1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sentinel-6 Michael Freilich to join Copernicus Sentinel-6/Jason-CS

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Sep 6, 2020.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/sea-level-mission-will-also-act-as-a-precision-thermometer-in-space

. . .
    The GNSS-RO instrument's receivers track navigation satellite radio signals as they dip below, or rise from, the horizon. They can detect these signals through the vertical extent of the atmosphere – through thick clouds – from the very top and almost all the way to the ground. This is important, because weather phenomena emerge from all layers of the atmosphere, not just from near Earth's surface where we experience their effects.

"Tiny changes in the radio signal can be measured by the instrument, which relate to the density of the atmosphere," added Ao. "We can then precisely determine the temperature, pressure, and humidity through the layers of the atmosphere, which give us incredible insights to our planet's dynamic climate and weather."
    . . .

At last, an independent way to check RSS data. Some climate change deniers have been using RSS data and curious software to report different results than pretty much anyone else. But this method of refractive measurements will provide slices, almost like a CAT scan of what is going on in the atmosphere.

Bob Wilson

tochatihu likes this.
  2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I had heard of similar things being done with ground-based GPS receivers.

Mid orbital altitudes now have many highly accurate clocks 'talking about themselves'. So there are many signal sources available.

==
    BTW how does sat nav work in a flat Earth system? Baffled I am.