1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Selling price for 2007 Prius without Traction Battery

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by DST CLAIRE, Nov 21, 2016.

1. DST CLAIRE

DST CLAIRE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I apologize if this question has been repeated, but needing a quicker response than my searching expertise.
    What would be the selling price for a 2007 Prius which traction battery is depleted and been in (outside) storage for about a year. Has 104,000.00 miles. Will neeed tires and the rear battery replaced.
    2K to 3K? this is NC area.

Thanks

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you getting the depleted battery? You'll need it as a core to get a new battery.

Assuming there is nothing wrong with the car, other than battery issue. It would be worth $2000 max

3. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    +1

I'd add that you'd be buying a car that you think needs only a traction battery and tires. Even if the owner is being 100% honest and that's all that was needed when it was parked a year ago, you don't truly know what it needs until you install the new battery.
    No different than any other car that is purchased non-running: you can't test drive it, you can't hear the engine run,transmission shift, you can't cycle the electrics. It's a gamble.

4. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can access the Toyota owners group wedsite to see what service dealers have performed as long as you have the vin. Chances that a 2007b saw the dealer recently are probably low but I have ruled out purchases where owners neglected to tell me what service techs told them.
    Personally I would treat it as a parts car when pricing. If this is an extra car that you could part out if you find other problems that would lessen your financial risk.
    I recently picked up a car that needed a transmission. Owner seemed very honest. Had service and diagnostic records. Toyota owners site had history from 1st owner. I took a gamble and it paid off. Probably paid about 3000 under its value.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DST,
    Are you the buyer or the seller?

As a buyer, given the risk of a non running car, I wouldn't pay more than $1,000. The only thing that is helping is the low miles.

A new replacement pack is going to be $2,700, so most buyers would want to factor that into their purchase.

6. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think there are lots of folks out there that are in the battery refurbishing business. If it is your car and you feel that the only issue is the battery, you might try to get someone to look into replacing weak cells. Might only cost you 500-1000 dollars to get a healthy vehicle that a buyer could actually road test. If you are buying, you are also competing with people who know how to fix the battery pack with two or three cells that can be purchased on eBay for $40 each. Not everyone will replace the battery with new.

I think the selling price will also be determined by how clean the car is overall. Mileage is low.

#6 Frontporch, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am assuming that the OP is thinking about selling a non-running vehicle.

The real issue is that noone really knows what is wrong with the car.
    Non-running vehicles will bring the lowest price. The buyer is taking a real risk.

Sometimes the seller is willing to spend money, in order to sell for a higher dollar amount.
    But the seller still needs to weigh whether the time and $$ is worth what they can sell the car for after the repair.
    Sometimes sellers just want the car gone and are done messing with it.

8. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If your selling put in a dealer installed traction battery, if your buying put in a dealer installed traction battery.
    07' low mileage, all it'll need is front wheel bearings and rubber.