1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Semi Synthetic vs Fully Synthetic

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sumedha, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Sumedha

Sumedha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am due an oil change in my 2012 Prius and I have been using 0W-20 multi grade oil from the day I purchased it. Looking at few forums, most of them suggests using fully synthetic for Gen 3 Prius. My ODO is around 90K+ KM and I am wondering whether I could change to Fully Synthetic 0W-20 (either from Mobil or Caltex) ?

Some say that you are not supposed to use low viscosity oil when you are almost 100K KMs. I am not sure whether there is truth in it.

Is there anyone who has moved from multi grade to fully synthetic ? I need to know whether it's safe or can it cause some clogging ?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Multi grade only describes that the oil has multiple temperature ranges, ie: 0 to 20, 5 to 20, 10 to 30, and so on. If you're using 0W20, it very likely is a full synthetic: such low viscosity most always is. As long as your oil changes are not extremely few and far between, I think synthetic is overrated; if an oil meets the spec, it meets the spec.

Regardless of mileage, switching to a thicker oil might worth considering, for engine longevity. I'm not really sure. In other countries around the world Toyota recommends 0W20 but also says thicker oils are ok. Perhaps try 5W30 for an oil change and see how it goes, especially for mpg?

FuelMiser likes this.
  3. Sumedha

Sumedha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do every 5K service at the local Toyota dealer and they say 0W-20 that they use is not synthetic When I purchased my car, it had synthetic 0W-20 and the engine running was pretty smooth. At the immediate next service they filled it up with 10W-30 which felt to me like I am pulling some dead weight..! From that time on wards I was on 0W-20 mineral oil (as the local toyota dealer tells me). Last service I had to use 5W-30 since they were out of 0W-20 stocks. Again there was a noticeable difference (bad) in the pulling power as well as on the fuel economy.

This is what the local dealer uses.

[​IMG]

4. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    m.wynn likes this.
  5. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In the US, 0w-20 is always(?) synthetic, and the manual calls for 0w-20 synthetic. What does your manual say?

6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My manual calls for 0W-20, but doesn't specifically require synthetic. That viscosity is usually synthetic in the US---although I understand Honda sells a semi-synthetic 0W-20.

Is that a semi-synthetic in the photo? What standards do they claim it meets besides SN? What country does it come from?

Incidentally, I haven't seen engine oil sold in that type of container in many years.

#6 CR94, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  7. Sumedha

Sumedha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's from Japan as per the dealer and compliance with SN standards. They neither offer fully synthetic nor recommend them for any of the hybrids, including the 2016 model, despite what the manual says.

8. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It appears in your part of the world, Toyota recommends 5K mile interval using the oil you show in your picture. In North America, we can take advantage of 10K mile oil change interval IF we use full synthetic 0W-20, 5K mile otherwise. I'd just continue to follow the service schedule and oil grade you have been using all along. Don't overthink it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see no value in semi-synthetic oils. If you're going to use synthetic, use full-synthetic. At most you're just saving a few pennies.

10. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does your manual specifically state it must be full synthetic for the 10K intervals? Mine does not---although we might assume effectively requiring synthetic was their intention, given the rarity of non-synthetic 0W-20 in the USA.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No it does not say anything about "full synthetic" or not. My 2013 Owners Manual simply says, "0W-20 is the recommended viscosity" and "ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil." To the point about the 5K mile oil change interval, the Warranty & Maintenance Guide (separate booklet) says, "If 0W-20 oil WAS NOT used at the last oil change, replace engine oil and filter" for the 15,000 mile, 25,000 mile and so on services, implying to me at least that unless you use 0W-20, you should change at 5,000 mile intervals. Thus, oil change interval is based simply on viscosity used at the last oil change. Thanks for calling me out to clarify. I will be more careful in the future with my statements about oil change service!

CR94 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. prius4-me

prius4-me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    For what it is worth, the User Guide for my 2012 says 0w-20 is for best cold weather starting (-20F) and best fuel economy. There is no mention of it being the best choice for reducing engine wear. Since the oil film of 5w-30 is slightly thicker, that oil should do better to reduce wear and still have very good cold weather starting. You can always use an oil analysis lab to confirm the wisdom of whatever you decide.