1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SERIOUSLY!? Sold the 2005 Prius ....what we bought instead

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gobux, Feb 21, 2011.

1. gobux

gobux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sold my 2005 Driftwood Pearl, base package Prius.

The warranty on it was up, and I decided to sell it because of all the horror stories I've heard on here. I just owed too much to be messing around with that.

So, we decided that if we could keep the same payment (12k budget basically) with a brand new car with a longer warranty, it'd be worth it.

The only stipulation was that We have an infant with a rather large carseat and the passenger needed enough leg room (like the Prius had)

Test drove the following:

2011 Nissan Versa -- Leg room was fine, but No center arm rest unless you went out of price range. MPG wasn't GREAT either.

2010 Toyota Yaris -- Just way too small. Wanted this one, even qualified for a student grad rebate.. just tooo small.

2010 Toyota Corolla -- Just not enough leg room. Wanted this to work as well.

2010 Toyota Matrix - Just wasnt in love with it.

2008 Kia Optima Ex V6 - Loved the roominess, but 20-28 mpg wasn't going to cut it

2008 Hyundai Sonata -- Same as Kia Optima

2009 Sentra, Spectra, Sx4, Cobalt, Aveo, Rio, Accent, Elantra, Galant, Sebring, Focus, and Civic --- TOO SMALL

Liked the 2007 Accord and 2007 Camry, but then we compared it to another car with 40k left on it's warranty.

This 2006 car with 40k left on warranty was just what we wanted. It had enough room for legs, got 46mpg on average, and had a backup camera!

It was even our favorite caller (That dark toyota grey!)

yes, we chose the 2006 Toyota Prius.

Seriously, lol.. I'm a lifer I think.

This time, don't scare me so much about it's problems.. I LOVE THIS THING!

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think I would do the same thing. After a good hybrid nothing else cuts the mustard! Good choice, Hal

3. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL.
    We got an 08 Matrix in Aug of 09 (Prius was out of price range)
    Wife was in a car accident in 12/10 and we replaced the matrix with a 09 Prius.
    I was in an accident with the New Prius in 01/11 so we replaced the 09 with a 08 Prius.

Enjoy the New Car!

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wouldn't be real worried about the repairs. Yes the car has some expensive high tech components...but they are very reliable expensive high tech components regardless of what you read on here...

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That and usually people come to these forums to ask a question about a problem or an issue.

6. seatown7

seatown7 Northwest Prius Dork

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've only had a Prius for 3 weeks and I'm afraid I'm hooked as well. Can't figure out what took me so long. Congratulations on your "new" addition.

7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It seems like it is the cheap low tech stuff that goes out the most often: battery, HIDs, inverter cooling pump, engine coolant storage pump.

8. Papagoose

Papagoose New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep, I think Prii may be addictive. I'm in less than a month and can't see much reason to drive anything else. My family doesn't need a truck or SUV, towing capacity, additional seating or extreme cargo space, so this car is perfect. The 45 mpg we're averaging is saving us a bundle each week since we drive 90-100 miles every day, and as I learn more, I expect that figure to get even better.

I have a 2011 Kia Sorento sitting in the driveway getting very lonely. We were already thinking of replacing it, and it's starting to look like a 2nd Prius is in our future.

9. Bernie Ferrone

Bernie Ferrone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like to drive a lot of different cars so it would not be unusual for me to keep a car for a few months and then get another one. I have most every kind of car. Last year I bought a Prius to see what it was all about, but now I have a real challenge. I REALLY LIKE THE PRIUS. Drives great, fantastic mileage and totally trouble free. Right now I can't think of another car I would like to drive. :( Maybe a 2012 when the PHEV hits the matket. Enjoy your new car.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well you have found out what many others have as well. i am selling my 2006 and its one buyer after another who already has a Prius and liked it so much they want another one for the wife, kid, etc. mine has been for sale for over 3 weeks so the market is slow (i have it priced about $1,000 over market) but i am slowly lowering the price (not quite as slowly as gas prices have gone up lately!!)

but i started with a Prius and a truck. thought i needed the truck...hauling stuff, etc... held onto the truck, inherited a Corolla. the truck sat. eventually the Corolla started having problems, so we went out, spent about 2 minutes considering other options and decided to get a Prius. at the time, demand was so high that a new one was only a few thousand more than a lightly used one. so new we got. i have not regretted a dime of that cost.

what it would take for me to consider another car? a car more revolutionary than the Prius and finally one is available and i got it; The Nissan Leaf. check my sig

especially the part about filling up. "if my Prius was a Leaf..."

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, I bought a 2007 FJ Cruiser (blush). It's so 20th century. I actually have to get the keys out of my pocket and use them in the dash to get it going! I don't want to talk about gasoline! Just try to turn it around. It needs almost twice the turning room as the Prius. It's the new anti-Prius (the old one was a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE AWD). It does have way more power than anyone needs and terrific traction on slippery roads along with so much ground clearance it's scary.

But today I'm going out for groceries and I'm using Pearl. Enough play time for a few days! ;)
    It's so much easier to drive Pearl than the new anti-Prius.

12. timtim2008

timtim2008 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

foreal? 3 accidents? all total loss?

13. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    3 accidents in such a short period of time.. want to drive my car? i could use a new car.

14. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    He is no Stormtrooper1; Stormtrooper498763 maybe. :D The original clone troopers have excellent navigation skills among other things. The later generations are a different story.

15. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HA ha ha!
    I have Great Directional Skills...
    IT was only 2 accidents, but because of it we are on Toyota #3.
    First the Wife, Then Me. at least it evens out the blame.
    let me just say that GAP coverage was a very good investment for me this last year. paid out over $4000 on the matrix (we put 40,000 miles on that thing in a year) and paid out about $2000 to the prius when you add in the "down payment" that is gives on your replacement loan.