vapour in the tires that causes the pressure to change more rapidly than you'd like, not the O2.

No, I wouldn't pay for N2. I might be convinced to pay a small fee to ensure my air is dry! Maybe $0.25 per use.

3. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 2 2007, 09:25 AM) [snapback]453855[/snapback]</div>

Ok... I just have to ask... what the heck is this COSTCO that I keep hearing so much about? Everywhere I turn I keep hearing how you can buy your insurance at costco or your clothes, tires, furniture, food, etc... is this place some sort of ultra-wal-mart-esque type of store??? What is so great about this costco that keeps everyone raving about it?

4. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ Jun 3 2007, 12:21 PM) [snapback]454402[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.costco.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costco
    :rolleyes:

Costco Wholesale Corporation (NASDAQ: COST) is the largest membership warehouse club chain in the world based on sales volume, headquartered in Issaquah, Washington, United States, with its flagship warehouse in nearby Seattle.

History
    Founded by James Sinegal and Jeffrey Brotman, Costco opened its first warehouse in Seattle, Washington on September 15, 1983. Sinegal began by working for Sol Price at both FedMart and Price Club. Brotman, an attorney from an old Seattle retailing family, was also involved in retailing from an early age.
    Costco’s business model was similar to that of Price Club, which was founded by Sol and Robert Price in 1976 in San Diego, California. Both companies charged a membership fee and catered primarily to small-business owners.
    The two retailers were similar in size when they merged in 1993; thus, the combined company, PriceCostco, was effectively double the size of each of its parents. At that time, PriceCostco had 206 locations generating $16 billion in annual sales.
    PriceCostco was initially led by executives from both companies, but then Sol and his son Robert Price founded Price Enterprises and left in 1994. The company changed the name to Costco Wholesale in 1997.

Costco today
    Patrons entering a Costco warehouse club. The main competitor in the membership warehouse space is Sam's Club. Although Sam's Club has more warehouses than Costco, Costco has higher total sales volume. Costco employs about 132,000 full- and part-time employees, including seasonal workers, and for fiscal year 2006, ended on September 3, 2006, the company's store sales totaled $60.2 billion of which $1.1 billion was net profit. Costco is #32 on the Fortune 500.

As of May 5, 2007, Costco has 510 locations:
    376 in the United States and Puerto Rico
    71 in Canada
    30 in Mexico (50-50 joint venture)
    19 in the United Kingdom
    5 in South Korea
    5 in Japan
    4 in Taiwan, ROC

In India, Costco is exploring a joint venture entry into the heavily regulated wholesale retail sector with Bombay Dyeing Ltd. The discussions are on nascent stage. It is difficult to gain foot hold in India's retail market due to tough regulations.
    Costco currently operates two other retail formats, a home furnishings concept known as "Costco Home," and a strictly business operation known as "Costco Business Center."
    There are currently two Costco Home locations (Washington State & Arizona, both in former HomeBase warehouse stores) with plans for a third on the west coast. Costco membership is required, and hours of operation are identical to that of regular Costco warehouses.
    There are a handful of Business Centers, all of which offer delivery via a private fleet of trucks. Some locations have a retail selling floor open to Costco members who wish to shop in person, while others are strictly delivery only.
    Plans for Costco Fresh, a gourmet supermarket, were shelved in 2004.

Sales model
    Typical Costco warehouse interiorCostco focuses on selling products at low prices, often at very high volume. These goods are usually bulk-packaged and marketed primarily to large families and businesses. Furthermore, Costco does not carry multiple brands or varieties where the item is substantially the same. This results in high volume of sales from single vendor, allowing further reduction in price, and reducing marketing costs.
    Costco is only open to members and their guests, except for purchases of liquor and gasoline in some U.S. states due to state law; and prescription drugs due to federal law. Memberships must be purchased in advance; in the United States the lowest cost membership costs US$50 for one year (as of May 5, 2007). Purchases made at Costco's website do not require a membership; however, a 5% surcharge is added to purchases made by non-members. Purchases made with Costco Cash Cards also do not require a membership, and there is no surcharge. To avoid credit card processing fees, Costco only accepts American Express (not in the UK), PIN-based debit cards (Interac in Canada), cash, and checks. Guests of members are only allowed to pay cash.

Lighting costs are reduced on sunny days, as most Costco locations have several skylights. During the day, electronic light meters measure how much light is coming in the skylights and turn off an appropriate percentage of the interior lights. During a typical sunny day, it is very common for the center section of the warehouse to have no interior lights burning.

Most products are delivered to the store on shipping pallets, and the pallets are used to display products for sale on the retail floor. This contrasts with other retailers that break down pallets and stock individual products on shelves. Costco caps its profit margin on most products at 14% or 15%, but generally limits price markup on products from 8%-10%

:D I AM NOT JOKING........... YOU CAN EVEN BUY A BRAND NEW PRIUS (or several other vehicles) DIRECTLY THROUGH COSTCO AND A LOCAL DEALER, SERIOUSLY !!

5. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have to join a club to shop at their store??? Thats a bit bizzare... And paying an extra $50 seems a bit steep for a 'membership'... mabye for those of you living in fancy, high-dollar areas of the country thats small change but where im at, i live in a downtown one-bedroom apartment for $350.00 a month... so yeah... $50.00 is like half of my monthy food budget... I suspect that is why these types of stores dont exist anywhere near here... People here would be told to fork up $50.00 and they would drop everything and walk right back out the door...

6. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ Jun 3 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]454411[/snapback]</div>
    It sounds like your yearly salary is not very high and that's OK. But I am curious how you can afford a new car such as a Prius (and all the ins., gas, maint, etc. that goes with owning a car)? If I lived in a $350/month apartment (which I believe is half of most section 8 rents, and is very, very cheap for even a one bedroom apartment) and my monthly food budget was $100/month, I think owning any automobile under 20 years old would be the furthest thing from my budget.

Rick
    #4 2006

7. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ Jun 3 2007, 11:43 AM) [snapback]454411[/snapback]</div>
    I belong to Sam's Club and pay a membership every year. I find and purchase items there at a substantial savings over other retailers. If I lived closer than 120 miles from a Costco, I would probably join it as well. I enjoy "warehouse savings" and feel that the membership is well worth it. I purchased a high res Samsung 26" LCD there last fall for $450 when I had priced the same model at other stores and on the internet for $950 to $1100. That is just one example of substantial savings in the last few years.

8. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Jun 3 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]454447[/snapback]</div>
    Well for starters, the cost of living is very low here compared to the rest of the country. , < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_Green%2C_Ohio > When I used to live in my hometown of Findlay (a city of about 40,000 that is 20 minutes south of here) < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Findlay%2C_Ohio > I had a brand new 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath apartment for $440/mo. Where I live now is desirable housing (I had to wait over a year to find an opening for a downtown apartment) and is definitely not section 8 housing... To be honest im not sure if we even have section 8 housing here... Realistically I probally spend about $125-150 a month on food. I shop at kroger, not the dairy mart, and I gave up fast food/eating out 2 years ago when I began dieting... If you really must know I have about $24,000 in expenses annualy and set aside close to $4,000 in savings last year... Prior to my prius I drove a used 2002 VW beetle and before that my grandmothers 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass until it died and went to car hevean...

But no, there are no sam's clubs or costcos around here... just the typical Meijer, Target, wal-Mart places I am sad to say...
    Anything else y'all want to know about my life???

9. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ Jun 3 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]454411[/snapback]</div>
    It's $50 a year and I am on my Wife's "membership" so it's like $25 each if you want to look at it like that....
    Costco is "competition" to Sam's Club (which is owned by Wal-Mart). We have BOTH Sams and Costco within 20 miles of us and we once belonged to both but since let the Sam's expire a couple of years ago. We bought the four Michelin Cross-Terrain tires at Costco at a GREAT savings......... even CHEAPER than "tirerack.com". Mounting, balancing, new valve stems, lifetime rotation is all included in a great low price, even lifetime re-balancing if you would like it...... ALL included !! Oh, and let us NOT forget the "free Nitrogen" and pretty GREEN valve stem caps :D !!

Costco had the cheapest price ANYWHERE (except illegal bootleg) on Microsoft Windows VISTA products and Office 2007 !! You can even order on Costco.com and pick up at store as I did with the tires, oh, by-the-way, I just remembered those four Michelins also had a $100 REBATE on top of it all, seriously !! Costco sells items in "bulk" and "large quantity" so not everything at Costco is well suited for purchase by just us two (Wife and I) but for a large family with lots of hungry kids it's a great cost savings ............ They even sell MOBIL1 oil !! The "best" part is on the weekends they have "food sample booths" set-up at the ends of several aisles, maybe 10 - 15 vendors, that give out portions of their food as samples. One (as I do) can go in there starved and get semi-filled up in less than 30 minutes :p (while the Wife shops !!)

Did you ever see a movie called "Employee Of The Month" ?? It was actually filmed in a Costco (their name brand stuff is Kirkland...... that's what gave it away, seeing boxes w/names, etc.).. movie was fair to good !!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424993/
    :rolleyes:

10. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 2 2007, 05:57 AM) [snapback]453848[/snapback]</div>
    To directly address the claims:
    1. Three times nearly zero is still nearly zero. I've never had tires that leaked significant amounts of air in a normal service interval. I've had outright leaks due to nails, etc., but N2 won't help with that.
    2. Perhaps, but most of the damage is due to the external environment which is considerably harsher than environment inside the tire even when filled with straight air.
    3. It's not enough to be cooler, it has to be significantly cooler. A couple degrees isn't going to matter squat.
    4. The requirements of a jet landing and braking from 160mph are worlds apart from a Prius going 65.
    The use of vague terms like "cooler" or "more gradual loss of pressure" are what's misleading here, even if technically true. The improvement has to be enough to significantly affect the life of the tire, at least enough to pay for the costs of N2. I'm not convinced that it is.

11. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The claim that nitrogen keeps your tire pressure more consistent is actually correct. But, it has nothing to do with diffusion of air through the rubber. The reason nitrogen pressure stays more consistent than air pressure is because compressed air contains water vapor, and so it expands less predictably than nitrogen. There's a different percentage of water vapor in the air on any given day (humidity), so you never know exactly how much tire expansion you'll get from the water vapor.

Does this really matter on your daily driver? Not really.

The reason race car drivers use nitrogen in their tires is for consistency. They even "stagger" the tire pressure on those cars, making the outside tires a little fuller than the inside tires to keep the car turning inward. And speeds of 200 MPH, an eighth of an inch in tire height can make a huge difference.

Even if you do run nitrogen in your tires, you still need to check the pressure regularly. There are several other possible sources of leaks (tire/rim interface, valve, valve/rim interface and the wheel), and using nitrogen won't eliminate any of them.

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 4 2007, 02:50 PM) [snapback]455063[/snapback]</div>
    Another point about water vapor: filling your tires with dry nitrogen will do little to help if you don't remove the existing water. If you mount a tire with a liquid lubricant, especially water based lubricant, then you need to run several purge cycles with dry nitrogen to remove the lubricant and it's associated vapor. Most tire shops aren't going to do that, even if they sell you "nitrogen" (usually just air with a somewhat reduced oxygen content).

Tom

13. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never had any issues with premature tire wear or sidewall degradation (67,000 miles on the seven-year old Bridgestones on my '96 RAV4, and counting, for example)...the proponents of spending money to fill my tires with nitrogen are first going to have to convince me that there's really anything wrong with plain old air.

I'll bet that the action of a suspension with less than optimal geometry scrubs off lots more tire than a bit of nitrogen is ever going to save by "making tire pressures more consistent."

Beyond that, well, the original steel rims on my '73 Pinto aren't rusting on the inside from the 'corrosive nature' of oxygen...nearly 35 years with no problems seems like a good run to me.

Sure, if I've got an airplane and I want to do everything I can to prevent a tire fire, then nitrogen is a good idea. For our cars, it's I think a non-issue/marketing ploy.

14. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If nitrogen is so great, why aren't the tire makers recommending its use? I did a little research and found this:

Source: http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/28/Tampabay...your_tire.shtml

I am taking a weekend golf trip with some buddies, one of which is a tire engineer from Goodyear. I will get his opinion on the subject and let you know what he thinks.

15. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bgdrewsif @ Jun 3 2007, 09:21 AM) [snapback]454402[/snapback]</div>
    They provide more EV charging stations than any other business in California. Six at my local one. :)

Here we are with the Ranger EV a couple of years back.
    [​IMG]

16. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 4 2007, 07:45 PM) [snapback]455417[/snapback]</div>
    Really. I've never noticed any at our CostCo (either of them), but then this isn't California.

Dave M.

17. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Jun 5 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]455623[/snapback]</div>
    Not down at Costco here in this part (west coast) of Florida either............
    But when I was living in Connecticut I would see these type of "chargers" in the Brewster, New York TRAIN station commuter parking lots as well as many other train stations on that line...............

18. keithnteri

keithnteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jun 2 2007, 05:57 AM) [snapback]453848[/snapback]</div>
    This was a very informative article unfortunately you missed the biggest reason for using nitrogen to fill ones tires. Nitrogen does not change pressure under temperature changes so that same tire will measure 40 PSI in the dead of winter as it will after 400 miles in the Arizona summer.

19. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Keithnteri @ Jun 5 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]455777[/snapback]</div>
    :D This is ONE of the things the Tire Service Manager at Costco (Brandon, Florida) explained to me when I inquired about WHY they are using Nitrogen in the tires there ?? This was my first experience ever with "nitrogen" in tires, but as I said, that was in tires on an '03 Acura MDX, the vehicle we "traded-in" for the new '07 Prius.

20. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Keithnteri @ Jun 5 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]455777[/snapback]</div>
    Nitrogen does change pressure under temperature changes. It's a gas, and behaves exactly like any other gas (Charles's law, Boyle's law, and Gay-Lussac's law: PV=nRT - called the combined gas law). Furthermore, air is already mostly nitrogen. The real culprit is water vapor which exists naturally in air. Water vapor is a less ideal gas than air or pure nitrogen at normal tire temperatures and pressures, so it's conversion to or from liquid water produces a larger change in pressure than predicted by combined gas law. Get rid of the water and air behaves exactly like nitrogen for all practical purposes in regard to tire pressure changes.

Tom