1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Serious Engine Knock less than 4000 miles brand new, done with Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mwok86, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a conspiracy.

2. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree it's unacceptable, but I'll not be purposely forcing it to happen just to video tape it (and potentially causing damage). In fact, I'm reasonably confident that I can keep it from happening ever again. It's not that difficult to avoid a cold-restart.

I have no interest in hurting a car I am very happy with just to "pile drive Toyota's nice person into the ground" :eek:

3. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It does make me wonder how life-shortening this phenomenon is to the long-term viability of the engine, and can we go back to the official thread about this that starts out with less of a bitchfest? ;-)

4. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yep, I agree. But the cynical side of me says -

We need more threads on this topic, so that continuity of ideas are spread out in multiple threads on the same topic so that, perhaps, ideas and suggestions are lost in the noise. Good job, moderators! :rolleyes: While we're on this topic, shouldn't this topic, at some point, be moved to the technical section? Isn't this a technical issue?

Oh, and for those of you that have taken pot shots at me just because I'm a newbie in posting, doesn't mean I haven't been reading for some time...and probably know a lot more about cars than many on this board. At least based on some of the absurd postings I have read the past 6-8 months, i'd say this is a pretty safe assumption.

Sadly, from people that I know that (also) have a Prius, this site has garnered a reputation of being full of malcontents, trolls and/or uninformed owners.

But hey, keep it up..."pile drive Toyota into the ground" if that's what you all think needs to be done to get this issue (which I believe is real) resolved.

:focus:

5. bshack

bshack New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does the Prius use a timing belt or a timing chain? Sounds like it could be a tension problem with a belt or chain. Maybe the tension for the chain or belt comes from a hydraulic tension unit. Lack of hydraulic pressure would certainly cause a problem.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People are taking shots at you because you come across like an nice person. :) You're receiving exactly what you're are fishing for so I see nothing wrong here.

1 person likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be a tooth slipping on the chain?

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    +1

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I shouldn't have done a low-blow at Toyota like I did. I just hope the problems get resolved in a timely manner and that people are happy with their Priuses.

10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Others have mentioned this theory. But if the timing chain slipped a tooth wouldn't it stay there? and if so it would never run correctly, or maybe not at all. We don't see that, once the car smooths out it runs fine.

It could be related to cam timing having to do with the VVT-i system but I don't understand how that would be temperature related in the way this problem is.

I think at this time the only thing I have read that explains all of the symptoms is the "left over fuel in the intake system" theory.

11. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    its the oil. 10k oil change interval is a bad f-ing idea

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Please refrain from spreading misinformation as to the cause of rough engine at startup syndrome.

13. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    quoted for nonsense. It may be oil related (though almost certainly not) but has nothing at all to do with a 10k oil interval. 10k on synthetic oil is pedestrian, many cars do it and have been for years.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. Oil change interval had nothing to do with GM's "Piston Slap" issues in the early 2000s either.

15. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What do you think I'm "fishing for"? Please elaborate since you seem to be able to read minds?

16. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wrong. Do your homework.

That said, and based on the videos I've seen on this issue...it's not "piston slap". But the viscosity and frequency with which you change your oil can accelerate the onset of piston slap noise.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I am not wrong. Oil change interval did not cause the GM piston slap issue. Poor design implemented on a massive scale did. I don't care how often I changed the oil on my GM cars and trucks, they all had the issue to some extent. Friends in the car club tried every remedy GM recommended and the problem failed to go away. I ran a GM LSx-based car club for years and am not new to the problem.

18. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry, but you are wrong.

You said that "oil changes had nothing to do with GM's piston slap" problem. The inference was that oil changes had no impact or bearing on this problem. That would be wrong. This statement says nothing about what the origin, or "cause" of the problem.

It's well documented that frequent oil changes in these GM cars reduces, or even eliminates the onset of piston slap.

Great, glad to hear you ran a car club.

19. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL you're one of those guys huh? You have to win by semantics? I stand by my earlier statement regarding the image you present on this forum. Good day.

20. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Everyone had their fun? Yes? Good. Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.