1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Serious Engine Knock less than 4000 miles brand new, done with Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mwok86, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In another video on youtube it sounded the same. The guy obviously has it frequently enough he predicted easily before taking the vid that it would happen and it did. My wife had it happens the one time in ours, says the video sounded like that but admits it was so long ago she's not sure.

Where is Bob's poll? And don't be impolite with the answer :D

2. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's the link:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii.../86722-1-8l-starting-rattle-knock-events.html

with my best regards! (polite enough?)

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I responded to the poll, and I have never experienced this. I did experience maybe a handful of times on my '88 CRX-Si, a very rough engine start that went away after a few seconds, with all occurrences between 300,000 and 400,000 miles.

This Prius rough engine start has me tempted to try to create it by moving the car at night and shutting it off in the garage before it completes the initial warmup cycle, then seeing what happens the next morning.

5. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FWIW on another vehicle of mine years ago in, I think cold weather, I once started it up and drove it a couple of car lengths then later on went back to it and it started really rough. I had assumed that it was running very rich for a few seconds based on my earlier start without it being properly warmed up but that was a pure guess and it never recurred. I recall more a shuddering type thing than knocking but my memory is crap and it was years ago :)

6. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I noticed a drop in mpg when using Shell V-Power (the UK high octane one) compared to Normal Shell Unleaded, not worth the extra cost IMO.

7. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, all,

I thought I'd let you in on another thread that some of you may have overlooked. The first post is by a Toyota tech as indicated immediately under his username. I know the noise some owners experience is far longer than one second, but this info may begin to explain what may be going on & there may be a TSB for it by this time (his post was from back in June). Here's the link to the other thread. I hope it works.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...nocking-noise-startup-there-may-hope-yet.html

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Sure sounds like fouled spark plugs. It -might- be bad coil packs, but that remains to be seen. First guess for me is spark plugs. Especially when several owners reported it -after- they moved the car without warming it up AND it "fixed itself" after they either reved the engine or warmed it up. Start it up and shut it down will cause some fuel to be left in the combustion chamber. Start it again some time later and it's running -very- rich.

Yes, you CAN foul iridium plugs. You just have to try hard enough. Been there, done that.

Oh, and yes, one or two cylinders not firing WILL sound like the engine is toast! It WILL NOT damage the engine!

9. chip_designer

chip_designer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    IV

why don't you turn on the heater, keep your car warm.

10. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You know FWIW I read in my manual today it says some knocking during heavy acceleration or up inclines is normal and ok. Strange. Anyway, I realize the knocking mentioned here and elsewhere is start-up knocking.

11. kevinwhite

kevinwhite Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I disagree - it sounds more like the valve gear before it gets fully lubricated. You can hear the knock come and go very much as it would when the tappets rotate (they are usually arranged to rotate to even out wear).

kevin

12. JDiver

JDiver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Holy smokes, man, I am a noob + here, but I have a prescription before you actually do cause damage to your Prius: take a few calming, deep breaths and "RTFM*".

*Read the "flaming" manual.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Or, read the fine manual. :p

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wondering if it could also be a VVT issue? That is, cold start the VVT position valve may stick. Some VVT motors are especially sensitive to oil viscosity especially when cold

1 person likes this.
  15. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No way valve gear causes violent knocking, me thinks.

People had experienced this knocking after starting the Prius and moving it a few feet (no knocking), stop the ICE, then restart, then knocking happens. You'd think the valve gear's not lubricated the 1st time, not the 2nd time.

16. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it's due to VVT in cold oil, I'd imagine it would happen to many cars too, not just he Prius genIII, especially those with "thicker" oils. But no, it only happens to genIII with 0W20 oil, the thinnest oil I've ever heard?

17. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah 0w synthetic should be able the easiest oil possible to get going when cold. And these are not Alaskan temperatures, I had the knocking in July, so it was way above freezing.

18. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unbelievably, we had knocking this morning, 9k after first event. Will update in the poll thread.

19. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it's vvt or poor lub you'd think it'll happen every morning. But in your case it happened 9k apart, just enough carbon accumulation in between, I think. Once the carbon deposits are "coughed" off by the knocking, it'll probably last another 9k.

Maybe you're a good candidate to test this "German tune-up" technique? Floor it once in a while and see if this knocking comes back again 9k later?

20. mwok86

mwok86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

That is EXACTLY what it sounded like. I shut it off after a few seconds. On the second start, it came back but "transitioned" into a smoother engine after a couple of seconds.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.