1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Separate amp under the pass seat?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by robby3, Apr 18, 2011.

1. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was cleaning the car the other day and found an enclosure under the passengers seat with a part that looks like an audio amplifier. Do the cars equipped with the standard NAV headunit (non JBL) have an external amplifier or what is that part for ?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is where the JBL equipped cars have their amplifier. Are you sure you do not have a JBL system?

3. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for your reply. Well, it's an EU car but the JBL System is also an upgrade here. The JBL logo is missing on the headunit. Also I haven't found a subwoofer in the car (so far).

4. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok, my car's audio setup is the one that is described as "Korea version with Nav". Seems that in Europe (at least the cars in Switzerland) with the Nav screen (non-JBL) come with a small additional amp. But this guy only powers the two front door speakers. Very strange setup, as the front dash speakers are powered directly by the HU. There is a y-junction were the same wires go into the amp. Therefore it's a high level amp that is used to provide more power to the woofers in the door. Honestly, I'm not a fan of this way Toyota added more bass :(

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting... thanks for the update.

6. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This setup is for 8 speakers audio, doesn't matter if OEM NAV installed.

7. robby3

robby3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For further reference I have included a pic of the amp and the schematic wiring of the speakers and amp. I want to wire in a JBL MS-8 but have problems locating the L109 junction connector.

Attached Files: