1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Selling Used battery cells

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by pollypocket53132, Dec 23, 2021.

1. pollypocket53132

pollypocket53132 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi I put a Dr Prius Lithium Battery in my 05 a month ago. I love it and have gained a solid 8 MPG in freezing Wisconsin. The old one was still functional and the cells are sitting in boxes. I would like to sell the cells. What's the best way to do it? eBay? Not sure how much each cell weighs for shipping.

ColoradoCrow and SFO like this.
  2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think this could turn out to be a HUGE hassle and not worth the time and trouble.

The only way I would do it is if the buyer was somewhat "local" and could come to you and test the cells however he wants BEFORE paying and taking them away.

Taking them to a licensed recycling center might be a better option in the long run.

After all, how much can 16 year old cells really be worth ? And who would want them ??

3. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    #3 ammdb, Dec 23, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    ColoradoCrow likes this.
  4. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Over here in Australia, at one stage you could pick the aged modules up very cheap, now, forget it. Everyone seems to think their old cells are still worth top $$, so I've given up on my planned experiment with building a full flow module pack that used the KOH electrolyte as a coolant while keeping the modules full of electrolyte. I still think it would have been an interesting project, but to pay thousands for the used modules to try it out has resulted in me loosing some interest in the project .....

T1 Terry

5. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. Peterhans

Peterhans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you change out all 28 modules or you changed out the entire pack? How much was this and do you have part number? Thanks

7. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base