1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Serious hesitation on Camry Hybrid

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by zo6tosv, Oct 19, 2007.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with the majority here, the lag you speak of is there, the way to minimise it is open the throttle slower, but I can see how it was induced and I can feel your frustration. What is even worse is when you floor the car from a standing start, the whole thing hesitates then full power arrives lifting the nose, the front tyres skid on the stop line causing the overly agressive traction control to kick in and all the power is again off then back again. Meanwhile that car you were trying to turn out in front of is bearing down on you. The saving grace is if you manage your own traction using just enough throttle the Prius (and I assume Camry Hybrid) will bolt out of the hole without a pause accelerating briskly, suprisingly so.

Yep, Toyota Hybrids are a little different and some things aren't like a conventional ICE only car, but that's the price of cutting edge and being an early adopter.

I hope Toyota are working on the problem, although the more you drive a Prius (or other Toyota Hybrids) the better it becomes.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ah. trac can be a huge problem. the good thing is, the new systems toyota has are incredibly better. my parents rx400h doesn't slip on anything. they modified the system even more for the GS and i think the 600hl has sport, ice, and off modes.

i love my prius. sure... the suspension isn't what it could be.. and my 04 isn't close to the 06+... i don't really notice the hesitations too much anymore. i'm glad i invested into an idea that has helped fuel a more efficient engine system. the psd http://eahart.com/prius/psd/ is an awesome way to transfer power. as we keep developing more efficient electricmotors, these systems will get a lot faster. that lag will dissapear.