1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Serious Engine Knock less than 4000 miles brand new, done with Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mwok86, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fan boys talking rubbish.

2. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel your pain. Especiall your hard earned money ending up with a Prius that is just not up to your standard. When my Prius had the same knock (so violently it rocked the car back and forward) I thought the car is going to die. It happened twice and then no more after that. However, the two times that did happen I felt the same was as you did. A lot of swearing and a lot of unanswered questions. After seeing your post and all the fanboys being on your backside I just want you to know I am on your side. The Prius was such a badly cheaply made car that I had to get rid of it.

Unfortunately I stayed in the Toyota family (Lexus) and some other cheap or bad build quality still exsists. I changed my cars and will never go back to Prius 3 ever again. It is a rip off in so many fronts. The Prius 2 is a much better build car. Not as technically advanced but if you buy one second hand now it is much better value for money.

3. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There has to be a reason why this happens to some but not all of our cars.

I have never had it happen, and i never have shut my car off while the ICE is in it's warm up stage, i can not think of one time when i shut the car down with the ICE running.

I can understand some of you guys being upset, but to call the Prius a rip off is a little much. Every car has it's problems. i do think Toyota has to spend less in alot of areas in order to keep the price down and build the hybrid parts. I bought the car because the Prius has always been one of the top cars for dependability and the best mpg for a five seater car, and so far it has delivered on both. But the car is far from perfect.

4. concertinajohnnyboy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm sorry to hear this. I've never ever had a problem with my 2010 Prius III V. It runs great, no rattles of any type, and is professionally serviced at a Toyota dealer. I hope you find an answer.

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would be more than happy to have a discussion with you or anyone else about why it takes more than 5,000 miles to have buildup of carbon sufficient enough to cause engine knocking in a modern engine (any buildup that would cause a condition the driver would notice would be significant)...IF you weren't so arrogant and demanding that I provide backup to support a very simple statement that any mechanic or engineer would agree with.

Where's your proof? How do you back up your assertions? Your experience with a 10-15 year old Honda Civic is completely worthless and meaningless to the topic at hand.

In short sir, you can stick it up your poop-hole.

That is all.

6. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

That's all you got? Be honest, sir, at least to yourself, that you're really not quite happy. Your sincerity in discussing this thread is seriously damaged by your swearing and so I don't think your opinions matter any more, to me at least. Good bye and may I suggest you go see a shrink ASAP, you need help.

7. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

Does not sound nice...
    I have a Prius 2010 since Sept 2009, with almost 20.000km on it and it never happened. I have started it at low temperatures (-5C or less) in the past winter and it never happened.
    I drive the car always in ECO for better control of gas pedal while in town, but I do floor it and drive it fast (150km/h at least) sometimes when hitting the highway to keep the "engine fit". :)
    PS: *always* use the recommended octane as per Toyota User's Manual and never anything different (if I remember correctly that would be 95 for Germany - octane ratings are consistent for most EU, I might be wrong for UK).

8. lolder

lolder New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's pretty clear that this is a malfunction, rare and intermittent. If it happens to you twice in a few thousand miles, you probably don't believe that. If that happened to me, I would take it to the dealer at least for documentation that it occurred even if it can't be reproduced.

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    AFAIK nobody can reproduce this predictably.

This morning I took the car cold from garage backed it out of driveway, let engine start, and I blipped the throttle fairly hard to put it back up the driveway to get some fuel in the ICE then immediately shut it down. Temps were at about 30-32. I went back three hours later (definitely fully cold by then I'd say) and no knocking. I have no idea what causes this safe it appears to be when the car is started after a long sit.

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Poop is a swear word now? I guess I'm the one who needs help.

+1

11. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The thing about taking to dealer is you'll blow some time doing it. I guess you could call the service department and have them make a note. If it happens once in a blue moon it's immaterial anyway and if it becomes repeatable and frequent, by then you'll likely have a chance to show the dealer anyway. All of us have gobs of powertrain warranty left anyway so at this point for me it's truly of zero concern. And for the record I am guessing this will never be a problem of any significance; assuming my car doesn't get totaled in some manner I expect it to go for many many years (even if I'm not the owner).

12. Craigmri

Craigmri New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Been reading this thread for days and guess what happened this morning when I pulled our 2010 III out of the garage?.......Once the ICE started I experienced about 3 or 4 seconds of loud knocking from the engine then smoothed out and quieted down to normal.......Uuugh!

Craig

13. greenmymac

greenmymac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I experianced this for the first time today... Scared the crap out of me.. I posted a thread about it and then found this post! My car was parked in the garage, it was about 70 degrees outside and the car had been parked for about 20 hours. I turned the car off after the sound, then about a min later turned it back on and it did for about a few seconds. Im thinking about going to the dealership and showing them that Youtube video and tell them that is what mine is doing. Should I do that?

The only work I had done on the car is the lighted door sills and the car is at 1100 miles..

Also under the front end about a foot in (See pic) its feels that the cover is loose... like I can push it up, it seems like its not fully attached. Is that normal?

got the picture off this site and highlighted the area

[​IMG]

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Man.....I want a Thomas Edison generator!

15. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey.....can't you guys recognize a "troll"? Go away, you looney toon!

16. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with you, I would just have them diagnose it next time you're in for an oil change, they'll say "nothing was found" nut then at least you'll be in the computer...

17. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes tell them and show them the video. A lot of dealers don't want to do warranty work so if you have this "rough start when cold" problem they will go out and start the car and say "well we don't see anything wrong". If you call Toyota they will probably tell you they have never heard of it before even though it has been reported many times.

When I did the first oil change I discovered my car was missing 5 of the 6 bolts from the front cover (just forward of the red circle on your picture) and the last one was only finger tight. None of the covers ever feel really tight because they mostly use push pin fasteners but you should have them checked.

18. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want to know how greenmymac's car is being held on its side and whether that's bending the frame or not to be on its side like that ;)

19. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's a special lift, when they do an oil change they can turn it completely over and the old oil comes out the fill hole. Makes it easy to get to the filter too. ;)

20. greenmymac

greenmymac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I have an appointment tomorrow... Im going to show them the Youtube video, have them check the cover on the bottom and have them fix the lighted door sill they installed that is not secured properly...Sighhhhh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.