1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sensible Gasoline Boycott

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SteveS, Oct 28, 2005.

1. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I really think that you and I are arguing over the difference between a circle and an ellipse...

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Howabout all Prius owners siphon gas at night from SUV owner's month?

:ph34r:

3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not really. You are advocating trying to subvert market forces to prevent Exxon from selling it's gas. You can't accomplish that unless you plan to boycott Exxon and reduce consumption by an amount equal to their production. If consumers continue to consume the same amount of gas, then they will still be buying Exxon's gas. It will just be bought from someone else.

That's a whole lot different from driving past an Exxon station to the one down the street because the one down the street is charging $0.20 less per gallon. That's exactly the way free markets work and that will lower Exxon's price.

You propose not buying gas from Exxon, even if they lower the price or even give it away for free. Since gasoline is a limited resource and other oil companies wouldn't be able to make of the difference, they would have to buy gasoline from Exxon to meet demand.

But lets say, for the sake of argument, that you succeeded in preventing Exxon from selling their gas. That would be a temporary effect at best, because prices at other gas stations would sky rocket and the pumps would run dry. Why? Because without Exxon, the oil industry doesn't have enough gas to meet the demand. So, when Shell starts selling gas for $7 a gallon and the gas stations start running out of gas, how long do you think it would take for consumers to decide to go across the street to that Exxon station that has full tanks and cheaper gas? And do you really think Exxon would be still selling their gas at $2.59 at that point?

It's horribly unrealistic.

So, go to the station with the lowest price. That will keep the higher priced companies in line. Along with that, reduce your demand. That's the recipe for success.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

i agree. people will naturally go to the cheaper gas station. i believe most brand loyalty in the gasoline business is dead. eventually the higher-priced station will drop prices to match other stations. as far as i know, most gas stations are actually required to keep prices at or below the levels of their competitors. don't quote me on that, it's been years since i knew anything about gas station business practices.

here in the med center area of town, gas prices are all the same no matter what company is selling. nearer to my house, they're higher, but still all the same. across town, same thing. what mediates prices is locality.

5. Mystery Squid

Actually, I think the press has done a good job of doing precisely what is being suggested. Newspapers everywhere are printing the "Exxon 9B Profit!", you can bet that headline alone is going to cause many people to drive by the local Exxon station who are now thinking, "greedy bastards!" notwithstanding any rationale.

6. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How is organizing a boycott subversion of market forces? Consumers are the market force! We have the power to vote with our dollars.

I guess my base point is that we as consumers have to act to do something. We have to reduce consumption as well, but I think it's horribly unrealistic for everyone to just drop their cars and go out and buy Prius. I can, because I make a good living - not everyone does. So, there has to be something that can be done to bring attention to the issue.

I don't REALLY realistically expect prices to drop. I expect to draw attention to the issue. I expect us to do whatever little we can to send the message, instead of just coming onto message boards and griping about gas prices.

How much longer before people are having to choose between eating and going to work so they have the chance to make that choice next week?

Libertarians believe that it is the responsibility of consumers to regulate the market. But, how exactly, short of everyone going upside down into car loans to buy Prius, is anybody going to be able to send the "stop raping us" message to oil companies?

Doesn't it bother you that price per barrel just went up again, after a production increase? Don't you feel the need to do something?

Maybe if you're independently wealthy and can afford to help people buy Prius, you can reduce consumption. But mass transit in this country sucks.

Urban Sprawl is out of control.

So what else can we do, other than a boycott, which everyone can do? Sell our houses to nobody and move to cities? Spend trillions of dollars on actually building decent mass transit systems? Give people free Prius? Not realistic by a long shot.

Carpooling is an idea, sure, but there's no incentive for people to do it. Plus, the chances of people living around each other and working at the same place are pretty small. Sure, it worked great in DC when I worked there, but almost everyone headed in that direction is packed into a 10 square mile zone, with most of them being in huge single-agency buildings. Not the same everywhere.

So, please tell me, does anybody have any suggestions as to what else can we REALISTICALLY do other than boycott?

Or does everyone just want to say that a boycott won't work, while offering no suggestions (other than population consolidation or mass abandonment of high consumption vehicles - both of which aren't really feasable) that are more effective?

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If we were targeting BP or Citgo or 76 or Shell, I'd be in on it. But I don't use Exxon or Mobil, mostly due to location. That, plus the one lonely Mobil around here I tried a while back didn't seem to work very well MPG-wise. So they made all their profit without me anyway...

8. Mystery Squid

Nothing.

Society has become too complacent. We're easily sedated by television, computers, videogames, priuschat.com ( :ph34r: ) , etc. No one is going to start any serious rabble-rousing until it REALLY starts to hurt us in some way shape or form. I really cringe at saying this, but I think we've enjoyed relatively low gas prices for many, many, years (we became an SUV society right?), such that now, its time to pay the oil piper... We only started to bitch when gas approached/exceeded the $3/gal mark, what does that say? That our tolerance of gas prices is pretty damn high.

9. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I hope gas companies gouge us even more.... say $5/gal. If they can sustain it.

Image....
    more people working closer to home.

stop cruising around... I saw 5 prii over the weekend crusing the mountain roads near my house within 30 minutes because they find Prius cost less to cuise now... :rolleyes:

more people taking public transportation.

more people moving to more fuel efficient cars... less gas guzzers.... :wub:

My point being... why the hate? This is a free market with the oil companies. Like many said, changing gas brands would not stop the market demand... we have to change the demand first.

If the point is getting cheap gas, new oil refinaries need to be built. The problem is no one wants them in their backyard.

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I take it large numbers of the populace were FORCED to buy gas at Enron stations, that was priced much higher than competitors, Right ?

Because otherwise, this thread is nonsensical.

11. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The only ones hurt would be the local Exxon dealer. If the stations were boycotted Exxon would find other channels for their product. The locals cannot exist on sales of milk and eggs or whatever else they sell. I am pretty sure that the locals make out okay whenever there is a shortage.

The oil companies really can't afford to store gasoline or any other oil product for very long so they try to set the price at the shelf clearing price when supply = demand. If people don't pay the price then it will come down.

Higher prices are incentives for the companies to get more oil through whatever means.

It acts as a fair rationing system since people will use less so there will be gas available for whoever really needs it. The companies make more profits but we still all have the gas we need.

We have seen a lot of consolidation within the industry which is usually an indiation that the industry overall is usually not that profitable.

Finally higher prices encourage investment in alternative energy sources.