1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seriously considering Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by dulino, Nov 5, 2017.

1. dulino

dulino New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    all! Newbie here.

I️ currently drive a 2011 Subaru Legacy. My commute is 40 miles each way. My employer has chargers in the parking lot. I️ can get a discount on ezpass and HOV lanes if I️ trade it for Prius Prime.

NJ has mild winters and I️ work from home on snow days anyway. My concern with Prius Prime would be related to handling in wet conditions and keeping up with the traffic on the highway.

The other question I️ have is do I️ need an adapter for the parking lot charger? Are they standard?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

iPhone ?

RCO likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

if you are not happy with wet handling of the oem tyres, you may have to replace them. the car isn't a problem.
    chargers are standard, except for tesla proprietary charging, but the aren't likely in your parking lot.
    no problem keeping up with traffic, but take a test drive for yourself. it likely accelerates slower than your subie.
    currently $3,500. rebate on prime, all the best!(y)

RCO and dulino like this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can always change the tires if you're not happy in the wet. I haven't had experience with the stock tires (I've only had non-plug-in Prii) but I remember the 2005 Prius had the crappiest stock tires I've ever experienced. They've gotten better.

No adapter needed. All Primes come with the J1772 charging socket standard. The Prime will come with a 110V charging cable to charge at home or anywhere with a household outlet. Level 2 (220/240V) charging stations will fit your Prime's socket.

RCO likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure all primes come with the same tyres.

5. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Prius can keep up with traffic, at least compared with other 4 cylinders. When they don't, it's because of the driver, not because of the car. Even though the hybrid battery gets utilized more in city driving, I think the Prius is a very good highway vehicle.

RCO, jerrymildred and dulino like this.
  6. At two dealerships within the state, I found that the Premium had Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 (w00t), but the Advanced had Toyo Nanocrappers (Wth)

#6 Deleted member 111882, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2017
    pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as reported, Prime is excellent driving car, so unless you have special needs I do not think that is any issue there.
    You want to focus on interior (no spare tire, less cargo space) which is mostly true for all plug-ins. Make sure you want to plug-in, sounds like you do. If so Prime is good for incentives and fed/state tax credits, quite inexpensive with the incentives.

RCO likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    ..... plus - if you have a 240 Outlet at home, there's an electrical engineer in the Cali Bay Area thatmods the stock 110v portable charging appliance so that you can use it on 120v as well as 240v.
    We used to keep a separate set of winter tires/wheels for our Prius when we had property in Montana. Bought them at Big O and come late November we just change out all four until spring.
    Welcome !

Tideland Prius likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah so I'm a little unclear on this. In theory, one could use a 240V portable charging cable instead of an EVSE and plug directly into a 240V outlet to charge the car?

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Yep! Phil changes out the PC board with his own design & installs a switching power supply. The one we have for our Leaf will even run on 208 .
    EVSE Upgrade - Low-Cost EV Charging Solutions
    His other project is buying Salvage Teslas & putting them back into running condition. Quite a talent. If you search through the PC archives you can see a beautiful 35ish mile plug-in that he made out of the genII many years ago with its own thermal management system.
    I think his PC id is pEEf iirc.

#10 hill, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    RCO and Tideland Prius like this.