1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Selling Nitrogen In Tires - Is It All A Lot Of Hot Air?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by FloridaWen, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Keithnteri @ Jun 5 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]455777[/snapback]</div>
    Not quite true.

Nitrogen is a gas and therefore behaves just like any other gas. Heat excites the gas molecules which causes an increase in volume. If the volume is held constant (as it is in a tire), then the pressure will increase. For more on this, see Boyle's law, Charles's Law, and Gay-Lussac's Law which together form the combined gas law.

So, while the use of nitrogen will not eliminate changes in pressure, it does minimize them. However, as previously mentioned, this is much ado about nothing unless you are driving on a track at 200 MPH.

2. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think we could probably recycle bubble wrap as a tire filler. This all sounds like b.s. to me. The effort and expense involved offers little benefit to the driver and lots of benefit to the folks selling nitrogen.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Angel Flight Pilot @ Jun 5 2007, 02:45 PM) [snapback]455870[/snapback]</div>
    Can we get that bubble wrap filled with nitrogen? :rolleyes:

Tom

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Jun 5 2007, 06:39 AM) [snapback]455623[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah... CA only, I'm afraid. No reason to install there in areas with no EVs! It'll happen. Just not right now. :(

5. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ......then one could use snake oil and do oil changes every 30000 miles :p

6. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't believe this thread is still going...

Nitrogen is great. It won't do anything for a normal car with a normal driver to improve anything, but it does work great at the drag strip to minimize pressure fluctuations due to heat. On a regular car there is no viable payback, usually tires wear out before they degrade, they gave an outside as well as an inside, and most people, believe it or not, use the pressure gauge at the gas station or tire shop to determine their tire pressure. As such, gauges are only accurate to themselves, and the 42 pounds you may have requested be put into your front tires may read 40 pounds down the road, or 44 pounds, or whatever.

If you like to futz around with nitrogen be my guest. It won't hurt anything and if you feel good about it then congratulations and have a good time.

7. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jun 7 2007, 06:29 AM) [snapback]457236[/snapback]</div>
    Part of the reason it was "started" was because Nitrogen is the ONLY "inflater" that Costco Tire Centers use........ there is no "second choice" there at Costco !!
    I also thought the results of the "discussion" about the article I attached in the initial post would be informative and interesting.......... and it they SURE were.....
    Personally, "I" would not go out and "purge" the air out of the tires on our new Prius and "re-fill" them with Nitrogen !! Now if I were (when the time comes next year or whenever?) to replace the Prius tires, and IF I choose Costco again, as I did with our Acura MDX, then I also wanted some "opinions" (which I can't say I didn't get quite a few here !!) about the Nitrogen fill. I was ALSO wondering just how "good or bad" it would work with the tire pressure sensors in the Prius ??

8. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tire pressure sensors measure pressure. Oxygen or Nitrogen will make no difference. Your post makes sense to me. :) We don't have a Costo nearby (Maine) but when I visit other states I often go and find someone nice to allow me to use their card. :D The closest thing we have is a Sam's Club and I think costo is generally much nicer.