1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Serious issues with my prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by urs70, Sep 21, 2011.

1. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If the car has been to a body shop (as you said in your first post), do make sure that the radiator fans have been installed and hooked up so that they're sucking air through the radiator.

It's easy for a body shop to screw it up, and this is the kind of thing that could cause overheating over a long distance.

2. urs70

urs70 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok. So under this scenario it's possible for the prius to run with low oil pressure for 40-50 miles before seizing up and once it cools down it will be ready for another 40-50 mile run. Is that understanding correct?

But another thing that makes it complicated my last oil change was at least 2000 miles before the accident. No problems till then. But possibly somebody in the service center filled the oil during the collision repairs.

3. urs70

urs70 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The service manager told me all of those systems are working fine. But I guess I'll have to go there and check it myself. They don't seem to really give any consideration to what I tell them.

4. urs70

urs70 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well. The service dept. finally admits there is something wrong with the car. I guess that's progress.

During our last discussion, they said they are not sure what the problem is. It's something they have never seen. But they promise me it's not the cooling system.

I guess I'll just have to wait it out.

On a side note, I am just realizing how comfortable Prius was. I just don't get the same level of comfort with any of the rentals/loaners for my long drives.

5. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you able to drive around for like 30 miles then go to the dealership to get a mechanic with TechStream in the car? Or would this seem like something that when you power off/on the car the symptoms go away again? I guess, can you get the problem to occur if you break up the longer drive, but only for 10-15 minutes when you do? They should easily be able to monitor systems while driving, and IF any trouble lights come on then they can see what state the car is in. I can see the dealership not sending their mechanic out on an hour+ car ride, unless you're willing to pay them (although, I would make sure to be in the car with them).

6. urs70

urs70 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    UPDATE: Got the car back from the dealer again (for the 4th time). The service dept. told me that the problem was the transmission and they have replaced it with a new one. That seems a bit strange but a 60 mile test drive this afternoon at high speeds didn't bring any serious issues.

Occasionally the car seems to jerk lightly when shifting between different modes, that I didn't feel earlier. Could this be due to the new transmission?

Otherwise glad to be back on my prius. Hope it doesn't throw any new problems.

7. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    My car jerks lightly sometimes when the engine shuts off during a glide (car moving at speed) or at a stop sign. I think that's normal.

Prius seems always to develop strange problems after a serious accident. Hope this finally fixed your problem. Good luck! :)

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    By transmission (which the Prius doesn't really have) did they mean the entire HSD?

9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1.

You don't actually have a transmission in that they just unbolt it and replace it. You have a planetary gear set and it is essentially all one big jumble. So to fix any part of it, they replace the entire thing.

Does your inverter cover look new? Do all the shiny metal bits under the inverter look new? What exactly does your sales receipt say? Do you have a dealer that shows:

Replaced HSD Unit: $4000
    Under Warranty: -($4000)
    Total: $0

or do you just get a

"REPLACED TRANSMISSION"

line?

10. urs70

urs70 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have the following lines on the invoice:

Replaced the Transmission Assembly

Qty FP Number Description
    1 30900-47040 Transaxle Assy.H
    6 00289-ATFWS World Standard AU
    1 00272-SLLC2 Super Long Life C
    100% Compatible with Toy. Long Life2

As per the HSD unit The bottom cover definitely looks old. I can not be sure about the top side. It look slightly dusty. But it has been over a week since the replacement and I looked to check it only today.

11. urs70

urs70 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Forgot to mention something. The dealer did mention the replacement part was $4000. But I am a bit skeptical of anything they say at this point. In the invoice they just mentioned Internal on the cost section.

12. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    transaxles cost that much. and while the prius doesn't have a traditional "transmission" in the sense that it doesn't change gears, it still has to have a mechanism to transfer power from the engine to the wheel.

13. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Looks like they changed the transaxle and $4000 seems not too far off. The so called "HSD unit" is the inverter (part of the HSD system) which was not changed but should be good.

14. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1

The reason I ask is I have heard of some dealership misrepresenting the inverter as the "transmission" and when they replace the "transmission", they replace the inverter, not the transaxle.

It appears you really did get a whole new transaxle... I think you can count with your fingers and toes the number of people who have actually had a new transaxle put in, because failure is so rare. I am curious as to the root cause. With the transaxle out of there I am guessing they just junked it, but it would be nice for them to figure out what the underlying problem was.

With this new transaxle, I would suggest you drain and refill around 30K miles from now just like if it were new.

15. urs70

urs70 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good news is I finally made my 200 mile weekly commute successfully on my prius. Looks like the trans axle indeed was the problem. But I still have a few concerns.

1. I read a little bit about the hybrid components. So the "transaxle" actually contains MG1, MG2 and planetary gears. Right? So is it covered by the hybrid warranty of 8yrs/100k miles? The dealer mentioned something about one year warranty. The invoice doesn't specify anything. Should I followup to make sure I am not short-changed on the warranty?
    2. I am still not clear how the trans axle can fail only when continuously driven for about 40 miles. Any thoughts on that?
    3. I feel the wind shield wiper fluid spray has been weakened. The liquid barely makes it above the resting position of the wiper blades. Can somebody with Gen II prius tell me how far the wiper liquid gets sprayed? I am just trying to make sure it's really an issue and not my imagination.

Thanks.

16. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The windshield liquid covers the windshield when used. The spray ends need adjustment! Hal

17. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The spray nozzles can also get clogged up with dirt, etc. Take a needle and insert in small openings to check and clean. You can also use the needle to help adjust the spray direction.

1 person likes this.
  18. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good question on warranty. trans is typically covered as a hybrid component, 10/150, under CARB warranty. Replacement parts have a 1 year/unlimited mileage warranty. CARB makes warranty questions extremely difficult. Call Toyota, or write to them, and try to get sometime in writing.

19. urs70

urs70 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for all the help. You guys rock:rockon:

I didn't find a needle handy. But wiping the nozzles with a paper towel has improved the wiper liquid spray. I'll try adjusting the angle some other time.

Regarding the warranty the dealer assured me Toyota will honor either new vehicle warranty or the replacement warranty whichever occurs later. But I plan to talk to Toyota as well.

The dealer also told me the trans-axle is a re-manufactured one. I have noticed the warranty does specify re-manufactured parts may be used. Hope that doesn't change anything.